newbie questions about hard tops on the RT/10

Vampyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested to hear from RT/10 owners who have the optional hard top.

Does the canvas top leak?

Does the hard top leak?

how much quiter is the ride with the hard top on.

Do you use the hard top more then the canvas top?

thanks!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Yes, a lot.
2. Yes, not as much.
3. A little bit.
4. Yes.

Bonus answer. Always take the rear glass out when the top is off. Much more enjoyable ride.

Vamp, you are waaaaaay over your newbie question quota. Posting privlages are suspended until you buy a Viper.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Yes, a lot.
2. Yes, not as much.
3. A little bit.
4. Yes.

Bonus answer. Always take the rear glass out when the top is off. Much more enjoyable ride.

Vamp, you are waaaaaay over your newbie question quota. Posting privlages are suspended until you buy a Viper.

Ditto on what Bill and Chuck said. In Louisiana in the summer time a hardtop is a must, keeps the cool air inside from the AC. :laugh:

Top_Fuel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another newbie here with a follow-up question...

You guys are saying that there's not much sound reduction even with a hard top. How about using a hard top with aftermarket (Vipermania) side windows? Does that provide any significant noise reduction compared to a canvas top and OEM side curtains?

Every time I see an RT for sale, I immediately factor in the additional cost of purchasing a hardtop and new side windows. I assume a canvas top/side curtains are worthless (as far as maintaining interior noise levels is concerned). Is that a bad assumption? :confused:

By the time you factor in $3K+ for a new hard top/side windows (and another $2K for head gaskets), that makes a lot of RT10s not seem like such a good deal. :(

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1: Only when your moving
2: A little
3: Don't know the music is to loud
4: ******* RULES!

You must now wait two & half days before posting again! :eek:

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if my canvas top leaks. It has only been on the car once. The day I bought the car to learn how.

My hard top seals perfect. I drove from Chicago to Atlanta once and it rained the whole trip. Not one drop!

The top seems much quiter on to me. No wind and exhaust noise.

I definitely do use my hard top. Chance of rain, too hot, too cold. It's very nice to have!

ViperRichRT10
2001 YELLOW RT10...Yellow is the fastest color by the way!

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another newbie here with a follow-up question...

You guys are saying that there's not much sound reduction even with a hard top. How about using a hard top with aftermarket (Vipermania) side windows? Does that provide any significant noise reduction compared to a canvas top and OEM side curtains?

Every time I see an RT for sale, I immediately factor in the additional cost of purchasing a hardtop and new side windows. I assume a canvas top/side curtains are worthless (as far as maintaining interior noise levels is concerned). Is that a bad assumption? :confused:

By the time you factor in $3K+ for a new hard top/side windows (and another $2K for head gaskets), that makes a lot of RT10s not seem like such a good deal. :(

Greg, I gather you have driven or rode in a Viper. When DC designed the Viper it was basically a race car for the street. The Gen1 cars didn't have an option until 94 and that was AC, roll up Windows didn't come in existance until 96 I think. To me part of the experience of driving a Viper is hearing the sounds of a V-10, the ability of the car to take a curve at speed with ease, stop on a dime and give you nine cents change. The Gen 1 & 2 are noisy with hardtops, Vmania windows or whatever. Most of us put Hi flow cats,or no cats, Borla or Corscia exhausts, headers which make it louder, in that never ending search for more power. If you want creature comforts buy a Vette, BMW, or whatever, they have all the bells and whistles. If you want to experience DRIVING a car get a Viper. Vipers are not everyday drivers although many on this board do use them for that. If you are considering buying an RT/10 look for one with a hardtop and Vmania window, there will be a noticeable difference in noise with top and windows, but you will still have to crank the radio up.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A top on an RT10----You don't need no stinkin top on an RT10, you want to hear the beautiful exhaust notes singing to you and all the sounds of the open road, not to mention the wonderful smells of summer like new mown grass, dead skunks in the middle of the road, etc. However, having the top on it does seem to make it a fair bit quieter inside when it gets cooler, the radio can even be turned down a few notches for sure. With the top and the V Mania windows on, I can even hear my wife talk in a volume somewhat lower than an actual shout as well. When the top is off, you really need an intercom system to talk to the person in the seat next to you, once you go over 50 mph or so.
But you know what, who cares, it is great just to cruise with the top off in the summer, but make sure you wear a hat, especially if you are folliclly (is that a word?) challenged like me. You don't want to cook your last active brain cell while out for a summer's drive.
******* is the only way to go.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never owned or seen one of the "trunktop" hard tops.

But if I didn't already have a hardtop, that's what I would be getting.

In fact, I could probably buy one with what I could get for my stock hardtop and soft top.

As for your question,
The gen 1 soft top and side curtains are nothing more than an afterthought. I'm sure the car was designed without any thought of how they would put a top on it.

It was designed to be an open roadster. The stock hardtop doesn't leak but the side curtains do.
The stock soft top leaks.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it be fair to say that if one doesn't have a Viper w/i 500 posts then he should go on the "I might buy a Viper this century" site?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jeff Lemke hardtop that fits in trunk is only $1995. Why buy anything else?

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never have even taken the soft top out of the carry bag in 2+ years. My hard top has never leaked. It cuts out almost all of the wind and exaust noise. If it's nice...the top comes off. If it's under 60 degrees or over 90...the top stays on.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it be fair to say that if one doesn't have a Viper w/i 500 posts then he should go on the "I might buy a Viper this century" site?
He and Francisco should get together and go for a "Buy one get one half price deal!" :D

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if my soft top leaks . it is at tators. Chuck is my top leaking? must pick it up one of these days.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 RT/10.

1. Canvas top never seen rain - don't know.
2. Hardtop seals great. Been in a downpour - not a drop of water got inside the car. Hardtop did not leak at all.
3. Car is quieter with hard top on (to the driver - it doesn't affect the sound for those outside the car :smirk: ). There is a noticable difference between the hard top and the canvas top in terms of driver noise.
4. Use the hardtop much more than the canvas. Canvas top is just so I can take it in the trunk "just in case" the weather turns bad. Or when it's just a little to cold for my fiance to have the top off. (The cars top, not hers ;) )

Top_Fuel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...If you are considering buying an RT/10 look for one with a hardtop and Vmania windows, there will be a noticeable difference in noise with top and windows...
I appreciate the replies. I think that answer was what I was looking for.

I would definitely enjoy driving an open roadster...even with a dead skunk or two in the road! But in reality there may come a time when I actually need the car to function as a half-way reasonable mode of transportation. It sounds like a hard top and aftermarket side windows will make that possible.

Yeah...I know what you guy are thinking...Vipers are supposed to be fast, not reasonable! :D I'll try to explain that to my wife. ;)

Thanks again for the feedback. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vampyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I joined ViperClub.org yesterday and have posted a couple of time, I am in the process of picking out a Viper and wanted to get some basic owner info... Anyone who buys a car without asking some current owners questions is a fool.

'Nuff said..

current toys
http://home.rochester.rr.com/vampyres/

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont worry about it, bro. He, and a few others on here have a sick compulsion to rag on the non-Viper owners who only want to ask simple questions before investing in their car... despite what toys you currently own... you'll get used to it

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Does the canvas top leak? ONly used once when I got caught in shower, couldn't tell since did not have any windows in as I raced home.

Does the hard top leak? I have the Mopar HArdtop with VMANIA windows, no leaks

how much quiter is the ride with the hard top on. above combo, much quiter

Do you use the hard top more then the canvas top? canvas stay in trunk for that extreme emergency, hardtop goes on when it just gets too cold and stays on till next spring.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a RT/10 and 2 tops.

The ONLY reason using hard top is when it is below 40 degrees.

The ONLY reason using soft top is when it rains.

Other than that both stay in garage year round! (and that includes the rear window...)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V & V don't be so sensitive. You're just getting a friendly little initiation. You should see the kind of grief we give AB and he's been here for years. LOL

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both tops. I swap they back and forth for different reasons.
1) Each top changes the look of the car dramaticly. Depends on my mood what look I like on any given day.
2) The soft top works great when you want to take an overnight trip with the option to go ******* (weather permitting).
3) The hard top is quieter than the soft top, but keep in mind...Viper's are not quiet.

Rain can get in with both Tops. But its probably not where you would think. All the water runs off the hood and dumps into the base of the windsheild frame, then it tracks around and drips in near the speakers on the door, ending up in the footwells. I have been told that this happens on some GTS cars too.

Finally- When you buy a car most of these thing won't matter anymore... Unless your looking for something other than a Viper, but you have a Porsche
:confused:

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both tops. I swap they back and forth for different reasons.
1) Each top changes the look of the car dramaticly. Depends on my mood what look I like on any given day.
2) The soft top works great when you want to take an overnight trip with the option to go ******* (weather permitting).

We are still talking about Vipers right? ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4