Need to know the price of the SRT-10

S

SUN RA KAT

I plan on getting a Viper, either a GTS real soon or the SRT-10 in a year and a half. If the SRT-10 is priced much above what the current new GTS sells for, then I would want to get the GTS now while I still have a choice of colors rather than wait on a non affordable Viper (as if the GTS is that affordable).

So, does anyone have anything better than the rumors of $60K (not very likely) to $84K (possibly, but too expensive for me) on the SRT-10?

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have a SRT/10 ordered, I would say that there is little chance of buying one anywhere near the price of a current GTS. All '03 cars are spoken for and I would expect there to be a market premium for at least a year. Figure on the new car having a higher MSRP than the old car, so $80K +/- is the likely range IMO. But no one knows for sure.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

kverges -
That's why I figure if I go with the SRT-10 it will be in a year and a half - the 2004 model year. But if the $80+K price is the selling price, I would like to invest my money in the GTS. I figure that when I when I'm getting too old to drive it in 20+ years (I'm 54 now) it will sell for a decent profit because it will be a very desirable classic by then (as if it isn't already).
The supply of new GTS will dwindle for the next year, since they aren't being made anymore. I plan on keeping my Viper a long time and I couldn't be sure about what the previous owner did during the first 2,000 mile break-in period (and afterwards) to gamble $50K-$65K on. There will be a lot of fluctuations in availablity and prices for the next year in the used Viper marketplace, but just like stocks (except for Enron), the price of true classics like the original Gen I and Gen II Vipers will go up if you wait 20+ years.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car & Driver have the estimated price at $73,000!! Let's hope they know something about this, because that sounds great!
Mark O tells it! Cheaper hood, etc.. and you know they got the Corolla guy cheap!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the sticker price would reflect 79,999? That would bring the car in at say 70,000-72,000 invoice, plus shipping, plus gas tax, plus sales tax, plus dealer mark-up. In most cases the dealers seem to be setting prices are above invoice but below sticker.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketing 101:

When 'dropping hints' about the price of a new product, pick a round number that is as low as possible to quote your product being cheaper than.

They are saying "under $80k" on the Viper. You can bet it's more than $75k, or they'd say that. So MSRP will be between $75-79.9k. Steve knows of what he speaks... I'd bet money that $79k will be the number (likely $79,999).

Add in $3k gas guzzler and you're right around $83k.

Then again, I think a GTS has an MSRP of $79k with stripes?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you saw a window sticker it was probably done on photo shop> I can tell you that it was not an actual Dodge Viper SRT/10 window sticker, since they have yet to produce a Vin # to generate the report.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nsane1:
Doesn't the 79 include the guzzler? I say that because of the other posts, etc. that had th 3k imbedded in the price. I can't recall, but wasn't the 3k in the 72k msrp price? Someone posted an actual window sticker here, and I thought it was.

If that's the case, then this 79,995 number I have heard should include the 3k. Didn't I read a thread that said the guzzle wasn't really a tax, but they just itemized in the MSRP to know they had to pay the govt.

**** memory....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right - if you go to a dealer and checkout a Viper window sticker, guzzler tax will be included on it. However, the manufacturers love to quote MSRP and then say the guzzler tax is an added expense from the government.

I would very much think that the $79k quotes are before gas guzzler tax. It will say somethign like

Base Vehicle Price - $79,999
Fed. Gas Guzzler Tax - $3,000
MSRP - $82,999

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
prices of new model cars never really do come down, do they?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, the prices did go down several $k from the previous model to the present model Celicas (and the appearance took a fall too). But I doubt the Viper will.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Steve's track record, I would take his numbers to the bank.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
I was under the impression that the sticker price would reflect 79,999? That would bring the car in at say 70,000-72,000 invoice, plus shipping, plus gas tax, plus sales tax, plus dealer mark-up. In most cases the dealers seem to be setting prices are above invoice but below sticker.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't the 79 include the guzzler? I say that because of the other posts, etc. that had th 3k imbedded in the price. I can't recall, but wasn't the 3k in the 72k msrp price? Someone posted an actual window sticker here, and I thought it was.

If that's the case, then this 79,995 number I have heard should include the 3k. Didn't I read a thread that said the guzzle wasn't really a tax, but they just itemized in the MSRP to know they had to pay the govt.

**** memory....

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cody, thanks for the endorsement, but HONESTLY, I DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE!!!!

All I can say is that 2 years ago this was the target, and the "words" I have been given lead me to believe that the target has been reached. Contrary to popular belief, I only ask for information I think they will confirm, other than that, it is all speculation anyway.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have been more clear. I was referring to the post of a sticker for an older car. Of course no 03 sticker exists. It's just that when the quoted the price of 72k for an older one, that included the 3k. So, I'm betting its 79k with guzzler.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why everybody thinks the price being speculated on does not include the gas guzzler component. It does them no good to have the price at the edge of $80000.00, not an inconsequential price by the way, and then push it over with the added 3K. This is not an accounting decision, but rather a marketing decision, as the car is going to be less expensive to build, and if you figured development costs into it, forget it. If this is not a halo car it has no value to DC. I suspect that the actual sticker price will be under 80K. It just looks better. Adding a hardtop is a different matter as one does not have to purdchase that and it doesn't have to get into the headlines, particularly as it won't be available when the magazine tests are published. FWIW, I was actually hoping for a price closer to $75000.00, that would seem to be a more attainable level & the comparisons to other supercars would be more remote.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the gas guzzler tax goes to the government? If that is the case, that would make it clear that it is no different than sales tax, which is NOT included on the sticker? I think it is safe to say that what I have mentioned above is WITHOUT the gas guzzler included, as it should be.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am speculating that it does not include GG for 2 reasons.

First, is that I have heard the price's speculated upon do not include GG.

Second, because Dodge loves to quote a low price for 2 reasons. Primarily so that they can say "under $80k!". Whether you can buy one for that or not doesn't really matter. Their secondary reason for not including GG is because they pay that to the Gov't, and they want to make darn sure everyone knows about it and that the fee assessed on them by the Gov't is being passed along to the consumer.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Why IS there a gas guzzler tax on Vipers? I get 12-13 MPG in my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 (with enough engine mods to get 360 HP out of the 245 HP 360). My mileage is pretty close to what it was when it was pure stock. A LOT more Rams are sold every 3 weeks than Vipers are sold ALL year. And Vipers "can" get a LOT better gas mileage than my Ram...

Taxation WITH representation is tyranny!
Taxation WITHOUT representation is tyranny.
Get rid of the representatives and you have no taxes and no tyranny. And if not that, at least you saved tax dollars by not paying for representation. Or mis-representation, as the case may be.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, with all this $80K+ talk I'm starting to sweat a little. So, my question is a little different than MSRP, what's the SRT going to cost me? In other words, what will the invoice be, so I can add my $500 to that & know what I really need.

If this puppy is heading into the 80's+, I'm afraid that I'll be out of the running on this. I'd sure like to know before I put my RT up for sale.

This info black-out thing is truly annoying, why can't DC mail those of us who have confirmed our orders, some real info packs? Like color pics, prices, perf specs, geesh, anything, what will the start button say (lol), something, anything, buehler, buehler.

dave.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy,

I agree 1,000%!!!!

As for your cost, I've been wondering the same thing. I think invoice will be around $72k, which means we should maybe get these things for $75k (invoice+GG tax) + whatever our markup is. I would HOPE to be able to drive the car home for $76k at the MOST - I paid just under $72k for my '98 GTS.

At $80k+, it's a reeeally tough call. At $85k plus, I think I'd bail and pick up a Ferrari instead.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny asked

"Why IS there a gas guzzler tax on Vipers? I get 12-13 MPG in my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 (with enough engine mods to get 360 HP out of the 245 HP 360). My mileage is pretty close to what it was when it was pure stock. A LOT more Rams are sold every 3 weeks than Vipers are sold ALL year. And Vipers "can" get a LOT better gas mileage than my Ram..."
----------------
I believe certain trucks (and SUVs!) are exempt from some of these evil taxes...is it both the luxury tax and the gas guzzler tax, I don't recall off-hand... (some of these being "work" trucks earmarks them to be exempt for some perplexingly positive societal reason). Happy to say, I had neither lux tax or GG tax on my LX470 SUV...won't be writing my congressmen to complain.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer invoices I have seen have included the gas guzzler penalty, and I'm still betting the window sticker is under $80K. It is my impression that the GG penalty is not technically considered a tax and must therefore be included in the list price. I am wondering about the spread between the MSRP and the dealer invoice though, I was under the impression that the spread was closer to $6000.00

edit: I just checked the KBB website & they show a $6670.00 spread on an 02 GTS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang