No radiator fan?

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went on a nice cruise yesterday and was in the car from 7:00 AM till around 6:00 PM and never had any issues. When I had it on the track for a few laps it got a little warm, but I was pushing it a bit in lower gears for about 10 miles. (2.6 mi track). Drove home with the temp in norman position. Got in the car to go to town this morning and as soon as I would slow down for traffic, it would start to heat up. Out on the highway all is good. Got home and checked--fan was running. Let the car sit to cool down and when started again, fan will not come on for love nor money. Checked fan and it is good. I have power through fuse to relay and with a bench test--relay pulls in just fine. Is it possible that just that one function in the PCM that energizes the ran relay has gone south? All else seems fine.:( Art

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your car? If you turn on the A/C, the fan should automatically come on regardless of engine temp. Does it?

OP
OP
A

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would appear I've found it!! Bad connection for the ground to the relay coil in the socket. Talk about out of left field! I wired the relay outside the car with jumper wires and the fan kicked right on at the proper temp. When I plugged the relay back in the socket it wouldn't work. I inserted a 20 gauge wire into the socket in the relay. hooked up to a ground and plugged the relay back in. Bingo. Removed the wire from the ground source and the fan continued to run. I guess it's just a bad socket in the power distribution center. Rather than replace the whole distribution center and all the harnesses that go with it---I think for now I'll just leave my little piece of wire in it's place. (It's only about 1/8" long and acting like a spacer in the socket.) Can't see the harm in that. I know it's "Bubba" but I don't want to let the car sit till I can buy all the needed electrical components to repair it properly.

OP
OP
A

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meet me at The Ginger Man in Ft. Worth on Camp Bowie some evening, and the Beer's on me. You call the day. :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have my car back mid May after a 4-1/2 month hiatus. I'll look you up then. Heck, I should holler at ba$$fan too. He owes me one for changing all the fluids in his car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang