New to the Viper Community

AZLambo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased an '04 Silver Viper SRT 10. I have always liked the body style on the Gen. 3 cars. Anyway, this car is an entirely different animal than I'm used to. (More torque, less revs). I am getting use to it though! Anyway, the only thing that "bugs" me about the car is its tendency to "wander" on the street, especially at lower speeds. I just had the car aligned, and I'm told that "all Vipers do this". I am told that the tire width itself and the "run flat" tires are partially to blame.
I am told changing to regular PS2 tires will help. Is this true?
Any other ideas? I have tried more air pressure than the recommended 29 PSI, and this seemed to help a little.

Thanks in advance.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper world.

To answer your tire question, Yes, you will notice a big difference in ride and stability switching to the PS2's. It wont tend to wander like it does with runflats. There are tons of threads if you search, regarding tires, suspension, etc.
Enjoy your new ride.

Kc Gray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my first Viper last week too. Also a silver vert :drive:

And like you the only thing that bugs me is the wandering. I just found a dry wall screw in my rear this morning so I'll be switching the runflats for PS2 this week.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats AZLambo and KC Gray on your Viper purchases! Yep, with the runflats you will wander more...we don't need to replace ours, we can tolerate the wandering...once we need new tires, we'll go with the PS2's! Welcome~~~! ~juli

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! And the car does wonder, but with tires on the rear end...you are starting to notice more imperfections and drivelines in the road that you didn't have before. However, when you take a corner on a track at high speeds...they come in handy ;)

So, new to the community...and in Arizona...come on down to the Round Up in April...you will get a chance to talk to lots of folks and get all kinds of information on your car.

V

Venomiss

I just got my first Viper last week too. Also a silver vert :drive:

And like you the only thing that bugs me is the wandering. I just found a dry wall screw in my rear this morning so I'll be switching the runflats for PS2 this week.

Welcome! Just in case you missed this-come join us if you haven't already!
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/603453-new-viper-owner-time-join-vca.html

And an easy way to join online:
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/607932-membership-renewals-online.html

And the area for wheels and tires for you and AZLambo:
http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-wheel-brake-suspension/

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff.....glad to see you on board on the VCA forums! Yes, I took the Run flats off my car and went with the PS2's and "what a difference!!" Much improved traction also! Will be at 5 and Diner (75th Ave & Bell Rd) on tues. night with the cruise-in gang. Your more than welcome to join us! Hope to see you there.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I changed the runcraps out for NITTO INVO's and they have been great. (I have them in the OEM sizes........for now! ;):D)

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, I see you are a member now. Good deal. You will find much usefull information on this site. Congrats on a nice Viper, now post some pics of the beaut.

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The run-flats are crap for ride quality and cornering and it is definitely worth it to swap in the new rubber.......but your wandering comes purely from the large 275 front tire. Uneven road stretched across the large tire footprint makes it easier to pull. That won't change when you switch to the PS2's. It's something you get used to relatively quickly and then you stop noticing it. And if you are in the throttle it goes away cuz the front tires should be off the ground!!

Freiherr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You´ll have lots of fun with your SRT-10, that´s for sure.
And by the way, you have chosen the very best colour for that stunning beauty:D.
:bolt:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome-enjoy your new ride. I really like the Silver color.

Like others I got rid of the run flats - went with the Pirelli's then to the Hoosier 19" A6 on the rear. Big-Big difference especially with the A6.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's will make a huge difference in the amount of mechanical grip that is available ... especially when compared to the runflats the car comes with

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the man himself: LUKE!!!
(The only reason we still have the runflats on our '05 since 10/04, is that they are still good, they gripped REALLY well on a track this past June...and we're just waiting for them to wear down a bit, then yes, we certainly would get the PS2's!!!!)......juli

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2 do help the ride and feel as everyone has been saying. The pulling left and right you experience won't go away though with new tires. There is just too much rubber on the road with these tires and they realy stick when warm and want to follow all those sunken areas that the big rigs put on the highway. You will get used to it the more you drive the car. You will learn where the worst spots on the freeways around you are the more you dirve. Interestate 75 is terrible though cincinnati but the 275 loop around is great for some reason here near me. Anyway hope this helps and the by the way the color you chose add 25rwhp and gets a thumbs up from me:headbang: CONGRATULATIONS!