New colored dash lights are in!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got everything back together, and I have to say I like the blue LED a LOT better than the old yellowish incandescent bulbs.

One thing for you guys ordering these to think about though. I think the link that was provided to buy these were a size 10 bulb or something like that. I think every bulb I replaced except for the odometer light, were more like a size 12. I just had to bend the copper receptors inside each plug to make them a little tighter so it would hold the LEDs securely.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet I love it! If I dont sell my car I am gonna order the xenon white for mine and will post pics too:2tu: Do they dim up and down like the halogen bulbs? Do they have any flickering?

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seem to dim up and down fine and didn't notice any flickering. The real test will be real world use, but I don't expect any issues.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got everything back together, and I have to say I like the blue LED a LOT better than the old yellowish incandescent bulbs.

One thing for you guys ordering these to think about though. I think the link that was provided to buy these were a size 10 bulb or something like that. I think every bulb I replaced except for the odometer light, were more like a size 12. I just had to bend the copper receptors inside each plug to make them a little tighter so it would hold the LEDs securely.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Did the ones that came off have a size code?

Knowing how tight the suspension is in the Viper, I wonder if those will ever shake loose???

I ordered mine a couple days ago--I just sent a message to the guy I ordered from to ask if there was a "next size up" or if he knew what would fit a Viper. I'm kind of afraid he might triple the price now...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thanks for clearing that up for me........:smirk:

Just doing my good deed for the day! :)

You gave me the perfect set up. Couldn't resist... In all seriousness, I think red would look great. I saw a picture (not on a Viper) with red ones and it was very nice. They are cheap. Give it a try. Post a pic and then say "There you go wise-guy" they actually look quite red.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that looks damn cool!! I wonder what red would look like??

I put my red in tonight. Honestly they don't look any different than the red ones I did with a colored Sharpie. Kind of a waste of money but oh well. Also don't know why two gauges aren't lighting correctly.

You must be registered for see images

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, send me the seller or item number of yours. I thought I bought from the same guy but mine aren't as bright as yours. And not I have to drop the steering column and remove the painted bezel to figure why those 2 gauges are so dim compared to the others. I may put the Sharpies back in. They looked fine.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Done with red sharpie. I think these look better. Yes/ no????

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlackMoon- for the ones that aren't lighting up, you need to flip the bulb around inside the socket.
LEDs have a polarity.

The red ones you did look way more red/way less pink than the ones you did with the Sharpie.

My red ones will be here this week. I'll post a pic once they're installed.
Oh, and I (think I) got the correct size. No prong-bending or anything like that. They should just drop-in.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the item number I bought.
I contacted the seller and he sent me the listing number for the "buy it now" listing. Just search for 400196971811 on Ebay.

I had one bad LED out of the bunch. I tried it both ways and moved it to a different spot, but it just would not work. I wanted to get everything back together and with the PITA it is to pull everything apart, I'll just leave it as not working. There's enough light anyway.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the item number I bought.
I contacted the seller and he sent me the listing number for the "buy it now" listing. Just search for 400196971811 on Ebay.

I had one bad LED out of the bunch. I tried it both ways and moved it to a different spot, but it just would not work. I wanted to get everything back together and with the PITA it is to pull everything apart, I'll just leave it as not working. There's enough light anyway.

Thank you sir.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sal,

Post up some pics in the light. I want to see how your dash turned out.
You making it to the get together at the end of this month?

You'll never believe this, but I found the missing bolt for my seat this weekend! The girlfriend thought she dropped her phone under the passenger seat and when I went to look, I couldn't get the seat to slide forward or backward. After yanking on it a while, it gave way and the missing bolt was laying on the floor. It must have gotten stuck in the track when we had the seats out! :)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sal,

Post up some pics in the light. I want to see how your dash turned out.
You making it to the get together at the end of this month?

You'll never believe this, but I found the missing bolt for my seat this weekend! The girlfriend thought she dropped her phone under the passenger seat and when I went to look, I couldn't get the seat to slide forward or backward. After yanking on it a while, it gave way and the missing bolt was laying on the floor. It must have gotten stuck in the track when we had the seats out! :)

What get together?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's some memory file that's reminding me that red light (only) does not detract for your night vision. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I think I might go with the blue light regardless, since I think it looks pretty cool. I have something similar in my Infiniti FX and we like it. Of course after a while, it becomes ordinary (just like added HP :)), but since I plan to do some dash and bezel work this spring, I might as well go bluish.

For those that have converted to blue, at night, is the gauge visibility pretty much the same as the OE bulbs? I agree it looks way cool ... but can you see the damn needles and the gauge face?

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's some memory file that's reminding me that red light (only) does not detract for your night vision. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I think I might go with the blue light regardless, since I think it looks pretty cool. I have something similar in my Infiniti FX and we like it. Of course after a while, it becomes ordinary (just like added HP :)), but since I plan to do some dash and bezel work this spring, I might as well go bluish.

For those that have converted to blue, at night, is the gauge visibility pretty much the same as the OE bulbs? I agree it looks way cool ... but can you see the damn needles and the gauge face?

When I was a Merchant ******, we always burned only red bulbs in the wheel house at night, so as to not distract from our night vision. :)

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Process write-up:

Remove driver's seat.
Remove steering column surround pieces.
Remove lower dash, where your pedal adjustment button is.
Remove center console.
Remove trim piece where your shifter bezel is. You will need to remove the shifter too, but then you can move it around out of the way enough without taking the parking brake handle off.
Remove center trim piece where the HVAC controls are.
Remove trim piece that runs over the speedo cluster and around the outside of the center trim piece. It's all one big piece.
Remove panel containing oil P, etc gauges and change out the lights. Test and make sure they all work properly. You WILL have some in that do match the polarity and you will need to reverse them.
Remove speedo cluster and do the dame thing.
I used all 10 bulbs I got because I changed the bulb that lights up your odometer as well. I noticed someone above left that one stock.
I have no issues with vision at night (you can dim them also) and I can read the gauges just fine. The odometer is a little harder to read, but I like the look and I don't count the miles anyway.

I know this is not very detailed, but I get too detailed when I really explain things and it would take me hours and hours and to try to really write this up.

If anyone is doing this and hits a snag, post on here or PM me with your number and I'll give you a call.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960