No cats with stock resonators?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After experiencing the power of a cat-free Gen II this weekend (thanks Paul) I've decided to pull my cats. However, if I do this before switching over to the Borla, or comparable, system, what will the effect be on the stock resonators? Will the removal of the cats fry the stock resonators or do any other sort of damage with the stock cat-back system in place?

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removal of your cats will not damage your exhaust, but it will extract a toll on our enviroment. I doubt that it was the lack of cats that made the Gen II you drove so much better. I would take a close look at all the mods on that snake before jumping to conclusions.

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to the concern over the environment, the marginal amount of pollution that will be set forth upon the atmosphere from the extra carbon exiting my car a handful of miles a year is nothing to lose sleep over. The pollution created from one cow (i.e., the environmental harm from the harvesting and planting of its feed, the slaughter of the animal and the methane produced while its alive) is substantially greater than the extra carbon monoxide a cat-less Viper produces. Does that mean you'll stop eating beef or jump on a Nader bandwagon? While that may not justify my adding to the perceived pollution problem, it does put it in perspective. Besides, my pre-'72 daily driver is not required to have a power-robbing cat, and actually gets worse gas mileage than any Viper, so I'm willing to bet I'd be giving the environment a break by driving a cat-less Viper instead of my completly California legal daily driver.

As far as performance, no one can tell me that there is any other mod that will provide equal or greater performance gains at a cheaper price. I have seen various posts on this board attesting to 10-15 hp gains with cat removal. At a cost ranging from $0 for a do it yourself job to $300 for a flange install, it has to rank on an even level with smooth tubes and K&Ns.

My only question is, will this fry the stock resonators? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery