NSX owners suggest not buying a Viper

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="4">Get the snake!</FONT s>
You won't regret it. I find the NSX to be a higher performance (and cuter) version of my Legend. The NSX is a fine touring car, but doesn't have brute power or handling of the Viper. After the trip up the coast in the Viper, you will be more road-weary than if you had taken the NSX- and you will have a grin that cannot be erased.

These are two very different animals.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove an NSX before I drove a Viper, foolishly thinking that it was competion. It was not. The NSX is a blast to drive, but only above 5000 RPM. I really didn't want a car that I have to rev the piss out of just to get it to perform.

It's a sharp looking car, but it does not attract the attention that a Viper does. Many, many people will mistake it for a corvette.

I've taken the Viper on long trips with my wife and we both found it very comfortable. And I have no visibility issues what so ever. It takes several days to get used to the offset in the pedals, but feels very natural after that. And the heat has never bothered me.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the pre-'97 RT/10 is not very liveable as a daily driver. I have a '93 RT/10 and a '98 GTS and the GTS is fine for every day. But remember that a '96 and earlier RT/10 has no roll up windows or ouside door handles. Even JonB has a GTS now and I'll bet he admits it is a more liveable car than the RT/10.

The NSX is a technical tour de force and appeals to a truly different part of the brain. It is like a foil compared to a broadsword.

On track, no way any NSX is gonna take a Viper, unless there are very lopsided modifications to the NSX. Anyone says different can bring their NSX to Texas and get some of my RT/10 or GTS. I'd even venture to include the Comptech S/C version, although I have not seen one in action.

For daily driving, comfort, ergonomics and other subjective factors, it is more likely that people who prize such things over raw performance will prefer the NSX.

I obviously prefer the Viper, but both are fine cars. I will venture that if you try the latter you will never go back. I rarely hear of people dumping Vipers for other machinery unless they don't care too much about ultimate performance or can afford the quantum leap in price to a 911TT (that is not any better a performer than a Viper) or Diablo/F50/McLaren F1 or other stratospherically priced exotica.

As for owners of other makes slamming Vipers, I consider it high praise. Why bemoan crap like driving position and ergonomics if you aren't getting you butt whipped in performance?

FWIW,

Keith

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys with the slower cars always say that they wanted comfort not speed.

It just depends on what you want to drive within a very broad continuum. How about a nice Cadillac Deville? They have a lot more room then an NSX and are *really* comfortable on long trips.....

One thing about modded cars, such as a superchared NSX, is that they generally have some kind of reliability, emissions, or re-sale woes. Although, I don't doubt that with enough boost, you could make one go pretty fast.

Jim

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my Viper every day except for today. There is over 8 inches of snow right outside of my office right now. Thats why I have a suburban. I live in the Texas Panhandle so it will be gone tomorrow.

When I had a Mitsubishi 3000VR4 I parked it near an NSX and no one seemed to notice the NSX but noticed the 3000. Between the Viper and the 3000 its the same except everyone looks at the Viper.

As you can tell by reading the board having a Viper is not just about performance, its not just about having a great looking car, its much more than that.

The best thing about having the Viper is the ability to cruise around at or about the speed limit and feel that you have tons of power at your disposal.

You really don't have to speed to enjoy the Viper.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was so fond of the quote below (previously posted on the VCA Discussion Board; can't recall who posted it), I saved it for future reference. It's probably as much an axiom for the NSX as it is for the Ferrari!

Sports Car International wrote "the 348 Ferrari is more like a fine cutlass and the Viper more of a two-handed battle-ax.
You can dispatch your opponent with either one, but only the Viper can cleave his head clear off in one massive stroke".

Pretty cool, ehh!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on what you want and like. I doubt that a Viper owner would say you should buy an NSX..and vice versa. There are some many ways that the NSX simply can't compare..power just being one example. I like the "raw edges" that the Viper has. Unless you are set on having a convertible..try out a GTS. I think you'll be surprised.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kverges, speaking of supercharged NSX's, there just happened to be one at TWS last May when I was up there. I only noticed it because he was pitted a couple slots down from us and I heard him talking big to his buddies about whipping up on some Viper. That got me curious so I timed him his next session. His self-envisioned bad-*** NSX was only turning 2:15 lap times on the 2.9 mile course!!! If he beat a Viper it was one of the less experienced (slower) guys because 2:15 AIN'T FAST at TWS. BTW, the normally aspirated NSX's were mostly running 2:15 to 2:20 lap times too so this guy obviously couldn't drive as well as he could talk.

Other than that, it's exactly like everyone has already stated. Two entirely different cars, one drive and the preference should be clear to anyone.

cheers,
john

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you asked my honest opinion, I would definetely suggest the Viper. There is nothing quite like it. You can always rely on the power, and use it when you choose. I would have to say that I do prefer my 2000 GTS over my 98 Rt/10. Not for any reasons you listed. The visibility in the Rt/10 is not a problem at all with the hard top on. I rarely took off the top. Yes the car is not a luxury car, but that's not what you purchase such a automobile for. If you want luxury, go for a Lincoln. If you want pure power and muscle, the Viper is it. I prefer the GTS over the Rt/10 because it is a much more solid ride. The permanent roof really stabilizes the car. You will not be disappointed should you decide on a Viper purchase. I personally guarantee it!! Lots of luck with whatever you decide.
Laura

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 8 months ago, I put my Stealth TwinTurbo up for sale and began hunting for my next 'real' sportscar. I had narrowed the purchase down to an NSX or a Viper. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but it did not take long for me to decide that the Viper was the car for me. A couple of points that I took into consideration:

&gt; The NSX is probably more livable on a daily basis (I drive my 94 RT10 to work as much as possible though and love it). For instance, it will prob. be more comfortable and will do better in more harsh climates like cold and rain (that is why I have a ***** old truck).

&gt; The Viper is soooo powerful (and everyone knows it!).

&gt; The looks of the Viper are amazing - the NSX is definitely dated and will not garner near the amount of gazes, gawks, and pictures (I cannot tell you how many times I have been photographed and videotaped on the road).

Before you make your decision, at least make sure you have driven a Viper!!! Good luck.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon N is right, the NSX's talking smack at the track couldn't get anywhere near the Vipers. They're turning 2:15-2:20's sounds about right, I recall John turning a 2:02 on street tires in a stock Viper (he was right on my butt as I recall). I had dinner with the NSX group that weekend, sat next to a Bonduraunt grad, who turned 2:20's as fast laps in her NSX. I took one of the NSX crew out for parade laps and he said that was faster than he'd run in the NSX though no doubt he was exagerating considerably. Stock motored Vipers have done 1:55 laps there with first season drivers.

That said the Viper isn't for everyone. Many people prefer the more mild mannered characteristics of an Acura that are not out for top performance, it's a great car. To each his own. Drive both and decide for yourself, everyone else opinion is peripheral to your own. While I'm a GTS kind of guy the second generation of RT/10's is the car to have unless you are a racer. That open top during full acceleration is too much fun and what a glorious view.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent 2 months shopping for a NSX for my WIFE. We both loved it. Honda dependability, great handling, all the premium comforts offered in a sports car, what a great package. You will not go wrong with an NSX, it is by far one of the best values out there.

Now if you have a bit of a "crazy" side, want a much more demanding experience when you are behind the wheel, or if you simply want to own the most insane piece of machinery to come around in years, then consider a Viper. Early rt10's are much different than the current versions. But I can tell you that the rear view is just fine, and quite frankly, that is the only view you need to worry about when you drive a Viper.

Conservative sensible purchase = NSX.

Crazy, want it all, no fear and more fun than you should legally be allowed to have with your close on = Viper.

Nice problem to have!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the NSX, the less Vipers on the road means more value to us!

Ask someone for a test drive on this board in your area.I'm sure there'll be lots of volunteers to convert another NSX owner to the ranks of the Dodge Viper..

Gerald

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've had both as well. Tough decision between gen2 roadster and gen2 coupe (although I went with the coupe) ... but gen1 vs gen2:

Unless your truly into having the "original sidepiped roadster"...here's the benefits of gen2:

50 HP!
Suspension/handling advantages (Jon B?)
REAL WINDOWS!

..and if this means anything to 'ya

CD player
Polished rims (in most cases)

Do I miss the open air feeling? ....occasionally

But then, if I had the roadster, I'd probably miss the styling of the coupe!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to post again on this. I have had a '94 RT, 96 GTS (at the same time) and now have a 2000 GTS. As much as I enjoyed my sidepipe RT, for many of the things it DID NOT have, like windows, etc, in no way did it compare to my '96 GTS. The newer cars are much better. They ride and handle better, and of course have considerably more power. Maybe one day in the future (as garage space/funds allow) I'll have another sidepipe car...or maybe I'll just wait for the next generation convertible! Hear that Bill?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars are not even in the same class. With the Touring car club there is a guy who races his supercharged full race set up NSX. This car is not even street legal and he has probably spent at least 150k on the car. Mumford and I crushed him in a race. He couldn't keep up. Are cars are stock and street legal. Sure the NSX may be better driving across country, but my SUV can beat it.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Is the "night and day" difference between a gen1 RT/10 and a gen2 GTS so much that a gen2's benefits would outweigh the pleasure of an open roadster. This is, of coarse, based on a constraint that in my case I can't feasably swing a '97+ RT right now, but a '96 GTS or early RT is possible. Since you've done both and haven't switched to a gen2 RT I'd be interested in your input.

-Matt

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala