New power steering pump? Gen I

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. I took the car to a track last weekend, now I got few leaks. I took it to a shop and the guy told me that I need a new power steering pump. From what I saw, there is some fluid accumulation on the reservoir (tank) between the PS tank and the pulley. Some of that liquid ended up on the floor. Looks like it was spraying, but the pulley itself if totally dry. I would think that this kind of accumulation would contaminate the surrounding area including the pulley. So not sure if it’s a common problem, and an easy fix? I was quoted $150 for the pump. Seems a bit low? Are the pumps readily available for GEN I?
BTW, I am also waiting for the upper rad hose from Viper Parts Of America.

:dunno:

jimi_craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
might be the front seal of the power steering pump and at a 150 sounds like a remand. pump but i might be wrong but going by what you have said it sounds like a shaft seal i have a rebuilt kit for it but its not worth the haste just get the new pump if it is defective

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The highest power steering pump pressures are when you turn the wheel all the way to the stop and you hear the squeal. Try that with the hood open and someone looking. If no spray, then maybe while on the track the higher temperatures and sloshing around came from a loose or poorly sealing cap - that would explain the mess all over. If it really was a seal or leak, the spray would be somewhat localized.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Power Steering Reservor might have develped a leak. When was the last time you changed your fluid before you went to the track?

Reaction score
The list price for a Mopar power steering pump from you local Dodge dealer is $547.00 (part #4642153). The reservoir package with clips and O-rings lists for $99.70 - again, OEM Mopar from your local Dodge dealer (part #83503495). While there is a somewhat more limited supply of reservoir kits, the pumps themselves (fits 1992-2002) are plentiful.

PS. Your upper hose shipped on Tuesday. :D

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest cleaning the entire area off so that there's no standing fluid. Starter fluid works well for that. Then, get the PS hot and have someone turn the wheel while you look for leaks. You should see something get wet in the suspicious area. The tank is separate from the pump and there is a seal between the two.

I chased PS leaks from the track on my Gen1 for a long while. The reservoir on mine did have a leak and needed replacing. However, all my seals on the hoses were also old enough to leak. One thing I did discover on the hoses is that you don't want to torque them hard. The seal takes the torque and will get flattened if you torque it hard.

I ended up putting in a PS cooler. After tracking a while without it, I think that it's an easy and worth while mod for a Gen1 that hits the track on a regular basis.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're lucky the car didn't catch fire. Many have burned due to Hyd. fluid coming from the P/S pump(cop off, hose breaking). I have a couple with the reservoir. PM me.

OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, after all, the leak wasn't caused by the pump, rather it was due to a leak through the seal between the pump and a container. I had a new pump ordered beforehand and I figured might as well to replace it. So, now I have one extra used pump in very good condition. :)

OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Month and a half ago I replaced a seal that goes between the reservoir and the pump. While driving normally I started hearing the pump giving noise, checked the tank, and to my surprise found it almost empty. From what it appears, the seal is leaking again. What gives? Do I need a special kind of seal there? I used a regular rubber O-ring from a seal kit. What can I do to seal that thing once and for all?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider also changing the High pressure line and return hose if have have not already due to age (Cheap insurance against fire hazard). Gen I's do not have power steering coolers so this would be a good time to add one. Gen II's have one installed on the frame rail behind the radiator in front of the engine. Gen 4's have the PS cooler installed in front of the radiator behind the grill. I just installed an after market cooler on my 95 (JEGS) in front of the radiator thinking that would be the best place for maximum cooling. Make sure to use Power Steering return line hose 11/32 inch (3/8 inch should work as well). I ran the PS return line through 3/4 inch radiator hose in the rub point areas to avoid future problems. :2tu:

Last edited:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you have a p/s leak again. Did you use an o-ring made of Viton or some other material? (I'm assuming the seal is an o-ring).

Viton would be the material to use. They are brown in color in North America and can put up with heat and petroleum chemicals.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you isolate where the leak is? I use starter fluid to completely clean off that section of the engine, and any other potentially related leak areas first. Then, start tracing back the fluid. I wouldn't expect the seal to leak enough after 1 month of normal driving to completely drain the fluid. I'd be suspicious of another leak or perhaps an issue with the reservoir.

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some o rings of the proper material. I couldn't just buy one. If you send me your address, I will send you one. This is the o ring between the pump and the reservoir. It looks a little different than the original. It has been working on my car for thousands of miles and over a year.

OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some o rings of the proper material. I couldn't just buy one. If you send me your address, I will send you one. This is the o ring between the pump and the reservoir. It looks a little different than the original. It has been working on my car for thousands of miles and over a year.

Thank you for your kind offer, but I already took the car back to the shop that changed my pump. They seem to have fixed the issue. Near time will tell if the fix was good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang