New Tires on my TWIN TURBO GTS......

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I mounted my new Mickey Thompson ET STREET RADIAL P345/35R18 on the rear of my 1000 h.p + TWIN TURBO GTS Viper and I am amazed at the traction they provide. The stock 18' Michlin tires would lite up in a NY minute just bearly going thru the gears....Giving it just a tad of gas and the car would go insane all over real quick getting out of control and was very touchy having zero traction basically.....You had to pay serious attention to driving and working the clutch and gas to not go beyond a certain limit to maintain being on the road under control.....ONLY those with this kinda h.p. can comprehend what I am trying to describe.My previous Viper was a HEFFNER TWIN TURBO 1000 h.p and was much easier to drive and control when getting into the boost... It wasn't tuned to launch under boost and had obvious Turbo Lag before getting to rocket like pulling power....This A.R.T TWIN TURBO is set up different and has the instant response immediately.......anyway, if I make any sense to anyone what I am trying to describe?????? I put these new rear M/T tires on and OMG, it hooks up, and gone, not out of control, all over the place, but up and straight and pulling power that will put a big smile on your face if you are into this kinda stuff. IT is AWESOME and I am loving the driving experience....I have had several sets of the M/T Drag Radial for the Street and liked them but these ET STREET RADIALs are very impressive....I have had with a previous ROE Viper that with those tires I got a 1.45 60'.....I am hoping and feel this new tire will equal that or a little better.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to let anyone who may be interested that they may want to try these tires if you Drag Race your Viper and that the P345/35R18 does fit , right on a Gen 2 Viper with no problem......barely, but fits, and does not rub anywhere....:D :omg: :omg: :drive: :2tu: :headbang: :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What wheels do you have them on. As a side note, they will read 58.2 mph at 60 mph. Here is a great link on tire size:

http://www.wheelcityusa.com/tires/chart.htm

Also factor in that a tire will lose 1/2" in diameter when it wears down to the wear warning mark. That means a 26" tire can safely be run down to 25.5"

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them mounted on a old set of gen 2 factory 5 spoke rims I had laying around.... yes, I use my Garmin set where I can see the mph and noticed about 5 mph difference in the car reading....My speedo is showing 5 less then I am going......These tires are very tall......27+ inches......is anyone else using this tire? :) :2tu: :drive:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Roy,
I may be running up to Montgomery Sunday to run down the 1/4. I have a set of the ET Streets and will see how well they hook. PM me if you want to go racing.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am more then ready to race but I won't be going to Montgomery any time soon.....Our Son just had Brain surgery 2 days ago and is in the Trauma center at Sacred Heart hospital right now and we have been by his side since he got in a bad wreck on 17 Feb....sooooo right now is not good for me.......Let the Viper world know how your car runs when you go......wanna know how the ET STREETs work........60', etc.....have fun.. :D :eater: :drive:

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. I have been telling people for years that the MT's hook like no other. Every one else is like Invos, PS2's, etc are just as good. I have invos on my blue Viper and MT's on my red. No comparison.

The one thing to watch out for. The MT's hook SO good that I started to destroy other parts. I think my MT's have a low 1.2 in them, I ran low 1.3's all day long but once I tried going for 1.2's I have gone through 2 transmissions, 1000HP axles, and 2 rear ends.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Bad Viper....thanks for the input.......I agree about these tires and now you have me worried about breaking trans........I will take the 1.3 60' and settle....I only race once in a while and just like knowing what my cars will do and prefer to ONLY race on a big race day like when the Pro Mods are there and a big crowd....If I am gonna vreak it ........do it at a big race and not just test and tune night........just me......My Viper is very comparible to your red TT and I really wish it had a automatic.....YOu have a pair of very nice TT Vipers in your garage......too much fun........:2tu: :2tu: :drive: :headbang:

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to know I was actually wondering if they would fit . . .& btw my dads vette makes 1006rwhp the only two drag radials that hook up at all are those and the hoosier's (which are basically slicks)

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy,
Enjoyed the cruise a few weeks back; and, I really like your latest Viper.
Alane and I wish your son a speedy recovery.
Best,
jim

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim & Alane.............sorry we couldn't get together more......always have a good time when we get together. Saw Scott today in his Fararri.......Our Son is still in critical condition and no one knows yet what the out come is gonna be.........but he is alive.....thank GOD........might have to have another brain operation, we sure hope not....take care in San Diego and have fun driving the Viper there.......Now there will be some RED MIST mixed in with the smog, ha.....:2tu: :drive: :)

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy,
Our prayers are with you.
After things settle, consider driving that silver rocket out here for a visit.
jim

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roy,
My thoughts and prayers are going out to your son, you and your wife and all involved with his care and recovery. May it be a full one!

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Jim.......the Silver Viper may head that way as we will be going to Vegas after our Son is recovered from all this and well.......We need a VACATION.....the stress has been really bad....:2tu: :drive: :drive:

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do they handle?

They handle so well and hold the road so good that I just got back from having them take my Michlin Pilots off my Forgeline rear rims and mount the M/Ts on my daily driver rear to drive with them on full time.......With the Michlins I get out of control real quick on dry roads, let alone wet and normally don't drive in rain anyway, so I have come to realize these M/Ts work BETTER by far on dry road and no wose off on wet sooooo now I have no loss of traction in most cases......I cannot tell the difference between these and the Michlins at highway speed on dryroad so I feel ALOT safer and in control now. These tires grab the road like they have been sprayed with VHT, ha.......of course they will wear quicker but that is OK with me.......:headbang: :drive:

wayne5w

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. With that tall soft sidewall I would have thought cornering would have been impacted. What do you have on for fronts?

Might need to try a set. I've been hearing good things about the Toyo R888 too. Apparently hooks up real hard too.

Regards,
---Wayne.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne....I have left my Michlin Sport Pilots on the front.....as far as cornering....I have not tried taking curves like I would with the Michelins.....I am a die hard Drag Racer so I just drive normal on the roads and don't try fast cornering .......That is OK for me but if you wanna do the tail of the Dragon at high speed I don't know about these tires for that or Salom type stuff......

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving daily with these tires, I have checked my gas mileage several times and my gas mileage around town has increased by 3 mpg.......I have gone hwyway speeds on the hwy with not a drop of handling problems at all and at highway posted speeds takes curves just fine....I used my Garmin to check my mpg because as an example when the Garmin shows I went 180 miles on a tank, the odometer may show I went 175 on that tank........At 70 mph, I am now tunring only 1200 rpm....These tires are GREAT for my all around use and yes, I will do the "Tail of the Dragon with them" plus drive there from Florida in the Viper...no trailer here.....:2tu: :drive: :D

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! Hopefully, some more of the "southern" owners will drive up with you. It's gonna be HUGE! We'll even have a Parade Permit this year for our cruise in to Gatlinburg. No more scrambling trying to keep 50 cars together....:D

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! Hopefully, some more of the "southern" owners will drive up with you. It's gonna be HUGE! We'll even have a Parade Permit this year for our cruise in to Gatlinburg. No more scrambling trying to keep 50 cars together....:D

Hey, that sounds good, and I figure if I did the Dragon in my 09 ACR with the Sport Cups on all fours , plus drove in that rain at 65-70 mph, these will do just fine, ha.....I am the last of the Viper owners here in this area......everyone else has sold or moved away......Jim is in San Diego....Scott bought a Ferrari, Paul has never participated, Mike always goes but he don't live near me........Renea and I are all there is.... :rolleyes: :dunno:

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy, if you have an AEM, the speedo parameters can be changed in the AEM so the speedo reads accurate.
I have MTs now, and don't like how they handle, although they hook good.
I'm going to try te Hoosiers A6 in 345-18. Last timeI had them, I remember the car hooked really good.
I hope your son recovers well.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy, if you have an AEM, the speedo parameters can be changed in the AEM so the speedo reads accurate.
I have MTs now, and don't like how they handle, although they hook good.
I'm going to try te Hoosiers A6 in 345-18. Last timeI had them, I remember the car hooked really good.
I hope your son recovers well.

Thanks for the note on my Son......He had a fourth operation on his brain this past Tuesday.....They put in a Shunt, to try to make the fluid building up in his brain to drain into his stomach...now we have to wait and see if it works.....He has been thru hell.....I do have the AEM......Thanks.....The AEM has many uses which sure make it worth the money........:2tu: :headbang: :drive::D