New Viper Next Spring?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No surprise. Ralph mentioned that the new car would be out in the first quarter of 2012 last year. Cant wait!!!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'll withhold my opinion until I have all the details, but if its anything like the new Jeep SRT-8, it will be bloated, slower, less ******** and overpriced.

Way to go SRT on that flop-in-the-making. Almost 20 grand more for a slower, heavier and less menacing SRT product with virtually none of what was expected?

Does this mean we are waiting on a 625 horsepower 3750lb $150,000 Viper?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll withhold my opinion until I have all the details, but if its anything like the new Jeep SRT-8, it will be bloated, slower, less ******** and overpriced.

Way to go SRT on that flop-in-the-making. Almost 20 grand more for a slower, heavier and less menacing SRT product with virtually none of what was expected?

I'm driving a modded 06 Jeep SRT8 and was anxiously waiting to get the specs on the 2012 model, big deception for me....so I ordered a 12 CTS-V wagon, but the 06 Jeep SRT8 will stay in the stable.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does this mean we are waiting on a 625 horsepower 3750lb $150,000 Viper?
From what I've seen the current Jeep SRT8 has been putting down the same performance numbers in the straight line and I've not heard any negative reviews about its handeling either.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen the current Jeep SRT8 has been putting down the same performance numbers in the straight line and I've not heard any negative reviews about its handeling either.

If you buy a 2012 SRT8 Jeep for the first time, it's all very fine. But if you already had the previous 06 to 2010 model, then you find they've added 45 hp, along with an extra 400 lbs and added 15 to 20 K to the price....for the same performance numbers, that turns my wish switch to off .

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you buy a 2012 SRT8 Jeep for the first time, it's all very fine. But if you already had the previous 06 to 2010 model, then you find they've added 45 hp, along with an extra 400 lbs and added 15 to 20 K to the price....for the same performance numbers, that turns my wish switch to off .

Not to mention, I think most people would agree that it is a less aggressive and closer-looking-to-the-rest model than the previous generation. There was no mistaking an 06-10 GC SRT8. Unless you see a 12 from the front... you would miss what it is.

There is no denying that the new interior is excellent, but they really screwed up the rest.

No 500+ horsepower?
No similar weight?
No 8 Speed?
No adjustable ride height suspension? [Which all the non SRT's have!]
No Similar price point?

I don't get it... do they not realize that this 68K sticker price on a jeep puts them SQUARE in the sights of a 1-year old BMW X5M or X6M, and actually is close enough to put them in a comparable NEW price bracket? You know, same weight, bigger luxury name, better handling, better suspension, better interior, 555 horsepower, more colors? Its one thing SRT to move up market- but you better damn well be able to compete UP market at your new prices!!!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I am sure it did- they gave it just enough power to offset the new weight. However, that 400 pounds will catch up with it. You now have to start, stop, and steer a full load of passengers more than the original SRT8. At almost $20K more, that is absolutely unacceptable. Sorry, a nicer interior is NOT worth 20K- because that's really all you are "gaining"!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patiently awaiting 12' SRT8 Jeep to view in person as my 07' Jeep SRT8 I owned from new for 18 months and almost 20k miles was and still is the biggest POS vehicle I have ever owned out of any vehicle I have ever owned in my entire lifetime. Other that the horrible rims and slight less agressive looks on the new GEN, I welcome all the changes they made and I am sure a lot of others will except die hard GEN I SRT8 owners. Other than what I just mentioned, the only reason I have not jumped on it and traded in my Cayenne Turbo S I replaced the SRT8 Jeep with, is the lack of an 8-speed tranny and Multi-air for some decent mileage. I will wait for the next couple of years for Jeep to refine further before I consider even trying to go back to Jeep. The GEN I SRT8 ep experience was just that bad and I had owned many Jeeps prior.

I tell you, a proper 5 spoke rim on that new Jeep and it would wake up the styling a ton. Also offer that blower option like on other SRT cars (coming soon) and it will have plenty of power to overcome questioners.

But to each their own!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand the new SRT Jeep is a completely different vehicle from the previous generation.

SRT has to work from the production standard version, and do what they can to make it a higher performance version.

They started with a heavier stock vehicle, so theirs will also be heavier. All the SRT's get the same Hemi engine, and so they are restricted to how much HP they can provide.

What they did is make the heavier Jeep handle better, give it a much much smoother and quieter ride. Added larger and higher quality brakes and high performance tires and suspension.

They added cabin adjustable suspension.

Final result is a Jeep that handles and rides better than the previous version while giving a pleasurable smooth ride in a much higher quality and quieter surrounding.

Different marketplace than the previous SRT that rode rough, was noisey, got poor mileage and had a very limited market.

Hope the original purchasers of the first SRT realize what a fantastic Jeep they got, with great performance and a good value.

New Jeep is a different Beast.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just drove all the 2012 models today with the srt team, they all are bad ass!!! except of course the snake

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 2012 Hemi Overland and it is my 3rd Jeep GC. It is by FAR the nicest, quietest, best riding and most comfortable Jeep we have ever had. I had an 04' Limited and 08' SRT8. I got all the goods except adaptable cruise control. I will tell you
that the fit and finish is just a tad lacking for a 46k vehicle. The quality of the interior materials is ALOT better than before. I had a minor (very minor) door seam that was not quite aligned exactly and a small interior piece that was a little off. Other than that, it rides like a dream. Indep. rear suspension makes a huge difference. The air suspension is cool too, PLENTY of clearance if I wanted to go off road, and it drops down nice and low on the HW for better gas mileage. Comfort access,
remote start, power liftgate, My wife LOVES it!

Oh, and the rear seats are MUCH bigger than before, lots of leg room AND they can recline.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
From what I understand the new SRT Jeep is a completely different vehicle from the previous generation.

SRT has to work from the production standard version, and do what they can to make it a higher performance version.

They started with a heavier stock vehicle, so theirs will also be heavier. All the SRT's get the same Hemi engine, and so they are restricted to how much HP they can provide.

What they did is make the heavier Jeep handle better, give it a much much smoother and quieter ride. Added larger and higher quality brakes and high performance tires and suspension.

They added cabin adjustable suspension.

Final result is a Jeep that handles and rides better than the previous version while giving a pleasurable smooth ride in a much higher quality and quieter surrounding.

Different marketplace than the previous SRT that rode rough, was noisey, got poor mileage and had a very limited market.

Hope the original purchasers of the first SRT realize what a fantastic Jeep they got, with great performance and a good value.

New Jeep is a different Beast.

I don't know about you, but what you just listed is NOT worth the $20,000-$25,000 increase in price. $60,000 for a slower, heavier model. Uh...no.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ralph was at the State Fair of Texas during media day...talking Viper as early as Spring time!

My bet is that in the AUTO-SHOW context of the remarks, he was inplying that the next {VIPER} would be coming to the car-show-circuit next Spring. NOT in dealers or owner garages by Spring....

The actual quote from the link: At a press conference during media day for the State Fair of Texas Auto Show, SRT Brand President and CEO Ralph Gilles hinted that the next Dodge Viper will arrive as early as next Spring.
While speaking about the four great SRT products his team brought to the State Fair this year (300, Challenger, Charger, and Grand Cherokee), Gilles stated that with the lessons they have learned over the years in producing factory performance vehicles will be applied to the “new granddaddy of them all that will be coming soon, uh next Spring.”
While never specifically mentioning Viper by name he led the crowd of automotive journalists to believe that SRT will have the new Viper rolling out the door before Summer, 2012.