New Guy Question

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jav8or

Don't know where you are located, regardless, find a VCA reputable shop. Have them do the inspection. There is always that deal that's "too good to be true". You appear to have cash in hand - best place to be as a buyer & thus you have NO excuse to get in a hury and snap up the 1st one you can get financed on. Buying one "in the family" (VCA) is a great start and usually you have a history you can research before you buy (search seller's posts, find out what kind of owner/driver they were, read about all or none of the problems they've ever had). Buying a reputable car for a little more than you would an "unknown" can return huge savings.

Little things from accidents, abuse, it used to be a SC/TT car, etc. can easily rack up huge repair bills or leave you with a $35k GTS inop in the garage because you're saving up the $15k to have the engine rebuilt or frame straightened out, etc.

Car dealers usually buy from auction and have no idea the history of the vehicle (the records that the original owner purposely left with the car in a neat binder will be removed and trashed by the dealership's make-ready shop). Some car dealers take the car in on trade. Being the Devil's advocate: if I abused the car to the point of trashing the engine/frame - I'd duct tape it together with the least amount of money, cover it all with shiny paint and off load it for "book value" to a dealer on a new car for $40k worth of trade-in for a car that's really worth $20k or less once you factor the repairs.

Dealer will shine it up, not drive it except in test drives - sell it as-is and pray you make it 3 days before it lets go. Unfortunately these cars are getting old enough, and thanks to the last 3 years, cheap enough that folks that probably could/should not have bought these cars have (can't afford the maintenance, etc). A $25k Viper is hard to ignore for a younger pony car person to upgrade to the big league. If I was 21 and in the market for a $25k car it wouldn't be a pony car if I could buy a Viper for the same $$$$. I would never even consider the $2000 tire cost or $150 oil changes - I'd only see the shiny paint and **** form.

Disclaimer: I personally would not do that - talk to any dealer (mechanic) and you will find the unfortunate truth.

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Bought a Viper!

2000 GTS Steel Grey, Pretty Much Bone Stock, 34K mi. Very Decent Shape!

Picked her up for less than 31K (pretty much why I had to pull the trigger ahead of my 6-12 month schedule), Guy didnt have any use for it anymore. Drove her back 9 hours, and beside being scared $hitless for the first 30 Min, it was perfect. So how do I start to be a new Viper Owner, LOL?

P.S. Everything you guys told me helpout a lot. Especially the GTS checklist.

Thanks again

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. Sounds like a winner!

Assuming you are OK getting familiar with the underside of the car, start with fluid changes and go from there.

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, I get dirty for a living. That is on the schedule. The battery in the car will not hold a charge, previous owner reduced the price $300 so I wouldnt have to come out of pocket replacing it. So battery first. Fluid changes this weekend.

Does anyone know how to pull the trim around the radio out. The headunit he had in there quit working and I think there is a loose connection behind it, but I cant seem to figureout how to pull it out? any insight?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the car. Taking the center trim out is easy, just go slow and use something soft to pry it away (I use body panel removal tools).

Get a good new battery (I love Diehard gold series) and a Battery Tender ASAP! Also, remember to clean the battery tray (if needed) and install a battery mat as long as you're in there. Post up any questions on here, or shoot me a PM if you need my number.

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I really appreciate the matureness of this forum. I am glad to be apart of it.

The previous owner didnt have the jack. What are my options as I want to remove the rear tire?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars are plenty stiff.....you can use a floor jack on the front tab and it'll lift the whole side. Make sure you place the jack on the welded loop and NOT on the sill structure! Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the rear frame member from behind the car.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll likely run into battery issues throughout your extended ownership unless you get a battery tender…I did too, don’t ask me why. I won’t speak for the newer models, but for some reason the GEN 1 cars tend to bleed power and take a lot of cranking amps. A lot of battery tenders come with a few different lead options, i.e. ring terminals and clamps. Some guys just install the ring terminals that come with the tender to the jumper convenience termination points up by the driver’s side fender well. Then, they just plug in the quick disconnects when they park it. If you do it right, the leads won’t be visible and you won’t have to pop the hood to plug it in. You’ll know the area when you see it. This is just suggested and in your case, the battery was dead, so I suspect the same power guzzling rule applies for your snake.

Not sure what to suggest about your jack…just be cautious when jacking up the back. These bad boys are stiff and you’ll likely take more than just your target tire off the ground. If you’re not careful, she’ll try to roll on you. I always chalk the front tires.

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the assistance!

Just got done replacing the battery. Total time once I had all the tools was around 30 minutes. Why have 4 different sizes of hardware to replace a battery is beyond me... But anyway, the car starts like a champ. I ended up using my S2000's jack to get the wheel off. It was rated to a max weight of 1500lbs so I thought it was fine. Hopefully I will be able to get a dedicated jack in the near future. I have a battery tender so I will definitely be making more use for it now!

Now I have to figure out how to get the radio working.... Anyone have any advice besides going to my local audio shop?

BTW, thanks to all of you on here. My Viper ownership is already off to a great start!

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, the fuse was blown on the hidden amplifier. Today I am batting two for two! Tomorrow I may even get to change the Oil!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jav8or Congratulations & Welcome to the club! You bought my Favorite Color (I might be a lil' biased though). Just keep listening to the guys (& gals) on here & you'll be Fine. I Forgot to add, you've got to put up some Pics or it don't exist (at least that's what I always heard). jmo

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, ok, I'll post some pics. The Gray Ghost (That's what the Viper is called now, came up with it on my 9 Hr ride back) is pretty stock looking, but I'll post some up in a bit.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is.
Thanks for the pics, I think it looks Great! I know you had said you had a few odds & inns to do to it, but for that price I think you did really well. Are you planning on doing any mods to it, & do you think you'll ever put the stripes on it or just leave it alone. I'm still fighting with myself over it, but if I do it'll probably be the vinyl so if I ever want to take them off I can. I know you just got it & right now you're just SO Excited just to have a Viper, don't worry you got plenty of time to do the mods if you want them. Good Luck & stay safe!

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haha, ok, I'll post some pics. The Gray Ghost (That's what the Viper is called now, came up with it on my 9 Hr ride back) is pretty stock looking, but I'll post some up in a bit.

My Viper's name is "Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster". :headbang: Only because it's the coolest name on Earth...no big deal though. :D

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mods for me. Only thing im gonna do to it is replace the Sub i blew..... I kinda like the no stripe look too. What mods do you have?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mods for me. Only thing im gonna do to it is replace the Sub i blew..... I kinda like the no stripe look too. What mods do you have?
I've only done the basic smooth tubes, RT high flow cats & I did the muffler delete (but last week put the magna flow mufflers on) to me it just started sounding like a loud muffler with a hole in it so I put the magna flows on. I have several of the interior MGW goodies but I probably won't be doing anything else to the motor as its plenty fast for me (no future racing, strip or track). The only other thing I've been fighting myself over other than the stripes is putting the 3.55 gears in, they say doing that is like adding another 60-70hp seat of the pants ONLY though, I don't think they actually add anything other than it feels like its alot faster! I will probably get another Viper later on, but I don't think I'll ever sell this one. When I was looking to buy one I didn't want anything after the 02' models strictly because of the body style changes BUT since I've been on here for a lil' over a year have come to really appreciate the newer Vipers more than I ever thought I would (there's some Beautiful ones on here) so thats why I said I'll probably add one to the stable later on, most likely an 08' or newer! Forgot to add, I'm Strongly thinking about getting a Lemke top (heard they are fixing to quit selling them) but they look 1000% better than the oem's. jmo

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got a good one at a great price! Definitely go with the smooth tubes and change all the fluids. Also the rear muffler delete or magna flows if you want some extra sound. I know you don't like stripes but they're badass. Steel gray w/black stripes look awesome. It's all subjective. It's gotta be what you want. Congrats!

OP
OP
J

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why didnt the GTS come with smooth tubes from the factory? It seems less complicated than making the spring kind.