Non-warranty repairs

OP
OP
C

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great, so from the sounds of it i'm looking at a parctically trouble free car so long as I don't "abuse" it and maintain regularily. Maintenance isn't a real concern for me, that's a given, and have always been able to manage general type repairs on all my cars and racebikes.

Thanks for your responses.

OP
OP
C

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And no worries about that "bump on the chin" (I googled that and still can't find what it implies)

Had you published your forum resume early on I doubt she would have bothered.

Ah, I guess that search thing isn't what it's cracked up to be. So sometimes people just need to ask a question without having to search and search to get answers.

Bump on the chin by the way is an expression from where one bumps another or even themselves on the chin in the form of a fist as a way of showing gratitude or congradulation for the other. Much like one would by patting another on the back.

And thanks for the advice, next forum I join, I'll be sure to include my resume prior to posting.

Cheers.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, no resume necessary - just take it a little easier on the people that are sincerely trying to help when you are new to the area. They will eventually figure out your credentials.

And yes, the Viper is largely trouble-free even with a fair amount of normal abuse. While people tend to use the term "bulletproof" too often with this car, I will say that it can take it as well as any car I have seen. It is a street-legal track car in many respects and built accordingly.

Good luck in your (car) search!

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cobra, I've had a Cobra ('96) and found it to be trouble-free. I've had three Vipers, a Gen I, a II and a III. All were as reliable as any car I've ever owned. You wouldn't be at all disappointed with the upkeep or maintenance of the Viper, except for the extra charge for oil changes (which I prefer to do myself for half the price), and a rare wheel alignment (I've done one in all my experience, and that on a used car, as a precaution.) I would take out the best extended warranty from Dodge, not from an independent co., just as an insurance policy against a motor failure if you are tracking without the oil swingtube and high pressure oil pump from the Competition Coupe. I don't have much trouble with replacing air in the gas tank, as I have gotten as much as 21.9 in a Gen III, driving 70-80 on the interstate. It's city driving, city at redlights and constantly accelerating and braking in traffic that brings down the MPG. This is one truly tough car which can be rungout without fear of breaking. I never tracked my Gen III, but I had a blast tracking my Gen II GTS at places like Road Atlanta, Texas World Speedway, No Problem Raceway, etc. Dragracing caused no problems,either. Good luck.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the motor. It's a Dodge.
Worry about damaging the body panels especially on a Gen 2.
How much for a lil side sill? 3-4K or more for a piece of bent aluminum??????

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shucks Ray, I'm blushing now...
I'm still slithering around with the rest of the little techie Lizards for now. Some day I'll get my wings and fly like a real Wizard.

A nod to our Viper Wizard indeed...that's a good one from Raysir "Dave the Tator Tot Techie"...:lmao: :lmao: !! Is excellent you CAN work on your own Viper~~~juli

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 15500+ miles on mine and I'm very pleased with the reliabililty and cost of ownership (relatively speaking - it's going to cost more than a Honda!). Unfortunately I can't say the same about the last Vette I owned before this one. This is a LOW production car so some parts could get expensive and hard to get.