Newbie question on car insurance

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on you: your age, driving record, other cars insured. It seems a rough figure is about $100 a month. I've seen higher and I've seen lower, but you'll just have to call around and get some qoutes. I found that Nationwide had the best rates for me.

Matt

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
State Farm has treated me very well over the years and I would not consider leaving them even if I found someone lower....and I have not found anyone lower in this area. With full coverage I pay around $500 every 6 months for a '00 gts. Matt is correct in that it depends on alot of factors. Just call some companies and ask them for a new vehicle quote. You will have to give them information such as the car make/model/year, abs brakes or not, airbags or not (if you have the vin # it would speed this up greatly), what kind of deductibles you want for collision and comprehensive, etc...

Good Luck!

Reaction score
I had checked with State Farm about a month back and there's was $952 a year with a ok record. Stay away from little places too. Stick with the well known names. Just my 2 cents

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shop around! I was quoted rates varying from $1500 thru $3600 per year from various companies. My current policy with State Farm costs me $299 for 6 months. (2001 Viper is 2nd car, not primary vehicle).

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay only 400/year for my 94 RT/10 As a part-time car, limited miles (4,000) per year. Not too bad I thought, max. deductibles also I should add. I guess they know you have 2 other vechiles, you can't drive 'em all, all the time.

Greg

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
After reading all of above quotes, decided to look up our (2 adults) rates as policy JUST came. We were with Chubb until agent suggested a change 2-3 yrs. ago. So far, we are very pleased with Fireman's fund. Rates are:
auto premium (declared values per
insurance company)

'95 RT/10 $550.00 per year $46,475.00
'96 RT/10 $583.00 per year $50,000.00
'97 GTS $651.00 per year $57,500.00
'99 ACR $992.00 per year $88,010.00

These Vipers are fully insured year 'round as drivers.
I agree with above posts...SHOP around, and READ the FINE print as some companies have exclusions on "timed events" and others have added "closed course" exclusions. I think they are catching on to frequency of incidents, AND $$$$$$$$$$ to fix our Snakes.

Good luck, and Happy Vipering !

Reaction score
Its incredible what I am learing from you guys. I have 10 cars including company vehicles, and I pay way to much with State Frm. I am 35 and a perfect record, I pay 2,000 per year fully loaded with 1000 deductible. I guess the region of New York does count..I live smack in ny, Queens. Nice area, but i guess the theft raet is high in my region. To tell you the truth, It was the best price out of all of them. Liberty was asking 4,200, gEICO WAS ASKING 5,000..tHEY ARE DRUGS??? anyway, Im mad now, seeing how cheap it is out of state//I gotta move!!!!!!!!

jcochran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was insured by GEICO up until a few days ago.

I contacted Nationwide (just to see what rates they'd offer me) and was astounded. My current full coverage with GEICO costs ~$202 a month. Nationwide quoted me $111. Needless to say, I switched immediately.
You must be registered for see images

Thank goodness I read this thread...saving 90 bucks a month adds up over the course of a year. Now I just hope that Nationwide is as painless (in terms of payments and contacting agents when necessary) as GEICO was.

James

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was paying @$4100 for NYC back in 96-98 for my 96 GTS. I had an opportunity to store the car in Queens and my insurance lady said it was actually more expenive and possibly the most expensive place on theplanet to insure a Viper. I moved to Westchester a few years ago and I pay @$1200/year with Fireman's.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was paying @$4100 for NYC back in 96-98 for my 96 GTS. I had an opportunity to store the car in Queens and my insurance lady said it was actually more expenive and possibly the most expensive place on theplanet to insure a Viper. I moved to Westchester a few years ago and I pay @$1200/year with Fireman's.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ray.

Haggerty insures only if you have a private parking space.
Most other collector car insurers insure only if the Viper is a 2nd vehicle. Motorcycles don't count as 2nd vehicles.

Geico and Nationwide don't quote (or insure?) in NJ.

Prudential had some of the best numbers I came across.

-Avi