Noooooo grip at all.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you guys know this as do I but remember the cold pavement now that for some of us it's getting cold out! It's 39 degrees here in CT and on a quick run to the store I "tested" how bad the grip would be and their was zero! So just a reminder cold weather guys, be careful...

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And in this state the temp ranges about 20 degrees as you change elevation and distance from the shore, so it might be decent at home but dangerous just a half hour away!

Ashford is 30* right now :crazy2:

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Mid 50s here today with a bright sun. Awesome day for a run in the snake. Not much traffic on I81 made for a sweet ride. Actually got to use 6th gear. :drive:

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, it's been 30-60 here in lovely Des Moines, IA... this way when I tell onlookers that I can spin the tires in 4th gear it's true... 1 time on accident doing 90-100 and anytime I want at any speed when the temp's below 50! :)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info. Does anone want to take an over / under bet on how many we loose between now &
Jan 1 ?

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info. Does anone want to take an over / under bet on how many we loose between now &
Jan 1 ?

Well unfortunately the fatality in London was a day after I posted and it was 36 degrees according to someone's post in that thread! I don't know about over/under's but I would bet grip had everything to do with that crash!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last drive this year in the SRT-8 in October was during a nice and sunny Indian summer day...nevertheless, the roads never warmed up and the tires had a hard time getting any grip. Time to put the snake(s) into hibernation. Driving a Viper and having no grip is no fun. It's plain dangerous.
But after nine winters I got used to it. #10 will be no different.

rocco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spun my car around the other day in a ditch in wethersfield CT. About 40 degrees never saw that ******

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well unfortunately the fatality in London was a day after I posted and it was 36 degrees according to someone's post in that thread! I don't know about over/under's but I would bet grip had everything to do with that crash!

I was about a half hour south from the accident and temp was about 50 that time of day, did get up to low 60's around 2, actually put the top down.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Winters aren't terribly bad here in Virginia - but I am curious about something. About how long does it take to warm up the tires to your comfort level?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I feel for you cold weather guys.

+1, I guess I've always took it for granted that I can pretty much drive year round. Though it does get a lil' more rainy at times & gets down to around 30 degrees, so I guess thats not ideal driving, but I can't Imagine the Blizzards you guys can get. But on the other hand, every year we pray for snow! & very seldom do we get it, so in that way I kinda envy you. But for driving purposes it would ****!

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
but I can't Imagine the Blizzards you guys can get. But on the other hand, every year we pray for snow! & very seldom do we get it, so in that way I kinda envy you. But for driving purposes it would ****!

Gerry, no need to imagine. I'd be happy to swap locations for the next 5 months. :)

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took mine out just before hibernation and was shocked at the difference on cold pavement. But I've only owned mine for a mere couple months. Have a LOT of learning and driving ahead of me. And looking forward to every minute of it!!!!:headbang:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been driving in the cold weather for six winters now with Viper never lost it once.
It's no different than any other car, you slow down and ease on and off the the throttle.
If you drive the same as you would on a warm summer day hammering the turns you'll wreck it. Simple.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been driving in the cold weather for six winters now with Viper never lost it once.
It's no different than any other car, you slow down and ease on and off the the throttle.
If you drive the same as you would on a warm summer day hammering the turns you'll wreck it. Simple.

No different than any other car? That is a ridiculous statement, it is not like any other car even in warm weather!!:dunno: Why do you drive your car in the winter in NY on cold and sand and salt filled roads anyway?:confused: This I gotta hear...;)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid 50s here today with a bright sun. Awesome day for a run in the snake. Not much traffic on I81 made for a sweet ride. Actually got to use 6th gear. :drive:

Mark, just out of curiousity, I know you just got your new snake, they aren't the original tires are they?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No different than any other car? That is a ridiculous statement, it is not like any other car even in warm weather!!:dunno: Why do you drive your car in the winter in NY on cold and sand and salt filled roads anyway?:confused: This I gotta hear...;)

Obviously not in sandy or wet conditions, Einstein.
But driving a Viper in the cold or the rain should not be a problem with common sense and an awareness of current road conditions.

It's the dipsticks who drive the same way regardless of road conditions that wreck their cars.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Obviously not in sandy or wet conditions, Einstein.
But driving a Viper in the cold or the rain should not be a problem with common sense and an awareness of current road conditions.

Agreed. I had mine out a couple weeks ago when about 40*. Used common sense. Planning on taking mine out this weekend, and supposed to be cold. As long as the roads are clear and dry, and no precipitation in the forecast, I'll will drive her (VERY VERY carefully) ocassionally this winter. I don't believe in letting cars sit for long periods. I'll be driving like your grandma in her '78 Volare though!:rolaugh: The moms in minvans will be blasting by me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang