next car purchase...

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are missing my key point. I have driven them only on the track and all were modded. Some was just track tires and brake pads, others was motor. I get it, they are fast and never debated that. The point was they are not so much a drivers car, but an engineering marvel instead. I guess you can use the term "destroy" on the track and the street, but street stuff to me is for high school. The track is where it is at and the skill that goes with it. The GTR's are fast, but definitely not king and not destroying folks by any means. the 911 GT3 will be faster as will the Gen4 viper with folks that know how to drive them and particularly the ACR and many times a gen3 viper proper equipped. Again though, that is not the point. The point was about the joy of driving it and knowing that you are improving each time as a driver, not the car doing the work for you. Now, imagine if it was a rear wheel drive car. Now you would be fully engaged, requiring some serious skill but you would no longer be destroying anybody. I know that is not what the car is, but that is why I say its biggest pro is also its biggest con.

btw, you got to stop insulting folks when they disagree with you assuming they must not understand. Having driven all the cars discussed, I would definitely take the 911 GT3 and probably any of the 911's over the GTR. Simply put, just a much higher quality class of car. Would not want a ZR1, but would rather look at it than a GTR and that lies the problem, it just is not a good looking car. Fast car though, no disputing that.

I guess being able to destroy everyone else both on the street and on the track is not for everyone. I personally will never get rid of my GTS unless it was for a better Viper because I love the looks, and will only get rid of my GT-R for a much faster GT-R. I think owning both is like having the best of both worlds. But going from a modded GT-R to a 911 turbo or a ZR1 would be such a downgrade for me. I don't see how how either of those cars compare to even a lightly modded GT-R. 911's are tail heavy handfuls that I always see in my rear view mirror and ZR1's are plastic fantastics that can't touch me on the street. Things must be wack over in WA because around here many GT-R owners came from owning modded ZR-1's. The GT-R is like a rocket with and extra booster turned off at the factory. Once you turn that extra 200+HP on with a tune and minor bolt ons, the ride is insane and never get's old. Some folks are ok with 11 sec cars and it's more than enough power on the street and on the track for them, and I respect that. A couple of my friends can't ride with me because they say I make them wanna throw up when I drive it. It's not for everyone, but I personally can't go back to anything lesser after having owned a 9.9 sec street car that is killer on the track.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had three vipers Viperbilliam..m..how in the world does gtr styling excite you? Its the most boring sports car I've personally seen. Big and boxy? Decent performance that was amazing back in 2009....

Really? Big and boxy? I suppose relatively speaking but in general, no. Interior is slightly boring relatively speaking compared to the Viper but looking at the rear with its offset 4 tailights, the bronze calipers, the front fender coves (kind of like the Viper's) and the roof angle does get me going. This and its performance as klamathpro points out for the money gets on my list. Obviously you and I are talking pretty subjective points and we're at opposite ends. I can't understand why you and others (Vette and Viper owners) think "meh" or hate the GTR but that's OK.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a buddy with a stock 2011 and another friend with a 760 a who gtr.

They do nothing for me.

They are fast 0-60 for sure.

But from a 60 roll I used to beat 600 hp gets in my at the time 500 hp viper.

That's the weak spot of the gtr. 60 mph they are in third gear. To each their own. I will never personally own one. Bland styling and they are all over the place here in Hawaii. Probally average seeing one or two per week. Im happy they exist as competition is fun. Just not my thing unless I had to have just one car.

I'd personally take a v8 r8 anyday of the week over one and the genV viper is in a totally differant league imho

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a 2008 r8 with 20k miles from a private seller for a fair price. I will likely purchase next week. The genV is calling my name and Ive got a feeling Ill be in another viper if this r8 bores me. I feel like an ass choosing 420 hp over 640 hp. Just gotta try somthing differant though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte