New Owner -- Engine Sounds Questions

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all

Took delivery of my ACR today and noticed a very distinced lifter sound at around 2k. The car is all stock with 7 k miles on it. Is this normal for the viper.

Thanks

Looki

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I asked the same question when I picked up my 06'. It sounds like a "Sewing Machine", or like a solid lift cam engine that needs a valve adjustment. YES, I was told that it is normal for the Vipers to sound like this. It is probably some valve lifter noise but I was told that most of the sound is coming from the fuel injectors. I guess it is the same for all generation Vipers. Someone else will chime in if I am wrong. Happy and safe driving and congradulations. :drive: :2tu: There is nothing like driving a VIPER! :headbang:

Last edited:

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi... I have what i described as a ticking sound between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. People told me to check my headers or header gasket. I took it in and discovered a cracked header. I'm just in the process of having new ones installed, so I don't really know if it's going to get rid of the noise or not, but I'll let you know.

If nothing else I'll have a new set of hennesey headers...lol

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As long as your car is full of oil, I would say what you are hearing are in injector solinoids firiing. My ACR will have some lifter noise on cold start-up until oil pressure comes up on the gauge, but this is primarily due to the different oil bypass system on ACR's. They run oil through the cooler all the time, not just when the oil is hot or when the air conditionaing is shut off. If you will watch the gauge carefully, you will probably notice that your oil pressure will actually increase over the first few miles after a cold start. this is due to the oil warming and having less restriction in flowing through the cooler.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a very slight amount of what might be described as lifter noise. I never really had thought about it being injector solenoids. I have listened to an '06 Coupe that a friend was considering buying. It had the same noise but was a little louder.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960