Need to make Viper LOUDER! Exhaust Gurus Help!

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got my Borla catback installed today. It's the old Borla catback with 2 mufflers, not the "quieter" newer version with 4 muffler. Before buying the exhaust I did tons of research online but my biggest mistake was that I didn't here the Borla live! Based on my research the Borla catback was supposed to be the loudest catback with the exception of Belenger. When I got my car back today it did sound better than before, but still too quiet for my taste. On a scale of 1-10, I would rank the Borla a 4 in terms of loudness.

Here are a few questions for you guys:

1) Does it take some time for the exhaust to break in? Or is it pretty much going to sound the same?

2) I can't afford to do my headers just yet so I am going to be running the stock ones for a while, do the headers really make that big of a difference as far as sound goes?

3) I am looking to get Random Tech High flow cats installed. How will these affect the exhaust note? I don't want to remove the cats altogether.

4) Can the 2 Borla mufflers be removed entirely and replaced with bullet mufflers?

All advice will be greatly appreciated!

GB

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think headers make a significant difference regarding sound, and cats also. But why would you want it louder? Ugh I can't stand how loud my car is. I would love to have a car that ran 11s on pump gas and street tires and sounded like it was electric.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1)Break in?! Your kidding right? No, no break in.
2)A little difference in sound, what year is your car?
3)Does modify the sound a little, look at them both side by side. Size matters.
4)yes, but I would suggest thr Dynomax ultra flows.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it the 3" Borla?

Get some Roe HF Cats! Headers will help quite a bit

I have some dynomax 3" mufflers I can make you a deal on? That will make it louder! :headbang:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Step One: Sell Borla System

Step Two: Buy B&B Catback and RandomTech Matallic High Flow Cats.

Step Three: Start Car, Drive Car, Smile a lot.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try RT hi-flows or sans cats before you dump the Borla.
I believe the B&B is a little louder than the Borla.

Your neighbors will love you!

The local constabulary will love you for helping to grease the departments coffers!

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Screw your neighbors....j/k...actually my neighbors drool when I pull out of the court....original B&B,I think they may have come out with a Quieter setup......

OP
OP
G

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some AWESOME advice guys! I really appreciate it! Casey I would have taken you up on the Dynomax offer, but my muffler guy has a pair ready to go.

It's too much of a hassle to sell the Borla and buy another catback, tempting though. But I have ordered the oval 2.5 inch Roe Racing High Flow cats from Sean's website. Everything is supposed to be here by the end of the week.

What do you guys think? Will she get a little louder? Also will the dynomax muffs need to be welded on?

THANKS!

GB

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since your cat back is 3" , but the cat is 2.5, you will probably have to weld it. If it was a 3" cat, you could use 3" band clamps.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your Borla is 3". You should get the 3" Cats from Roe! No sense in taking away any power. It's easy to do, a bit of cut and weld and your in! :2tu:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the cats all together, you will like!

....what he said. Cat removal probably makes the biggest difference from where you are. Headers will be good as well, but cat elimination will make it very loud....and righteous. :2tu: