Not Cats? Rear O2 sensors?

rogerdarabbit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone used what is referred to as "mechanical" o2 simulators, when running with a cat delete exhaust system, on their Viper effectively? I am going to get rid of the cats and resonators on my '98 GTS and go with headers and dynomax race bullets...hoping to prevent throwing a code.

Using sparkplug non-foulers to space the sensor out of direct exhaust flow

You must be registered for see images attach

This was found over on another forum but is being done with a 4 ******.

Thanks

Last edited:

cabinetman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my experience, on my 97 coupe I did nothing but headers (off a 98) and cat delete, and had no default codes. Personally, I wouldn't use any O2 simulators. What can happen is if there is a code thrown that is not related to the O2 levels the simulators may mask the real problem. Just do the delete and enjoy the extra HP

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im on the fence with this one. I have the sims and every once in a while the code will throw anyway. It seems to throw if I don't let her warm up all the way, or I start it just to back it out and wash. Usually on the return to the garage the code is tossed. IMO delete the cats and see what yours does. If there is a code, put the sims in.

:usa:

EastTnMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to see what yours does..my 97 GTS throws a code after 1000 miles or so, ever since I removed the cats, resonators and muffler. I am running 2 short glasspack mufflers instead. I know many 97's do not, but mine does, and has ever since I changed the exhaust. I simply plug in my OBDII reader and erase the code every time it happens...which is not often, every 1000-1200 miles or do. You will love the cat delete!
Mike

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone used what is referred to as "mechanical" o2 simulators, when running with a cat delete exhaust system, on their Viper effectively? I am going to get rid of the cats and resonators on my '98 GTS and go with headers and dynomax race bullets...hoping to prevent throwing a code.

Using sparkplug non-foulers to space the sensor out of direct exhaust flow

This was found over on another forum but is being done with a 4 ******.

Thanks

Been using those for over a year on my '99. Never thrown a code.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think that setup is best described as working on some cars and not others.
On a '96, you don't even have to run sims if you take out the cats.
The earlier OBDII cars have the highest chance of it working (97-98).
On the later PCM's (certainly 2000+), it would probably not.
It may seem like it works because the code will set later, but it will still set.
It just takes time for the PCM to determine the fault has happened enough to turn the light on (hard code), even though it may be a pending code for some time (soft code, no light).

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 also with no cats and no sims or spacers. I have no codes. Try it first without and if you get a code then put the sims in.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may seem like it works because the code will set later, but it will still set.
It just takes time for the PCM to determine the fault has happened enough to turn the light on (hard code), even though it may be a pending code for some time (soft code, no light).

...so i guess be prepared for the light to come on yet: de-catted and before connecting replacement tube & muffler up ran the engine to discover the sound (yum!) - no codes from the detached sensors. connected the new arrangement up (inc. orig. sensors) and went out on test run and still no light/ code.. so far, so good :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wont for a few miles. like 100 i think. keep driving it but i bet its gonna be fine like mine with 5k miles since using them

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 Venom 600 has Borla headers with no cats and the spiral flow Moroso mufflers. After the cat delete a few weeks ago mine has not thrown a code.

Problem is I'm running extremely rich (black soot all over the rear). Anyone know of a cure? Can the PCM be flashed with a new fuel map or something like that?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that setup is best described as working on some cars and not others.
On a '96, you don't even have to run sims if you take out the cats.
The earlier OBDII cars have the highest chance of it working (97-98).

What is recommended for a 2002 then if you do not want codes:confused: Also, by running catless, is there a downside to it.

Robert