Noob with buying question

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 02 has a few more goodies as well.
Like a remote rear window release, power mirrors a nicer shifter and what some would say are nicer door panels.
The 2002 also has a better frame, the older cars had a recall and they had to add a bunch of support to the frame.
They also had 18" wheels instead of the 17" older wheels.
I think that the newer "cream puff" engine may be a little better in the long run as long as you are not going with boost.

I say FE all the way if you don't want to boost.

All this coming from the owner of a 98 GTS.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side :)

I agree with C-Note for all those reasons:2tu:

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 99'...I think it had all of that except the ABS...And the "FE" plaque of course! BUT had the forged motor and cam...I wanted to boost...But never did. Probably will on the next one.

It never had the frame recall request...Maybe because it was a LATE 99'? It had the 18" wheels, the remote release, power mirrors...Did it have the newer door panels you are mentioning? Never knew about that change.

It is nice to know all I can...I will be back with another!!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99'...I think it had all of that except the ABS...And the "FE" plaque of course! BUT had the forged motor and cam...I wanted to boost...But never did. Probably will on the next one.

It never had the frame recall request...Maybe because it was a LATE 99'? It had the 18" wheels, the remote release, power mirrors...Did it have the newer door panels you are mentioning? Never knew about that change.

It is nice to know all I can...I will be back with another!!

Recall 998 -- 1996-1999 1/2 Steering Rack Mounts and Differential Mounts

Recall 999 -- 1999 1/2 (post March 1 build date) through 2000 JUST the STEERING RACK MOUNTS

And yes. I do believe that your 99 had the newer door panels, it was actually more just the inside handles.

OP
OP
F

financialman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I bought the FE! I just liked the fact that it was a limited edition and I like the white stipes! The 98 was solid red, although I could have gone with either car and been happy.

This is one powerful SOB! I drove it over 150 miles so far just getting to know it, man this thing will spin the tires like your on ice if you want to! Alot of attention as well, lots of thumbs up and the like, even got decent gas milage when I was able to keep my foot out of it.

Everything works like new, it was quite warm today, about 85, the AC blows ice cold. This car came with all the original paper work, window sticker, tags, reciepts, you name it, heck the owners manual plastic bag had never even been opened!

I think $37K was a fair price for a like new FE Viper with all documents.I will get some pictures up when I can. I have a wife and 3 kids to so time is short sometimes.

Thanks for the opinions on my purchase, it is appreciated.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!:drive:
I think the FE was a good choice and of course you're enjoying it already that's the best part....
And what Jon B said - check the date codes on the tires... if they haven't been used much but they've gotten old they are a serious liability with that much torque!

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't read through what others have posted so if I repeat anything I'm sorry lol.

If you are planning on hanging on to this car and, like you stated, have no intentions of modding it, without a doubt, GET THE F.E.

Those cars are rare, the last year and last model of the GTS, and are very nice to look at. Also, re-sale value should NOT be your top concern...BUT...in this case, that is and will be a legit collectors car down the road.

Oh and 37K for an F.E. GTS is a really good price...I don't know why anyone would think it's not especially with only 13K miles on it.

Last thing, to piggy-pack on what Lee said, PLEASE make sure it is a no kidding LEGIT Final Edition!

EDIT: Sorry I just read that you bought the F.E. LOL. Congrats! You did make sure it was a real F.E. right? ;)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg that's awsome! post pics when you can, if you need help just pm me.

I would love to see that Viper.

OP
OP
F

financialman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't read through what others have posted so if I repeat anything I'm sorry lol.

If you are planning on hanging on to this car and, like you stated, have no intentions of modding it, without a doubt, GET THE F.E.

Those cars are rare, the last year and last model of the GTS, and are very nice to look at. Also, re-sale value should NOT be your top concern...BUT...in this case, that is and will be a legit collectors car down the road.

Oh and 37K for an F.E. GTS is a really good price...I don't know why anyone would think it's not especially with only 13K miles on it.

Last thing, to piggy-pack on what Lee said, PLEASE make sure it is a no kidding LEGIT Final Edition!

EDIT: Sorry I just read that you bought the F.E. LOL. Congrats! You did make sure it was a real F.E. right? ;)

It is a real FE no doubt about it. Besides the proper stitching and number plate it has all the original paper work and window sticker. It is number 323 and it was already up on the FE registry with pics and everything. I will get some pics up soon, looks like beautiful weather all week!

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice dude. You got one hell of a buy. If you hang on to that car, IMO it will be worth the most out of all the GTS's someday (along with the B/W)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Now an OWNER !!!

Well I bought the FE!........ This is one powerful SOB! I drove it over 150 miles so far just getting to know it, man this thing will spin the tires like your on ice if you want to!.......

CONGRATS X 2002

But DANGER-DAN........ the reason those tires spin like ice could be that they are older rubber, even if not OE to the car. DO INSPECT the date codes.....any tire store can show you where they are, or go to tirerack.com and see their date code decoder.

Also see the "KEEPING NEW OWNERS SAFE" forum..... many many owners, and their friends, put their new Viper in a ditch the first 90 days they own it. PLEASE DONT BE ONE!
And DONT let friends-drive sober-------or maybe ever.

I hope this site was a help....Plz join VCA-VENOM..you have a GREAT club in your region......their newsletter is almost as nice as Viper Magazine! DO CONSDIER buying the 2001-2002 VM Back Issues that feature your car.....

and CONGRATS

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R