New headers - will the Header Fairy appear to me in a dream?

Stupid Weezel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do I know if I need new headers?

I have a '94 with 24K miles, and they've never been replaced.

Also, what would happen if they were bad and DIDN'T get replaced?

Lastly, does anyone know a shop in my location that can do this with bending me over?

I live in near Ogden, UT.

Thanks....

D

DAMN YANKEE

Are you asking what to do when your headers run out? When they do, the red warning light on the dash will blink "AHF" (approaching header failure) and you will get the typical low tone warning buzzer. You might as well replace the manifold filter then too as they both last about as long. I only got 22k out of my first header (left side failure, #11), I'm thinking that swapping them out with the lighter fiberglass units they use on vettes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the headers were supposed to changed out with the spark plugs every 3,000 miles?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the headers were supposed to changed out with the spark plugs every 3,000 miles?

Tony... Like D'Yank said, as long as the yellow AHF light is not on you can go to 15K miles. Of course if you are using the older water based metal alloy castings, those have been a problem with leaking fluid onto the muffler bearings. That starts to get expensive quickly. Just use icebox grease until you get the upgrade completed!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you asking what to do when your headers run out? When they do, the red warning light on the dash will blink "AHF" (approaching header failure) and you will get the typical low tone warning buzzer. You might as well replace the manifold filter then too as they both last about as long. I only got 22k out of my first header (left side failure, #11), I'm thinking that swapping them out with the lighter fiberglass units they use on vettes.

DY - i think the '94s were pre
blink "AHF"
and that light was a continual "IHF" (Impending Header Failure) and was changed to AHF because of the Automotive Ebonics Linguistic Clarification Act of 1995

fwiw

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony... Like D'Yank said, as long as the yellow AHF light is not on you can go to 15K miles. Of course if you are using the older water based metal alloy castings, those have been a problem with leaking fluid onto the muffler bearings. That starts to get expensive quickly. Just use icebox grease until you get the upgrade completed!

:mad: So, I've wasted money on at least 6 sets of replacement headers to date by changing every 3K miles as opposed to every 15K miles. I kept the old headers in the basement...maybe I could this frown into a smile by making some kind of free-standing art with the old headers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:mad: So, I've wasted money on at least 6 sets of replacement headers to date by changing every 3K miles as opposed to every 15K miles. I kept the old headers in the basement...maybe I could this frown into a smile by making some kind of free-standing art with the old headers.

Just drill them out. I've heard they will flow much better with the extra holes. Plus, your cooling with become proportional to the spark coefficients assuming you are also using the optional drilled exhaust valves. I've recycled parts like this for years. DeWalt 18V is my best friend come rebuild day!

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Stupid Weasel you may get some better answers to your question over on the alley website. I think you will happier with their responses.:D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO. good stuff guys:lmao:

My first impression was sensing an 18yr old with no knowlege of cars that got a great deal on a gen1 due to someone dumping it because they cant keep theyre toy in this economy. Get used to it guys, there will be many many more as these cheap gen1's get into the hands of other stupid weezels:(

Or could just be a late Aprilfools joke. I hope!!!!!

OP
OP
S

Stupid Weezel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Crap. Yeah, I meant HEAD GASKETS.

No, this is not an April Fool's joke. And yes, I don't know too much about cars. So what? That's why I'm posting threads.

I've been in the Air Force for 19+ years, thru 4 wars, and my expertise lies in Air Traffic Control.

To Dom426h, I'm not 18, I'm 37, and I've owned my Viper for
over 6 years.

My Viper only has 24K miles cuz I'm too busy going to Iraq every 6 months. Care to join me Dom? I've got some extra body armor for you.

Unless of course, you're too busy making inaccurate first impressions.

OP
OP
S

Stupid Weezel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was not one thing "funny" about Dom's disrespectful and condescending comments.

I thought this site was to help each other. I'm just a regular guy trying to live my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was not one thing "funny" about Dom's disrespectful and condescending comments.

I thought this site was to help each other. I'm just a regular guy trying to live my life.

x.

:dunno: dude,

you are way off base

:nono: re-read this thread, noting the date o-posted (april 1st) and noting your error (repeated 3 times)
with a mind to friendly april fools ribbing, and then think about how mature your last post is :confused:

cant speak for DY or Plum or the other

:omg: but i'm not a mind reader
:omg: and am
only with my closest friends,

and we just met

how you doin' bro?

shalom

p.s. when i said
SW - welcome aboard :usa::2tu::usa:
i meant it, in a good way as you had only 9 posts then

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok Francis, i really am an @zz but not cause of what i typed in response to your sorry self. please go away. or better yet just die.

your name does have at least some honesty in it, ok maybe total honesty.....lol

i love it when a simple forum with a few posts in reply can get a tool like Francis all fired up and crying, it makes me giggle

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil, you are on your game today :lmao::lmao:

Given that Francis is in the Air Force, I won't hold that against him. There are plenty of prior military and military members on this board including me(Army-retired). So please don't give the impression that our service members don't have a sense of humor. You posted up an incomplete question and some made light of it. If you can't take a little ribbing, it is you that is the arrogant one and not these fine people. If your skin is soooooooooo thin, you might be better off to go to ViperAlley.Com - Dodge Viper Forum. They are more suited to your needs.............................. :D

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys... Just wanted to report back that I've completed my 30K mile header change. Yeah, just like Tony suggested I did the headliner and wheel weights too. Kind of a 3 in 1 project you know.

I'll try to get pics up later today for the Illustrated Upgrade section!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weezel.....I took the liberty of editing out your name calling. I must advise you that we don't tolerate personal attacks on this site.
Your User Name , your newb status and your unintended mistake of refering to headers rather than head gaskets led the group (including me) to presume that it was indeed an April Fools joke.
And frankly we do get a lot of teenagers that try and tweak us occaisionally, so it was not really out of bounds for someone to assume that this is the case.

Now presuming you ARE real I would suggest that any comepent Viper Tech at a dealership could do the job.
I also suggest that any dealership can run your vin through the computer and tell you if this has already been done or not.
I also suggest calling a guy we refer to as the Wizard, Chuck Tator at Tator Dodge in NY. He is too far away from you obviously to do the work but he can....

A. Tell you the signs to look for.
B. Run the VIN for you
C. Sell you discounted parts and advice on how to do it yourself.
D. He might even know a dealer out there.

His number is 914.763.3136 Tell him Lee said to call.

And to the gentlemen of the site...funny stuff guys, but I think he may be real and he is a serviceman.
So can some of you Gen1 guys cough up real advice on this? And anyone out his way in Utah to advise on someone to do the work?

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Weezel - I can't give any advise with the early head gaskets, but if you can't find anyone in the SLC area, I would recommend Lythia Dodge in Twin Falls, ID. Although it's a couple hours from Ogden, the dealership used to specialize in new and used vipers - back when it was Latham Dodge. As a result they have a couple of viper techs that are really good. I took my 2000 GTS there for the frame recall as they seemed much more knowledgeable than either of the dealers in the Boise area.

OP
OP
S

Stupid Weezel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the authentic advice, guys.

I just ordered another layer of epidermis with 3-day shipping.

Upon arrival next week, my skin should be thicker.

Next time I post, I'll do it on Mar 31st or Apr 2nd.

Disclaimer: As a guy who doesn't know too much about cars, I am bound to make mistakes with technical Viper terms (like, what's a steering wheel?).

So please bear with me. That's why I'm seeking your expertise.

I respect your knowledge.

In retrospect, I do apologize for the adolescence.

I Wikipedia-ed all you guys, and none of your names are synonymous with what I called you. Sorry.

Sincerely signed,

~ Not Stupid, not a Weezel, and not 18. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Wikipedia-ed all you guys, and none of your names are synonymous with what I called you. Sorry.

Sincerely signed,

~ Not Stupid, not a Weezel, and not 18. :)

It's tough to dissect an apology from a smart ass comment, but so be it.

So welcome to the insanity. Maybe even join the VCA as there is a wealth of info here that membership provides access to.

Anyway, I won't be following your analogy of yourself, as I am Dave, and I am 6666.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
appreciate your good humor :headbang:

it's all good :drive:

the important thing is "viper owner" under your screen name :2tu:

peace :)

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I know if I need new head gaskets?
I have a '94 with 24K miles, and they've never been replaced.
Also, what would happen if they were bad and DIDN'T get replaced?
Lastly, does anyone know a shop in my location that can do this with bending me over?Thanks....

Ok, I have a GEN 1 so maybe I can help..

How do I know if I need new head gaskets? Jack your car up, crawl under it and look up towards the heads/headers. If you find "wet" or stained coolant stains running from headgaskets area along the block, you propably will need to replace gaskets soon. If you need pictures, PM me.

Also, what would happen if they were bad and DIDN'T get replaced? Not much initially. Eventually they wil start leaking and your oil/water will mix. The gaskets will look like rusty thin crumbled crap outside the block. If this is the looks, you got propably old ones and its only matter of time when... Mine went out at 25K.

Hope this helps?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Generation were notorious for needing replacement head gaskets. There have been several releases of improved gaskets, with each release being better.

Get yours changed out, and check that one job off your list.

Enjoy your Viper, and I hope everyone realizes that while this post got off track quickly, now that the truth is known, we can all chill a bit.

Now we can go back to complaining why head gaskets cost so much : >)