Next gen Viper discussed in AutoWeek...scary!!

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some data on how effective traction control is.

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/Electronic-Stability-Control/

There are so many senseless Viper accidents that traction control would have either prevented, or minimized that it's silly not to include it.

I have a 180mph car that includes an ash tray, CD changer, and decorative "roll" hoops, but no traction control.

Amateur auto cross events will be kind of boring if everyone chooses to use traction control, but on the streets, we'll all be better off.

~Jay

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well said Kenric. Although you know our Lambos are much safer with all wheel drive! When you floor a 600 or 800+ horsepower viper things are much different. Thats why you see people crashing vipers all the time! The reality of things is many people will be safer with traction control and many lives will be saved. For the people who have more driving skill they can simply turn off traction control, its just that simple! Theres nothing to debate about!

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If an owner doesn't want the the TC on just turn it off when you drive. It's that simple. That's what I do with my Murci So, with the new Viper just turn all the nannies off. Problem solved for the people who don't like it. And for those who don't like the new Viper keep the one you have.

I agree that some people need TC because they can't fking drive and would be better off with a hyundai or a prius. My friend's Z06 TC keeps malfunctioning and I know that this problem is not so uncommon. Hopefully they work those bugs out.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red Vipers have more accidents than any other color Viper. It's a fact girls, look it up. The government should not allow red Vipers. Hurry ladies! Write your congressmen! Save the children!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Kenric. Although you know our Lambos are much safer with all wheel drive!

I rode shotgun around turn 17 at Sebring in a Murcielago. Turn 17 is a big 180. With the tires squeeling and the gas peddle to the floor we ended up doing a complete 360. That was with TC and the first thing the driver said when we came to a stop was, "I didn't think it would do that." Remember that story when you rely on your nannies. I don't want anyone coming back dead saying "But...but...but I had TC!"

Oh, and ABS isn't gonna save your life either. It'll save you from a fender bender but if you're going fast enough to kill yourself ABS isn't gonna save you. Your seatbelt will save you from dying. Crush zones will save you from dying. Nannies in a sports car will not.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck,

How many times have ween seen vipers do 360's on a race track? Or any other car? ANY car can do a 360 or crash.

All wheel drive or traction control will not prevent driver error or going too fast! You know that! But all wheel drive is safer. I think even you can agree on that. It simply gives you more traction. I think you MIGHT even agree that traction control is safer and does save lives. Sure it doesn't prevent all errors, and traction control isnt really at its place on the race track but traction control has saved tens of thousands of lives in normal everyday situations out in the real world.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, traction control is a good thing to have for the street as long as it's not intrusive (can be turned off completely). Of course it's not a substitute for a good driving school. All wheel drive is neat but adds too much weight. Good point about the nannies - worthless without seat belts and crush zones.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper crowd has become so emasculated. Trying so hard to be something it's not. The Porsche is looking more and more attractive, at least it sticks to its roots.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rode shotgun around turn 17 at Sebring in a Murcielago. Turn 17 is a big 180. With the tires squeeling and the gas peddle to the floor we ended up doing a complete 360. That was with TC and the first thing the driver said when we came to a stop was, "I didn't think it would do that." Remember that story when you rely on your nannies. I don't want anyone coming back dead saying "But...but...but I had TC!"

Oh, and ABS isn't gonna save your life either. It'll save you from a fender bender but if you're going fast enough to kill yourself ABS isn't gonna save you. Your seatbelt will save you from dying. Crush zones will save you from dying. Nannies in a sports car will not.

False!

Nannies can help prevent the accident in the first place. Ever hydroplaned before? Ran across black ice? No even the finest of drivers can match the recovery of stability systems from a hydroplane situation. Stability systems have saved many thousands of lives by preventing accidents in the first place.

A simple on/off should suffice. 99% of viper drivers can't handle 70% of what a viper can do. And that's not even taking weather and other drivers into consideration.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing they are fairly interested in moving more units even at the expense of some of the dilution of the original Viper DNA. Traction control (as well as other amenities which will make the car more dive-able) should help sales. The car needs to appeal to more buyers.

I think it may be similar to what they have done with the Jeep Wrangler. I am on my fifth one. I was at the dealership looking at the new ones and a guy next to me was looking at one as well. He was asking the salesman about leather seats and navigation. The salesman said they had several that fit his bill in stock and the MSRP would be nearing 40k. A 40k Jeep Wrangler. Its great that they have evolved the car to appeal to a broader audience because in the past that same buyer would never have bought a Jeep. I guess the downside is that it used to be that every time I passed another Jeep on the road we would both give the "Jeep Wave". On the new Wranglers that tradition seems to be largely gone. Its hard to have it both ways (I am told the wave is still alive and well but only on TJ's and older).

I for one am a fan of less because it seems to more closely align with the original intention of the car but I also understand that it was not too long ago they were aggressively shopping the Viper and had no true interested buyers. I am confident they are reintroducing the Viper with the intention of it to be profitable. When you drive a Viper you need to respect every mechanical and environmental aspect. While I happen to like it that way I respect that it may not be for all drivers. In order for the car to evolve (and perhaps survive) it may need to transform just a bit.

While I was at the Jeep/Dodge dealership my wife commented on how beautiful the new Challenger is. The seats and interior are beautiful she said. It is important to note she hates driving in the 71 Hemi that rides on Polyglas tires, lacks traction control and has no radio. It is loud, uncomfortable, stinks like exhaust and does not have proper seat belts. She says she feels unsafe in the car. Its funny that I never notice any of that.

I will keep the 71 and try to live without music and enjoy the fact that I must be focused when the tires are cold in the Fall.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187