New PS2 but old DOT ?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody remember the "special" SnakeOyl ran on Pilot Sports about 6 yrs ago? $1000 set! I jumped on it. I can't remember, but they were probably 3 yrs old and they wanted to move them out. I ran them for 4 years I think. Put about 15-20k miles on them on the street and track. Picked up a few nails, plugged 'em and moved on. No problems. (but then again, I obey ALL posted speed limits :D)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....... For me personally it would have shown more of the integrity of the vendor I bought them from, Full Disclosure so that it's MY decision to put three year old tires on my car and not someone who is only worried about their bottom line and not their consumers interest at heart. What my car wears now are still 100% better than what it had but can't shake the feeling I was douped into buying NOS tires....

Mutts, et al: First off, the inherent anonymity of this site means that in most cases I dont know if Im addressing a customer or not. So by 'MUTTS' alone I do not know if PartsRack sold the tires. Even so, I reply 'on behalf of the integrity of all vendor-distributors' when I say again: We Generally Do Not Know, and cannot quote In Advance, What Dates You Will Get. [Forrest Gump's Box 'O Chocolates comes to mind.] Simply: Vendors send you the next tire on the big rack, from the closest warehouse to you. There is no hidden agenda to sneak older rubber out first. Its the same agenda as with the Bakery or the Blood bank. You need fresh supplies coming in to meet demand, and the first supplies go out first.

Exceptions exist. Example...when I can snag a certain oversize PS2s I snag them. Usually 2 or 4 at a time. There have been times we have the ONLY tiny supply in USA. So when I hold the tires here, and I can see those dates. But buyers have no date option. Years ago, PartsRack sold out XGT-Z tires here (now banned at Viper Days) for $99 ea. Then we had MXX-3s at $125 and then $99. You can find in the archives we did disclose those older, surplus dates. They sold like hotcakes.

And Mutt, if you have 18" rears, there is a more steady production than 19" rears, so it does not surprise me to see 2010 dates on 18" rears. Regardless of who sold the mixed 08-10 dates, they are under a Michelin warrantee. And are perfectly safe and fine per experts and bureaucrats alike. IF WE sold em, I was certainly not being sneaky about it. And I am GLAD your PS2 tires are "100% better" than the oldies.

Roy: Thanks for confirming what I stated earlier: that not all European tires have DOT nomenclature or dates. A Euro-guy on here stated I was wrong, so thanks. Those tires would NOT be legal in USA. PS Roy, there is a large Michelin "DA" Blem dealer in Rotterdam!

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had new PS2s installed yesterday, and to my surprise the shop owner showed me the dates. The rears were late 2010, but the fronts were March 2011. How can that be? Yesterday was March 1st.

~Jay

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, the tires didn't come from you, I have bought other items from you and as always you have been fair and cordial with me which I appreciate these days. You don't see many businesses doing that anymore, they seem to have the mentality of "Oh well, take it or leave it!" this comment is not directed at any vendor here. Jeff

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had new PS2s installed yesterday, and to my surprise the shop owner showed me the dates. The rears were late 2010, but the fronts were March 2011. How can that be? Yesterday was March 1st.

~Jay

If it was 0311 that's the third week of the year (Jan 21st) Sounds like you got some fresh tires:2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>> There is no hidden agenda to sneak older rubber out first.<<<
:dunno:
Tire vendors should sell the oldest (hopefully not too old) tires first - otherwise the oldest tires get even older in the warehouse...:lmao:

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire vendors should sell the oldest (hopefully not too old) tires first - otherwise the oldest tires get even older in the warehouse...:lmao:

How come I am picturing a factory employee that just grabs the tires closest to him off the rack, because he does not care.

Roffey, I don't think you will have a problem with the 18 inch tires. It seems in 2008 Michelin was a bit overzealous with the amount of Gen 3 and 4 tires they were going to sell. Seems like every now again old stock comes in.

Garrett

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How come I am picturing a factory employee that just grabs the tires closest to him off the rack, because he does not care.

Probably because that's exactly how the process was described in a previous post. If I was setting up a warehouse for efficiency so that I could optimize my profits; and I had "perishable" stock, I would put the oldest stock in the most easily accessed location, rather than the other way round, or randomly.

This is similar to the way they stock the milk in the supermarket.

Now, that's not to say that you won't catch me, the consumer, trying to reach back for the milk carton farthest back in the line to get something that will be good for a longer period. :rolleyes:

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting thread.

We are not talking about tires for just any car. Its clear to me that the most common response to any new member/owners on the site is 'make sure you got good tires', 'replace what you have, cause they will kill you', 'your tires are TO OLD....replace ASAP'......

I am fully agreeing with the posts about full disclosure. Those dealers/vendors that wont do this are either hiding something or their system is set up in such a way (for efficency and costs) that they cant control it.

I for one would rather spend a little more on my tires to be able to get the service I deserve when buying hi-po equipment. So if a vendor is unable to give me the info I want due to their 'system not allowing it'(and I really dont care what their excuse is to why this is), then I go somewhere else where I can get what I want. I am certain that there is a tire dealer out there somewhere that will actually put their hands on your tires and tell you what they have and what you can expect. Customer service....I will pay for it because it matters to me.

The saying (I may not quote it perfectly) applies in most cases:

FAST - QUALITY - CHEAP...you can have any 2 but not all 3

I know I am going to my storage this weekend to check on the 'brand new PS2's' I bought before my car was delivered. Cant do anything about it at this time, but I care enough that I certainly want to know.

Matt

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>This is similar to the way they stock the milk in the supermarket.<<<

That's exactly what I was thinking reading the previous posts - just with Joghurt! :D

It does not make sense to sell tires by random, but every excuse will be used if handy :lmao:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sheesh.... something is not translating. Let me Re-Re-Repeat:

""""Simply: Vendors send you the next tire on the big rack, from the closest warehouse to you. There is no hidden agenda to sneak older rubber out first. Its the same agenda as with the Bakery or the Blood Bank. You need fresh supplies coming in to meet demand, and the first supplies go out first."""

First In First Out is the exact distribution method used.

Its not a ' handy excuse' as snidely stated, but a FACT. { Just like the Non-DOT Tires avail in Europe that he mistakenly poo-poohed. That is also a FACT, thanks Roy, and those tires do make their way thru FleaBay to USA. Psssst: wanna buy a Non-DOT tire? }

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very interesting thread.........I know I am going to my storage this weekend to check on the 'brand new PS2's' I bought before my car was delivered. Cant do anything about it at this time, but I care enough that I certainly want to know. Matt

Matt, Yes You Can!

Since this thread is about minor technical issues, this fits: If you have tires in storage, and want to minimize any atmospheric oxidation, put them in opaque black plastic 60+gal DRUM LINERS from a hardware store/Depot. Grab your auto-shop-Vac. Collapse the drum-liner neck around the vac, and **** THE AIR from the bags, creating a big Seal-A-Meal Vacuum pack of each tire. Knot the bag, and Voila! You have a vacuum-sealed tire, immune from most atmospheric decay. Keep em Cool, easy to do in Colo.....but SUN DECAY is worse at altitude, so a COLO penalty.

Extensive durometer studies of this process have NOT been conducted by any major tire and rubber trade associations. Not that anyone would believe them anyway. But over beer and burgers, experts will tell you it helps for long-term storage.

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no hidden agenda to sneak older rubber out first.
First In First Out is the exact distribution method used.

JonB, maybe it's me that does not understand?

My thinking is there "should" be an agenda to "always" sneak out the older rubber first, otherwise it's not first in first out? If you're trying to say you cannot guarantee what other distributors do, I can understand that.

As long as I know, "you" try to send out what's first in, out first, I'm good with that :) Have I said, I like my somewhat new Kumho's yet ..... I do :D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You tell me now, after I spend over a 1000 dollars for a set of front tires only ;) The garage I bought them from most probably buyes them there aslo I assume.

Roy, the company name is Cascobel Tire near Antwerp. I was wrong about Rotterdam. (my family is ex-Rotterdam)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB, maybe it's me that does not understand?

My thinking is there "should" be an agenda to "always" sneak out the older rubber first, otherwise it's not first in first out? If you're trying to say you cannot guarantee what other distributors do, I can understand that.

As long as I know, "you" try to send out what's first in, out first, I'm good with that :) Have I said, I like my somewhat new Kumho's yet ..... I do :D

EXACTLY, EXACTLY, EXACTLY, and Thanks.... First In, is First Out. [FIFO]

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

correct ... first in = first out

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, Yes You Can!

Since this thread is about minor technical issues, this fits: If you have tires in storage, and want to minimize any atmospheric oxidation, put them in opaque black plastic 60+gal DRUM LINERS from a hardware store/Depot. Grab your auto-shop-Vac. Collapse the drum-liner neck around the vac, and **** THE AIR from the bags, creating a big Seal-A-Meal Vacuum pack of each tire. Knot the bag, and Voila! You have a vacuum-sealed tire, immune from most atmospheric decay. Keep em Cool, easy to do in Colo.....but SUN DECAY is worse at altitude, so a COLO penalty.

Extensive durometer studies of this process have NOT been conducted by any major tire and rubber trade associations. Not that anyone would believe them anyway. But over beer and burgers, experts will tell you it helps for long-term storage.

Tires are mounted and on the car, so what you suggest wont work. Your info may be helpful for somebody else though.

I think this thread is going in two different directions. Half of the posts are talking about how the tires are holding up in storage and cant be considered 'old'.

The other half, and this is what I support, are simply asking that they are told upfront what they are buying. If they know they can make a descision based on the info they are given. Some people wont care and just get what is available. Others may choose to shop elsewhere with a vendor that can in fact tell them exactly what they are buying.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi