new viper hot wheels car

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has been simply genious about this. I mean one day a close up body part then one day a hood and then another day a toy?

If there hadnt been a string of leaks thus far then id agree with you but this toy just happens around the same time as the hood ect?

Showing a fuzzt lil toy is actually brilliant marketing. It keeps people wishing and wondering while at the same time not discourageing people from attending the reveal.

Realistically that toy is showing us maybe 35% of what the car will look like. The timings far too perfect

Agreed 100%

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has been simply genious about this. I mean one day a close up body part then one day a hood and then another day a toy?

If there hadnt been a string of leaks thus far then id agree with you but this toy just happens around the same time as the hood ect?

Showing a fuzzt lil toy is actually brilliant marketing. It keeps people wishing and wondering while at the same time not discourageing people from attending the reveal.

Realistically that toy is showing us maybe 35% of what the car will look like. The timings far too perfect

Completly disagree.... i mean if this was part of the plan the image would still be on the drivesrt page. Now each time someone post a picture/rendering of some sort of the 2013 they pull the plug and erase the post. That whole situation have been poorly handle and i've lost interest in it. I even cancelled my trip to NY wich I was looking forward to it. Now I'll see the pics like everybody else on the 5th when i woke up. Its a thing that someone at HotWheels screwed up but that gave SRT marketing guys and oportunity they didn't take, they screw up and I'm sure I'nm not the only one who lost interest. Anyway we won't see any on the street until the end of the year and its not even a roadster....so I'll continue enjoying mine:headbang:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is even near what the new Viper will look like, then the anticipation for me is over and I can stop feverishly reading these new Viper posts and new spy shot posts. To me that is one big miss. I don't like it at all. I was hoping that Ferarri would have had a positive influence, but it certainly does not look like it. Next disappointment to be had for me will be the performance. If it does not trump the new Ford GT500 it might as well stay a concept for life. The only redemption for me would be crazy HP and performance numbers. I'm a big viper fan and am happy that I pulled the trigger on my Gen III and glad that I didn't keep adding to my piggy bank in anticipation of the Gen V. I doubt I'll eat my words.
I heard the mules in the first spy photos in the desert had a touch over 670 hp.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completly disagree.... i mean if this was part of the plan the image would still be on the drivesrt page. Now each time someone post a picture/rendering of some sort of the 2013 they pull the plug and erase the post. That whole situation have been poorly handle and i've lost interest in it. I even cancelled my trip to NY wich I was looking forward to it. Now I'll see the pics like everybody else on the 5th when i woke up. Its a thing that someone at HotWheels screwed up but that gave SRT marketing guys and oportunity they didn't take, they screw up and I'm sure I'nm not the only one who lost interest. Anyway we won't see any on the street until the end of the year and its not even a roadster....so I'll continue enjoying mine:headbang:

That is too bad you let a photo of a pixelated toy and a clay mold ruin a trip that you were looking forward too.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not the image of the toy, its the way they handle the situation, they've lost my interest for the launch of the car, that's it. They should have us this leak at their advantage and dealing with the situation instead of hiding. In the past this happen to Ferrrari and what they did, they show studio pic of the car ahead the launch. Yesterday's Ferrari leak doesn,t change much as the release date was the 29Th so that doesn't change much..... As for the 2013, I'll make my opinion when I'll see it but its too soon because no way i'll buy a coupe. Here summer is short and for me, a car like this shoud be convertible...IMO.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me understand this. Folks are upset because they did not like the "tease" technique and then others are upset because of leaks of information? Is it just me, or does it seem like there is no way to make everyone happy? Reminds me of the classic Gen2 vs Gen 3/4 debates that are just as silly.

I don't understand how any of the news and leaks could not make a person more excited for the launch. I really do think is is brilliant (rather accidental or on purpose), because it causes me to look for new information each day just hoping something will be there.

I did see the car in SLC and clearly the hotwheels image is the closest thing yet to what I saw if you combine with the hood image reported as well. All that said, we really have no idea of what changes truly happened since which generates the excitement and interest from me to see the official launch. So, I say just enjoy the next month of anticipation.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me understand this. Folks are upset because they did not like the "tease" technique and then others are upset because of leaks of information? Is it just me, or does it seem like there is no way to make everyone happy? Reminds me of the classic Gen2 vs Gen 3/4 debates that are just as silly.

I don't understand how any of the news and leaks could not make a person more excited for the launch. I really do think is is brilliant (rather accidental or on purpose), because it causes me to look for new information each day just hoping something will be there.

I did see the car in SLC and clearly the hotwheels image is the closest thing yet to what I saw if you combine with the hood image reported as well. All that said, we really have no idea of what changes truly happened since which generates the excitement and interest from me to see the official launch. So, I say just enjoy the next month of anticipation.

I agree with this. Bad press and good press is still news and keeps the spark alive.

Bruce

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah and anybody who's seriously considering purchasing a $100k car isn't going to base their opinions on a 2-dollar 1/64 scale model made in taiwan or china

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea of a tease marketing campaign is to carefully manipulate the expectations of the targeted potential buyer(s) and to get the potential buyer(s) so "horny" for the car that by the time the car is shown they are ready to waive their money at a dealer for the opportunity to become an owner. This is a delicate process with the risk of burning out the interest of the potential buyer(s) if the process gets out of control and too much data is leaked in an uncontrolled manner. That is what those who are complaining are experiencing and they no longer want to pay the cost of going to NY to the SRT/VCA VIP room. At this point, I think SRT can rekindle interest in the event among those who have been so affected if they release some tease tech data ( like the weight of the car); announce that they will start the car up at the event; and, allow those who attend to sit in the car and then place orders for the car at the event with delivery at a dealer of their choice.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we complain that SRT hasn't shared anything, then complain some more when unexpected details get leaked? sounds like a Catch-22. You can't make everybody happy.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one believe it was an accidental leak and it is the 2013. I agree with many that have already said about Hot Wheels car design having imperfections because of scale, platform, and materials. I am also loving what I am seeing. I assume the hood scoops will be deeper and fenders will bulge out just right. I am also hoping Ferrari allows the hp to be competitive with that awesome V12 they are coming out with. It is interesting that the Ferrari will be priced 2-3 times as much as the Viper but the performance will probably be close and they are both made by Fiat. I wonder if the RT/10 Viper roadster in the Gen V form will be as close to the Gen I and II also. Imagine an 8.7 Litre 700+ hp NA with a radically updated RT/10 body. OMG:omg::burnout:

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are in a new world, in which, nearly everything is outsourced, this will never allow a consumer marketed product to be kept secret. I'm bummed because it's coming from hot wheels.... I expected and hoped for a decent leak from a legit car rag...

I'm human and want to see it before it's released. I'll decide if I'll own one, once I see it in person. Sadly, I believe this is a close and fairly accurate representation to what is coming. I'm kinda bummed, because I was hoping it would be an exaggerated, over the top, cartoon like car, the original was. (remember the "K-car"? that was the main Chrysler vehicle, when the Viper showed up). I wanted over the top, like many here... If these images are true... We have an "OK" upgrade, which I'm sure will perform like stink. I hope I'm wrong!

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all sorta knew that the Gen5 was going to be a modern GTS so I'm surprised at some of the downtrodden comments. The original GTS stands on it's own as true American classic in the same way that the original GT40, AC Cobras and mid year vettes do so why wouldn't Chrysler dance with who brought them to the dance.

Last edited:

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The idea of a tease marketing campaign is to carefully manipulate the expectations of the targeted potential buyer(s) and to get the potential buyer(s) so "horny" for the car that by the time the car is shown they are ready to waive their money at a dealer for the opportunity to become an owner. This is a delicate process with the risk of burning out the interest of the potential buyer(s) ...

Myself and all of my car enthusiast friends are completely burned out by this crap. Dodge is taking WAY too long to show us the car.

If it's not ready, hey it's not ready. Let us know that you did not meet your expected delivery time. However, the constant TEASING and extremely long wait time for the release is very very poor.

We're busy individuals, most of us with demanding careers. Our time is limited. Dodge disrespects us with this exaggerated delay.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Myself and all of my car enthusiast friends are completely burned out by this crap. Dodge is taking WAY too long to show us the car.

If it's not ready, hey it's not ready. Let us know that you did not meet your expected delivery time. However, the constant TEASING and extremely long wait time for the release is very very poor.

We're busy individuals, most of us with demanding careers. Our time is limited. Dodge disrespects us with this exaggerated delay.

Really? what do you consider a reasonable wait time for a 2013 model year that isn't even in production yet.....what "expected delivery time" are you referring to.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Originally Posted by BigDawg: The general public loved the Gen I/II Vipers. They hated the gen III/IV vipers."

Don't know where this comes from........

Tomatoe, tamahtoe - everyone has an opinion but I think the 'general public' has shown my car a fair amount of attention. Corvette/Mustang/Camaro forums have the same back-and-forth pettiness - kinda funny! I wonder if Lambo or Ferrari does this?

I do think the fact there are 6+ pages and well over 160 comments on a toy car thread says a lot about the excitement and demand though.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acura is already showing their new NSX three years before they ever plan to sell the first one... So which situation is worse... theirs or ours:dunno:

I think it's great that people are impatient and anxious to see the car. I'd love to see a base model at the Z06 price point and another 100 ponies in an ACR at the ZR1 price point both V10s of course. Reviving the classic flowing curves of the original cars as this toy seems to indicate would just be icing on the cake.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. 6 pages of this. Do we live in an instant gratification society? Oh yeah.

Heard about it this a.m., want all the details by noon, better be in my driveway by the time I get home tonight. If not? Moving on to the next video game.

Isn't life supposed to be about the ride? We'll all get to the end soon enough. Just saying.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't life supposed to be about the ride? We'll all get to the end soon enough. Just saying.

:2tu: Exactly. The SRT guys can't win with us beating on them. And it's a Hot wheel toy car, LOTS of detail will be left out. Let's guy th eguys/gals at SRT the time necessary and wait for the unveil. I wish I could be there, but will be looking forward to the pics coming from the guys that will be there for the unveil. :2tu:

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT folks have a real dilemma on their hands as far as I am concerned. I have looked at countless thousands Gen2 Viper images, and much has been done with the intent of Improving upon their looks. All in all, wheels, lowering, and in rare occasions, paint is about all you can do to these cars. They are a design that is so incredably iconic. They are what they are, and the design just works. Every time I see one, I get the "holy crap! VIPER!" response even though there is one sitting in the garage. The Gen 3/4 cars were an attempt at tweaking the design. They are beastly cars in their own right, just not quite as flowing as the Gen 1&2 Vipers. Some were pleased, others weren't. That being said, what is SRT to do?

Starting from my biased position, of course, the Gen2 GTS is simply perfect, and I just don't get tired of looking at it. It doesn't need fixing, just some minor updating; even though it is a 90's version of a 60's car. It's gonna be hard to wow us at this point with so many amazingly stunning cars out there. I look at the Gen 5 as another fine car from an amazing line, and potentially, the best all around Viper to date. We will soon see. But again, I was smitten by all of the previous generations, so I will keep an open mind, even though that distorted Hot Wheel kinda underwhelms. I used to collect those things, and they have almost always been a disappointment, since it appears that they all have to fit in the same package regardless of size. Despite all the "leaks" I still know very little about what will finally be unveiled. When I see it, I will either sign up or spew--but only then. They have done good by us so far--and supposedly, they incorporated our feedback. We may even get an optional cupholder. Give the Dodge Boys----oh, eh hmmmm, SRT boys and girls a chance.:)

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that the real car had been revealed I've searched like crazy bit can't find this hotwheels car to buy. I saw Ralph had one durning the reveal but how do I get one. Hotwheels doesn't even have them on there website.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that the real car had been revealed I've searched like crazy bit can't find this hotwheels car to buy. I saw Ralph had one durning the reveal but how do I get one. Hotwheels doesn't even have them on there website.

Not released yet - the photo was from the upcoming issues calendar.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think the reveal was handled perfectly-

-Info didn't come out too soon, to where I fell alseep in advance of the reveal. My attention span is short!
-The teaser images weren't too revealing, just enough to spark and increase my interest. Like watching a woman undress, it's more fun in stages! SRT are such teases!
-The image of the air intake aft of the doors had an ambiguous quality, to where I kept turning it over and upside down. Kept me quiet for a while!
-The Hot Wheels car wasn't too accurate, leaving room for possible differences with the reveal car, but it was close enough to make me think that I'd probably like the real one.
-No one got a photo out early, no slip ups, no scoops on Jalopnik, etc.
-Even the Forza stuff let you feel a little info was gained, but then again no, because it was only renderings. So it kept me guessing, right up to the last minute.
-Streaming internet video of the reveal, and a great website of Gen5 info topped the whole thing off with class!

I like how Ralph was saying, "If we could go racing, this is what the car might look like, at least many can drive it in this game, etc" (Loosely paraphrased), then the video cuts from the Forza game to the actual ALMS car, roaring down the same walkway where the Gen5 had just come through! That Ralph is so sneaky! Then Kumo Witmer gets out, I was like DA-yumm! They are serious! All at once, i felt like we were back in Camelot, back when Oreca was kickin asp, and the Viper nation had the most outrageous, controversial, instantly recognizable sports cars anywhere! We're BACK, BABY! I feel like a Viper fan again!

I think that was the best lead-up and reveal I've ever seen, in my 51 years. Great show, boys! Bravo!

Thanks to Sergio and crew also, for empowering SRT to continue the Viper legacy with the Gen5.