New battery time. Questions...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.k. so I want to replace the battery in my '01 RT/10. It's about that time. I replaced the battery when I got the car eight years ago and it seems like it's starting to go so now is the time. I wanted to replace the OEM with a Die Hard Platinum series but I have hit a seed bump. They are only making that battery now (for the '01s fitment group) in a duel post set up. Top posts AND side posts. SO what battery would everyone recommed. Just take a step down to the gold series? I don;t think the Platinum will fit with the duel posts if memory serves me right. Any help is appreciated. :)

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Diehard Advanced Gold AGM. Group size 78. Model #50778.

Always well recommended and what I chose to replace my old Optima with. Size 78 fit PERFECT in my 96gts, but I have heard that others have had to go to a size 75

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Bosch - not cheap but occasionally on sale. 36/96 month warranty, side terminal and it lasts... 7+ years and still going strong. Available at Pep Boys - Fits 1996 GTS perfectly and with a Battery Mat underneath, zero tray corrosion.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to have to replace mine soon too. I've had the same optima battery in for 12 years. Seriously, it didn't start to go until my car became a garage queen.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My original battery died two years ago pulling into Carlisle.

Started car in trailer, back out, parked on field, opened door, big mud puddle (was still somewhat raining), closed door, tried to start, was dead.

Put in a red top (all that was available in the tiny town) and that is still whats in there. Have had no odd things happen so far like some have reported on these red tops.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent feedback on the Optimas?

My most recent experience was 3yrs ago, but it's the last I'll ever have with a red top... probably any Optima. Definitely not worth the hassle when you can get great AGM batteries from the likes of Duralast and DieHard for less money.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.k. so I want to replace the battery in my '01 RT/10. It's about that time. I replaced the battery when I got the car eight years ago and it seems like it's starting to go so now is the time. I wanted to replace the OEM with a Die Hard Platinum series but I have hit a seed bump. They are only making that battery now (for the '01s fitment group) in a duel post set up. Top posts AND side posts. SO what battery would everyone recommed. Just take a step down to the gold series? I don;t think the Platinum will fit with the duel posts if memory serves me right. Any help is appreciated. :)

Duralast Platinum (AGM) Group 78. The Duralast batteries are the best I've run in several years. I use their lead acid units in my DDs and now run the AGM in my Viper. Can't beat the price and I've yet to have a single reliability problem through a half dozen batteries in various vehicles over almost 10yrs.