New Iphone 4S VS GoPro

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up the new Iphone 4S today boasting a 1080P HD camcorder. (along with some other neat improvements) I took some video with it, I personally thinks it looks as good as any of the GoPro footage I've seen. I'm sure I wouldn't want to strap it to the outside of the car though. I just had the phone strapped to a GPS suction cup, so a proper mounting bracket would probably provide a more stable picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiCvYdCeGU

Love it so far.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then look at Harry's GPS Lap Timer for those days at the track .... there are a few other cool automotive apps to look at also.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, there are a couple on youtube under my user name AndyMac469. Nothing real special though. You'll see an old video when I had small T3 turbos and 3" exhaust. I'm running 4" exhaust now and some heavy ass T4's.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! Hopefully the Harry's app will update to take advantage of the new hardware. Update us on the GPS refresh rate if you get a chance...

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread, I don't expect the GPS refresh rate on the new iPhone will be any faster. It is plenty good for 99% of the population and the corner cases such as motorsports don't really warrant a change. Speed = Heat = Faster Battery Depletion

If you haven't seen it in action, this is from my iPhone4 with Harry's Lap timer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLrkHiLK_k&feature=channel_video_title

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks as good as GoPro to me. I have a GoPro and really like the stabilization software....not sure how it works but it really does a good job supressing vibrations. If you have a pal with a GoPro, do a side by side test.....go over some slightly bumpy roads and try some high speed stuff where vibrations from the road and wind tend to be the fiercest......and see if you can tell the diff between the two.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the GoPro (not the wide) and iPhone. I like that I can stick the GoPro in a lot of different locations, but don't like that I always forget to turn it on and it is very hard to see if it is on when heading out on the track.

With the iPhone stuck on the window you can see what is going on. The GoPro would be totally awesome if it had a remote on button and they added a GPS

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks good. but the gopro will reduce the vibrations. not bad quality at all out of a phone.

I guess soon as they start making cases and brackets specifically for them you could moutn it anywhere.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks very nice for a phone but i assume the GoPro has better quality in lowlight situations.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to fix all the GPS chip problems you can pickup the Emprum UltiMate GPS that speeds the sampling up 5 times. Plenty of suction cup mount options available I went with a Ram mount that seems very solid. and the one major program short coming of Harry's at the track is video on every other lap only, seems to be close to being addressed with the updated iphones dual processor. Looks like version 15 of the software will address this. Now being I am in the south, heat is the last item that needs to be addressed. The phone goes into protection mode after 15 mins or so when driving in 100 degree heat, haven't solved this one yet.

Oh and don't forget the Kiwi OBD2 wireless plug if you want your Tach, gear and accelerator data on the screen overlay also.

Richard