Nuke The teens !

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree. I've been into cars since I was the smallest of meatsters and always appreciated the time anybody took to talk to me about them.

Any post should stay as long as it is not ill-intended. There are a lot of adults that post stuff that I'm not too interested in but it's pretty easy (was easier at Gen I site) to blow right past to the next topic.

Also of note, Jon, is that your reply to any question posted can be read by everyone on site, many of whom have VIN numbers or whatever the criteria may be. So the info you are providing is also reaching people who may be able to apply it in a more timely fashion.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, Tenney makes a good point: I have gained lots of info reading your posts and answers (emphasis on read). However, in the month I have been a member/owner/cruiser Danny and Yamashek have been raraties joining boosted boy as ***-stirring posters. I would hate to limit access by youngsters sincerely wanting to READ!! the posts. I think we should have more strict rules for them to post (limited area, limited number) Danny says he has posted seven times but I read his profile which listed 17. I think we must maintain the high standard of posts or the owners/members who really want to learn/contribute will become concerned with all the frivolous garbage. Yes you don't have to read all the posts but invariably we do, then you turn around and many hours have gone by with little benefit.
You must be registered for see images

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Jon on this. Even as a 38 year old with the cash sitting in the bank to buy the Viper I did not post anything until I bought one.

Read Only is more than enough for those too young to even drive one, much less buy one.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 12 I was reading AutoWeek cover to cover (back when it was newspaper style racing weekly), at 15 I began restoring my first car (including an engine rebuild), at 17, finished with that project, I began my second restoration project......

Not very many of the younger readers of this site post. Yes, occasionally we have a problem younger posters and when we do, we work to teach the younger readers what they did wrong. I think I've mentioned this before, when we are 60 and looking to cash in by selling for big $$$'s the Viper we've owned 30 years.... guess who is gong to want to buy them

It would seem counter productive to punish an individual because they made us aware of their age, verses demonstrating it. Although I have no children of my own, I have had great success in treating "younger folk" like adults. Treat a person (young or old) respectfully and they are likely to reciprocate. Spelling is another matter though

We really do not have a way to know a users age..... until they demonstrate it. So the question is really one of having a closed or open forum. Open seems to be working pretty well so far. Always pondering, always listening, always learning, ...... and way to busy!

My personal goal? ... To turn auto enthusiasts into Viper enthusiasts, Viper enthusiasts into Viper owners, and Viper owners into VCA Members........ with luck, skipping the middle steps

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Children who act like children should be nuked, and that goes for adults also.

But children coming to visit for school projects or just to get a small glimpse of inspiration should not be turned away. They already have it much harder than we did.

I think many of us got inspired by many of the car magazines when we were young. It was always a great motivational tool for me personally. Are we so superior now that we do not owe some time to future enthusiasts? I hope not

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I think have a grip on the situation here:

1) JonB, and I assume others like him, would rather spend their time helping current Viper owners and not kids who may someday buy one.

2) Jay, Steve, et all would like to keep this board open to everyone.

3) A significant number of kids would like to able to post here.

I do not see any problem with satisfying everyone here. In fact we already have a mechanism to help us out. I suggest that we put people into one of several categories. We already have several including "Pace Car Pilot", "Moderating Snake", "Administrating Snake", etc. I suggest we place everyone who does not already have one of these lofty title into one of:

VCA Member - Why not give those who paid a little recognition?
Snake Owner - Require a VIN just like VCA membership.
Potential Owner - Must be over 18.
Just Dreaming - Anyone under 18.

This lets the kids post while allowing JonB to decide who he wants to respond to. What do you all think?

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds workable to me although VCA members with a VIN fit two catagories. Not sure that really matters, if they are dues paying members they should be able to post. Maybe the VIN catagory should be for non-member owners. .02

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOOPS, I don't really mean we should limit who is posting (ie my second sentence in the post above) . I guess my fingers were working faster than my brain. I do think knowing who is posting is a good idea. Sorry again. I'll self administer 10 lashes.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like BWoodbury's idea... I also think that we should differentiate between people who paid for their VCA membership and those who are on the "trial membership" that they get free with a new Viper.

I say that NOT because people who renew their membership are somehow "better" but because I bet a lot of people who get the year-free choose NOT to renew their VCA membership and it would be a real pain for Tony to administrate that. I bet people who pay to be VCA members probably do so for the life of their Viper.

I think the "VCA Member" would assume Viper ownership, and I think we only have a very VERY few VCA members who don't own Vipers.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

It's been a bit more than a day or 2 now.
Still planing on making this change? Anything I can do to help?