Non horsepower upgrades that can help your viper experiance

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 1996 Viper GTS back in 2005 with 11,500 miles. It now has 42,500 miles of which some were track related. For those not looking to perform any major modifications, I have found the following upgrades to be a great investment in my viper experience:

1) SCT Controller (Dyno Tuned).
2) Woodhouse engine and transmission mounts.
3) Pinned harmonic crank damper bolt.
4) Replaced cheap OEM power steering bracket and pulley with billet.
5) Added differential drain plug (Was done because I was tracking my viper a lot)
6) Added HiPo power steering vent from Roe Racing.
7) Added A/C valve (stops AC loss on acceleration).
8) Added Speed Bleeders for bleeding brake fluid (Added as I was doing a lot of track events).
9) Added Rad Cap radiator cap.
10) Added First Strike MGM shifter.
11) Added extra heater hose clamp.
12) Changed fuel pump to a Walbro 255LPH.

Just some suggestions that you can make to your viper in 2013.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All very good and worthwhile upgrades, for prolonging the "Fun" in your Gen II Viper.
Thanks Chris. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power steering bracket and pulley is a great suggestion. Might as well change the high pressure PS hose while your at it.

Diff plug is a good one too.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you changed out the factory fuel pump. Did the OEM pump fail? I'd like to try out the Speed Bleeders.

Reaction score
One of the absolute biggest changes you can make is to replace the suspension with MCS coil overs. The ride and handling are phenomenal!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or....check and adjust your stock Koni's. All 4 of my shocks were set differently from the factory. I ended up adjusting them 2.5 turns (half turns) each per Tator and made the ride much, much better.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you changed out the factory fuel pump. Did the OEM pump fail? I'd like to try out the Speed Bleeders.

I've had the speed bleeders on my Viper since 2006 and they've been great. Makes for an easy 1 person brake fluid change unless one has the MityVac setup ala Dave6666.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up with #11, the extra heater hose clamp?

The two coolant lines that go into the heater box on the passenger side will sometimes back off. Tator uses zip ties and ties the two hoses together. I'm sure someone has pics, if not I can take some later tonight.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the woodhouse engine and transmission mounts, mine are shot, but really don't want more vibration from the engine. Some say it settles down (or they get use to it) while others mention the added vibration doesn't really go away.

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rev heat, what kind of tune did you do with your SCT? I just got one at a good price along with some slightly used high flow cats.

OP
OP
R

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whose tune did you buy?

I had ART tune it on the dyno. Took around 7 dyno runs before we got the perfect tune. Though maximum HP did not increase, the mid range RPM's HP did. You could really tell the difference in the smoothness of the throttle response after the tune.

OP
OP
R

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was getting some engine detonation due to the originally fuel pump. It made a hugh difference and was well worth the money!

OP
OP
R

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should add that before I bought my car, it already had installed 3.55 rear end and also a Borla exhaust. I love them both!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture for you!

You must be registered for see images attach

When the foam around the hoses at the top and bottom of your picture get old and dried out. That is where the water comes in that wets the passenger side footwell. Not the heater core. Sorry for the hijack.