Newbie wants to buy, needs help

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1995 that is listed for $33,900. It's got 15,000 miles and the engine and paint looks very clean. The interior is 90% in great condition with a few problems (glove compartment will not close, a torn driver side seatbelt restraint, etc.). It's convertible top and side windows are in good shape. He said he will fix all the cosmetic problems.

I offered $30,000 but the dealer will not budge from $33,900. By the way, I went out looking for a Jaguar XKR yesterday, and fell into this. Both my wife and I became totally infatuated :crazy: . My instinct is to buy it tomorrow. What do you all think ?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think that the price sounds high...and there are many questions to be asked...starting with head gasket situation.
The problems can be very expensive to fix ($1800-2000 for a head gasket fix at an experienced dealer...to #12,000-17,000 for an Arrow rebuild) though you can save a little if you are an experienced mechanic yourself. There are those that feel it's not a matter of "if" on the head gasket, but "when"...however there are exceptions.

If you want to converse about Vipers in general tomorrow, e-mail me your number.

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, reading this site I became aware of the $2,000 dollar headgasket problem. I realize that I will be adding the extra $2,000 soon. Thanks for the offer to help, I'll be sending you my phone number.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny...not a bad price for the car. Offer $32,500 and explain you are aware of the 2K head gasket fix problem.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That isn't a bad price. Look at the under side of the engine for the tell tale leak patterns, just to make sure the gaskets aren't leaking now.

You may own the car for years and without any gasket problems. It's common to have them fail but not a sure thing.

The good thing about the deal you are looking at is that the car is right there for you to see and drive. You don't have to take anyones word or fly to a distant city.

If you like it, buy it.

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I drove it yesterday. That did it, wow. It made my current Jag XK8 feel like grandma's car.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That should be no surprise since your Jag XK8 is a grandma's car. :)

Just kidding, but you didn't buy that Jag thinking it was a real performance car, did you?
It weighs about as much as my Suburban doesn't it?

Keep your Jag for road trips. I'll bet it's a great car for that.

You will be happy with your Viper. Good Luck

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny, I had a red Jag XK8. Lots of looks, not much power.
Followed by a C5, then my GTS - top of the food chain.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Manny, it wouldn't hurt to have one of the members here look at the car for you. Just give the word and I'm sure someone here locally will check out the car for you.

By the way, if you were to go to a party, would you rather bring Martha Stewart (XK8) or Pamela Anderson (Viper)? There IS that much difference between the 2 cars. Just make sure you buy the right Viper and you will NEVER regret it.

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car had some registration paperwork that listed the previous owner. I called him. He said that the car was in great shape. He traded it in for a 2001 viper. It seems like once you get bitten by one of these snakes, you get hooked. Anyway, any members in Houston ? I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer today at noon. If everything goes right, I'll be driving one back this afternoon.

By the way, anyone know where to get a hard top with windows that open ? If you get aftermarket solid glass windows how can you open the car ?