need some smog help please (OBD2 I/M monitors)

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 99 GTS that I have owned for 1.5 years and took it in for a smog check and the guy said that some of the inspection/maintenance monitors said unsupported and that my car was probably chipped.

I'm not aware of the computer being chipped or modified. The battery has never been disconnected since I bought it and there is no check engine light.

Borla cat back, smooth tubes/filters, that's about it.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Alex

OP
OP
A

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Failed the computer check...didn't even get to the sniffer test.

Thanks,
Alex

OP
OP
A

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were no codes set. When smog checks the computer, it checks for these inspection/maintenance monitors to be set. If they are not set, fail. In my case, they are not only not set, they say not supported.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not every feature available is always on every vehicle, so unsupported could mean you don't have it. Disconnecting the battery would make it say "not ready" for a while.

If you go to an Autozone, they'll plug in a diagnostic reader (for free) and help you figure out what it means.

Was the smog check at a state facility or connected to the state DMV office? If not, maybe the guy just didn't understand it, either.

OP
OP
A

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, what you say is probably true, but none of the 8 non-continuous monitoring tests said they were supported (catalyst, heated catalyst, evaporative system, secondary air system, a/c system, oxygen sensor, oxygen sensor heater, egr system). I have a scan tool to verify.

The smog guy is familiar with vipers...he was recommended by a local viper shop (Valaya). He said that some of those monitors should be set, but none are.

Thanks,
Alex

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not every feature available is always on every vehicle, so unsupported could mean you don't have it. Disconnecting the battery would make it say "not ready" for a while.

If you go to an Autozone, they'll plug in a diagnostic reader (for free) and help you figure out what it means.

Was the smog check at a state facility or connected to the state DMV office? If not, maybe the guy just didn't understand it, either.

Don't disconnect the battery, it'll reset all the monitors to "not ready" which is what your reporting the status of all your monitors currently is. The only thing to do is drive your car around a few miles to get some of the monitors to set to ready. Usually the easier you drive the quicker the monitors will set.

OP
OP
A

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, the problem is that they say "not supported", not "not ready". I've put on 4-5K miles since I've owned the car and have never disconnected the battery.

OP
OP
A

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. The car came with the cats intact when I purchased it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 99 GTS that I have owned for 1.5 years and took it in for a smog check and the guy said that some of the inspection/maintenance monitors said unsupported and that my car was probably chipped.

I'm not aware of the computer being chipped or modified. The battery has never been disconnected since I bought it and there is no check engine light.

Borla cat back, smooth tubes/filters, that's about it.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Alex

I believe you are correct, your computer was probably reprogrammed. A scan tool you buy at Pep Boys is not going to help you here. Not sure about Valaya, but you might want to call Dan at DC Performance. I'm guesiing your in CA as well. What I don't get though is how the car passed smog when you transferred the title? Did you have it done, or did the previous owner take care of it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant