Now what have I done?

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to put a lightweight battery in my '08 to replace the heavyweight stocker. About a 12 lb savings. I followed instructions in the service manual ['03] as I don't have an '08 manual. Now the car runs fine but the check engine light is on even after driving it twice.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Eagles

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should clear up on the third or fourth driving cycle. It's most likely the internal timer if you had the battery disconected for a little while.
Don't worry.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why are you trying to save ever ounce of weight on this car ? are you doing something with it ? are you going to track it ?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the code to determine what code is being thrown. Assuming it's the battery is a mistake. You could very well be throwing a code for some other reason. If you don't have a code reader, go to an autoparts store such as Advance Auto/Pep Boys or Autozone. They will read the code for free.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eagles, as others have said a couple of more cycles should clear the code.

What type/brand battery did you purchase? Price range? Down the road I want to go the route you went

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why are you trying to save ever ounce of weight on this car ? are you doing something with it ? are you going to track it ?

If you knew Eagles.....

I can't imagine Eagles taking his car to the track, I went to his house once to help him install his CF speedster he bought and this guy takes such good care of his cars, he had tape over every surface that could possibly be scratched or touched. If he did go to the track the whole front of his car would be covered in blue masking tape:drive:

OP
OP
E

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red tan rt10--I installed an odyssey 925, it requires a new battery bracket beecause it is only prox half the size of atocker. I will try a couple more cycles.

GTS-R 001---Ha Ha, you are right, yes I am anal about my vipers. So far I have not raced my vipers, however in the 70's and 80' I raced in NHRA division 7 with Hemicuda's and a 440-6pak cuda in a/s as/a and bs/a. Just difficult to drag race with independent rear suspension.

eagles

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why does the ck eng light on come on after battery replacement please explain very curious.
thanks
adam

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of using a code reader, you can also do the key-on, key-off, three-times thing. Just cycle the key three times and the codes will show up on your odometer. Very cool (seemingly secret) trick on any Chrysler car. Even back in the 'old days' with mechanical odometers, almost all Chryslers would show the codes through the stock digital radio readout. Of course, to understand the codes, you need to have a service manual handy - or do a Google search on them (or ask here)...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I hope that your CEL cleared. If not, try to read it...as it would be interesting to see if you have a P0514, P0516, or P0517(doubt)...noting that these codes pertain to the battery temp sensor, which could be failing to contact the smaller battery, or could have become damaged or disconnected during the swap.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
P.S....to find the "codes" on the "take your best guess" 2008 Viper Service Manual CD...go to Engine, Engine Electrical Diagnostics, Diagnosis and Testing...and there they are.

It really takes a while to find routine "stuff" on this CD...at least when comparing it to a printed manual with an index!!!
What a pain in the Asp "progress" can be!!!!!!

OP
OP
E

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-Indy, and everyone else thanks for your reponces. I have been too busy to do anything yet. I do not have the 08 cd service manual only the 03 soft cover service manual which probably doesn't pertain to tne 08.

Eagles

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It should clear up on the third or fourth driving cycle. It's most likely the internal timer if you had the battery disconected for a little while.
Don't worry.

Disconnecting the battery threw the "internal timer" code on mine also....nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang