New 505 V-10 easier to work on?

jcochran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall somewhere in the NAIAS media statements that Dodge claimed that the new motor for the 2003 model will be "easier, cheaper to work on".

I was of the understanding that the current 488cu motor wasn't that much of a bearcat to work on (big, relatively simple), but aftermarket parts tended to be a bit pricey. Any idea as to what was meant by this statement (is the 505cu a more "standard" displacement size or something)?
You must be registered for see images

Thanks,

James
'00 M Roadster
'00 Viper GTS (*sniff*)

'01 225 TT Roadster
(hopefully) '02 or '03 Viper

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen-III has Pucker Power ! The Gen-III conventional hood will make lots of things PUCKER while being serviced, that never puckered in Gen I or II.

Gen- I / II is certainly simple compared to most anything on the road today....even my Neon RT !

JonB

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe what they are referring to is the fact that it is much easier to reach everything in the engine compartment. I actually had a chance to try and reach around the new compartment, and WOW, it is much easier!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Steve, after seeing the installation, even with the conventional hood, many things that were hard to get at in the Chapter I and II cars are easily accessible in the Chapter III engine bay. Team Viper not only solicited and took into account input from the Viper Owners, they also did the same for Viper Techs and Viper Tech trainers. I'm betting most will feel the Chapter III car is much easier to service and work on than the earlier cars.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve & jay,

i am a vca member. how can i take advantage of the benefits of being a member and seeing this car first hand.Since i couldn't get to the show ???

frank b

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, you haven't missed your opportunity to see the new car. It is in St. Louis this week and then Chicago in mid February. If you don't want to travel that far than may I suggest the New York show. There is a post on the general discussion page listing the exact dates for all these shows.

With the new hood and fender design I bet someone should come up with a VIPER fender cover so you don't scratch the paint. Wait a minute,....hey, whoever produces one I think I deserve a small fee for thinking of it (Jan 27,2001 8:22 p.m. CDT). Jay you do archive this don't you?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new york show will be the closest. does anyone know when this show starts & ends.

frank

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin, the CHAPTER 3 Viper is not currently scheduled to make a trip West. I think the plan is to get it out to the LA show next January.

Frank, you need to get to the Chicago show! Let me know if you can make it. Kim and I have enough room to house you for a few nights!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Stay tuned... NJ region will be having an NY Auto Show event!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank I would be surprised if that was even close. Viper owners seem to know more about working on their own cars than any other make of car I have ever been around. It wasn't until I owned a Viper that I learned how to actually turn a wrench. Now I work on all my cars. And when I have a question on how to fix something, I call Viper owners. They always seem to know how to fix it!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, you got it. I usually call Bill or Ron SR at SVSi. They let me go to the shop at show me what to do to fix whatever I need to get done. If they need the space they fix it for me, but if the space is available they let me at it (scary thought).

The main point is that many of the members I have met have always been a big help in providing information that allows for non-mechanical people, such as myself, to learn how to do their own maintenance on a Viper! That is one of the benefits of the VCA.

Reaction score
Work on the Viper? I have oil, filters, wrenches, sockets, pliers, pipe wrench, propane soldering unit all this and I have never had a problem that needed fixed. I am glad everything works well because I can not find the interior hood release? Sure glad my Viper does not needed fixed! I did fix a cat once!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala