Newbie: a not so typical "mustang" owner...

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newbie: a not so typical \"mustang\" owner...

Hey guys, just joined up. I'm 31 from Nashville, TN. I've browsed through the forums a little and observed a bit of labeling of us "mustang" owners lol. I was brought up in a very Ford biased family, so my record of owning non-Ford products is extremely limited. At the present time, I have two Cobra R mustangs, a 93 and 95 model - each with around 2,000 original miles. I'm currently looking to acquire a 2000 model in the near future to finish off the "R" set. Even though the Cobra R's are extremely rare and highly collectible, to the average commuter-car type person, they're still just a "mustang".

So, I want something that stands out far from the crowd and isn't mistaken for anything other than what it is. I've always admired the Viper for being "what it is" - an icon of pure American performance. In my opinion, there are only a few American automobiles that can boast that claim. Considering a Viper falls into that category and is very affordable compared to the company it's surrounded by, I feel it’s the obvious solution for me. I recently purchased the "Viper Buyer’s Guide" which has been very informative. Hopefully, in the near future, I’ll be able to utilize that information in picking out the perfect Viper for me. I look forward to spending time on the site browsing and getting more familiar with these awesome machines - as well as trying to overlook the "mustang" remarks ;) . Thanks in advance for the welcome. :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Newbie: a not so typical

<< 1993 Cobra R #66 of 107, 1995 Cobra R #158 of 250, I'm 31 >>

You are right - you are not your average Mustang guy. Very nice. :2tu:

You will find alot of great information and people here. Let us know if you need anything, and welcome.

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Newbie: a not so typical \"mustang\" owner...

Thanks for the welcome. :2tu:

The 93 aired on Horsepower TV a few months ago. A good friend of mine works for RTM Productions and helped set that up for me. Here's a little graffiti for the thread lol.

You must be registered for see images

Now as far as what I'm looking to purchase, I'm leaning towards the RT/10, up to a 99 model, in red, and probably around 20k miles for the maximum price I've budgeted. I think prices are very close to bottoming out on the Gen I. The Gen II may have a little more depreciation coming, but with the added options available, I can justify that. Regardless, either generation I choose, it is going to stay with me for a very long time. Contrary to what some people may say, I'm treating the Viper as an "investment"...an investment in my quality of life. :cool:

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The light switch in my Viper is a Ford part, at least you wouldn't be leaving the Ford family entirely...

I love my Viper, but I won't be driving her this weekend. My light switch melted internally and I gotta have it replaced under warranty. Apparently it was a common problem with Gen I light switches, it happens often. Wonder why?

;)

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The light switch in my Viper is a Ford part, at least you wouldn't be leaving the Ford family entirely...

I love my Viper, but I won't be driving her this weekend. My light switch melted internally and I gotta have it replaced under warranty. Apparently it was a common problem with Gen I light switches, it happens often. Wonder why?

;)

lol well, least it worked for a while...imagine if it had been a GM part! :ooo:

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, the color is awesome... Looks like a Porter Cable got a hold of it before they put it on TV :)

By the way, how did you get in contact with the show? My bud has an old 55 bel air that's a real street rod, he's got lots of projects for it on the way. Maybe they'd be interested.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

;)

Must be because Ford bought a few British companies, and the "Heritage" rubbed off :)

I had the same problem on mine.... but out of warranty :) The bad part? when the switch overheated, it did the same to the plug which connects to it. I found it out when I was driving home one night, and the headlights went out. Memories of my Austin Healey flowed through my mind.

It must happpen a lot as there is actually a service kit for it, the funny part, it is for a Ram truck. The kit includes the switch and a pigtail with the connector on it. Doug Levin sells the kits, very resonable, much cheaper than the switch alone.

I did not want to cut the harness and splice/solder the pigtail in, so I took the terminals out of the new connector, a used a dremmel tool to grind the melted connector apart one terminal at a time. Each time I got a terminal free, I'd slide it into the new connector. It took about two hours (upside down under the dash), but you'd never know anything ever melted.

MatchboxMadeMyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool!Welcome to the forums! the folks here are really nice people and very informative when you have nearly any car related questions. Cheers ! :2tu:

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi, and welcome from another noob. Great looking Mustang you have there. I saw the most killer Mustang yeterday on History Channel. Goldberg (the wrestler) has a show about autos, and last night he showed his "Lawman" Mustang, like 1300 hp, and the only one in existence. Lots of history with the Mustangs. I like them, but I like my Viper more:)

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, the color is awesome... Looks like a Porter Cable got a hold of it before they put it on TV :)

By the way, how did you get in contact with the show? My bud has an old 55 bel air that's a real street rod, he's got lots of projects for it on the way. Maybe they'd be interested.

Last year, while displaying the 93 R at the Music City Mustang Club car show, I was introduced to Mike Galley (HPTV host) through a friend of mine that works for RTM Productions. HPTV will find many of their cars at local shows & cruises around here, Nashville has several every weekend. You can also contact the Horsepower TV set by emailing to this address - [email protected]

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

welcome

I also grew up on stangs I had a 1992 jba dominator widebody supercharged car. 1 of 10

I just bought a 03 cobra and am building as we speak to be about 700 rwhp.

This was i can chill with either my stang of viper buddies.

vd..

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got a 3,994 original mile Mystic Cobra if your interested. It's 100% stock including the original oil filter. I'd prefer to sell it to someone that will give it a good home.

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got a 3,994 original mile Mystic Cobra if your interested. It's 100% stock including the original oil filter. I'd prefer to sell it to someone that will give it a good home.
VERY nice! Not many Mystic's around these days, not to mention finding one with such low mileage. If I were in the market for a non-R, I would either get the '96 Mystic Cobra or one of the 499 '95 Cobra hardtop convertibles.

Well, tonight I was the high bidder of a red '94 RT/10 with 21,700 miles @ $32,100 but the reserve wasn't met. I may make an offer on the car, so we'll see. Here's the listing;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4557167166

Couple of questions; what would be a good/fair price on the car and when a front license plate bracket is removed, are there visible holes and/or marks on the paint?

I like the looks of the half-lexan windows...any opinions from anyone that has used them?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I paid a little more than that and got a 96 GTS. Good deals are out there, you just have to be patient. Don't settle for something just because it's cheaper than what you REALLY want.

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score

We are all horsepower/car nuts. No matter what fast cars you are into...in time...everyone has to love a Viper...either for looks alone,performance or both.

Yes..fellow Stang nut here too

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had an '86 GT, '95 GT convertable, and 2 '96 Cobras (still have the Mystic), and they're great cars. The mods are fairly cheap and they can make some crazy power. I don't have any problem with a guy that loves American muscle, no matter what badge it wears.

URBITTN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow! those are two very special cobra's. I to am a mustang Cobra owner and hope to have a Viper GTS some day.
You must be registered for see images

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck in your search.... I was a Mustang guy at one time... then I got hit in the head with a V10, and haven't seen straight since ;) had a 1995 SaleenS351... very fun car... but NOTHING compares to driving a Viper... p.s The Cobra R's are bad ***!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats.... welcome to the fun, be sure to join the VCA, all you need to do is call 800/998-1110 on Monday!

Looks like a great buy, specially with the top and side windows... not sure what band they are, but they look nice. Watch the head gaskets and you'll be fine. Really nice to have newer tires too.

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats.... welcome to the fun, be sure to join the VCA, all you need to do is call 800/998-1110 on Monday!

Looks like a great buy, specially with the top and side windows... not sure what band they are, but they look nice. Watch the head gaskets and you'll be fine. Really nice to have newer tires too.

Yeah, he said tires are practically brand new. I'm hoping the gaskets have been changed, but I won't know until I get to look the car over. Either way I'm very excited!