Nurburgring Nordshleife trip

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
On our most recent visit to Europe, we stopped by the Nordshleife, and took a ride in the Aston Martin Ring Taxi, driven by Andreas Gulden, former driver for the now-defunct Zakspeed Viper GTS's. I could have driven the North Loop in the rental car, but it was a big dorfy sedan, hardly appropriate to mix it up with all the sports cars, or so I thought. I bought a sticker for the GTS back home, a jacket, shirts, etc.

Sabine set out ahead of us in the BMW M5, with 500hp + and a passenger or two, while Andreas and I were coming up from behind in the 370hp (but lightweight) Aston Martin. Coming through some fast switch backs, we spied "Ring Queen" Sabine up ahead, and got a run on her, passing her in a short straight, then dissapearing through another series of turns, making the pass stick. Adreas is a hot shoe, and passing Sabine made his day. She is no slouch, faster than many men. She is also a fun person, and smiles and jokes in real life, just like you've seen her on Top Gear. Nice rack, too! (Yep, I said it) :headbang: On her BMW, I mean, of course. Why, what were you thinking? :)

Here's Andreas and me after the fantastic ride around the North Loop. I have no idea what our time was,
but we passed a lot of cars, like they were traffic cones.
cancun_germany_793.JPG

There's a tradition that you sign the Aston after your ride. When that sticker fills up, they'll probably can it!
cancun_germany_791.JPG

Sabine Schmit, "Ring Queen", with over 10,000 laps. She was born in Nurburg, been going around that track since she was 3 years old. She's the official (one of) driver for BMW's promotional program, Ring Taxi. She's very quick, and very cheerful, friendly.
cancun_germany_774.JPG

My wifey Lina and the Autobahn cruiser. They dont sell the 350 in the US, but I dont know why. I didnt think it was underpowered? I only got up to about 135mph on the Autobahn, partly because we didnt go on the very straight portions, and partly, (ok, mostly) because my wife is terrified of speed. I've gone faster than that on US hwys, like 170mph. Damm, did I just say that out loud? Anyway, the Autobahn is a pleasure, one of life's last sweet unspoiled treats. Oddly enough, I came accross many German drivers who werent following lane rules, (left lane for passing only), even saw one driver with his car fully in the emergency lane, as if it was a legal lane for driving. I thought only us Yanks pulled stunts like that! :)
cancun_germany_764.JPG

Here the lonely Zakspeed Vipers sit, like discarded toys, looking sad and forlorn. Zakspeed isnt allowed to run their cars at the Nordshleife anymore, according to Nuburgring DE, the track managers. Financial issues, they said. They sit in the historical Zakspeed garage area, now owned by Nurburgring DE Adventure. Dont send Zakspeed money for a ride, they didnt honor my appointment. I finally got my money back, with the kind help of a VCA Germany member. Supossedly, Zakspeed is still a viable racing team, running in DTM or something.
cancun_germany_721.JPG

A little momento of the occasion for the GTS! About 9.25" long.
nring_sticker.jpg

Last edited:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad you had a fun time Vic, i was lucky enough to have a ride in the Zacspeed with Andreas on my last trip, he told me he'd completed over 2500 laps and that was back in '08

like your jacket, being shopping at the petrol station have you, as i have a matching jacket ;) hope you also got the big track poster for your garage

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>with the kind help of a VCA Germany member.<<<
In fact a IL VCA member since 2009! :D

Good story,Vic :2tu:

Next time you have to enjoy Bavaria also and come and visit!

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
glad you had a fun time Vic, i was lucky enough to have a ride in the Zacspeed with Andreas on my last trip, he told me he'd completed over 2500 laps and that was back in '08

like your jacket, being shopping at the petrol station have you, as i have a matching jacket ;) hope you also got the big track poster for your garage

That turned out to be a great jacket! Uber-cool..

Didnt get that wall poster, damm! Maybe their website has it.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
>>>with the kind help of a VCA Germany member.<<<
In fact a IL VCA member since 2009! :D

Good story,Vic :2tu:

Next time you have to enjoy Bavaria also and come and visit!

Marcus, thanks again for your efforts at contacting Zakspeed, as that made all the difference in getting the refund. That enabled me to look back on the trip without the slightest regret.

We'd love to go back to majestic Bavaria someday. As it is, we are trying to see different places, so it might be a while. Thank you for the offer! :beer:

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool pics.

Glad to see that Sabine is a nice person. I was dying when she passed a sport bike in a cargo van on Top Gear.

Nick

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Very cool pics.

Glad to see that Sabine is a nice person. I was dying when she passed a sport bike in a cargo van on Top Gear.

Nick
Thanks, Nick.

She's genuinely funny, happy. But very competitive!
Maybe when the 2010 ACR makes its' way back to the Ring, they should let her have a go at it. If BMW dont mind!

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember driving my GTS around the ring and thinking I was Dale Jr. I was just approaching the 16km marker on the track and thought I was really pushing it when Andreas came flying-by with the Zakspeed Viper GTS like I was standing still... :drive::dunno::2tu:

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When we went out, he would approach slower cars very rapidly, often passing them with very little margin. He had the ability to gather it back up when they would cut his line, so I guess he wasnt completely at the edge of traction. But pretty damm close to it. All I could do was keep my arms folded in my lap, and keep quiet. I just gave him a thumbs-up when we passed Sabine. This gave him confidence, and he really settled down into concentrating on a good run. It was WAY beyond anything I have ever felt before.

I remember driving my GTS around the ring and thinking I was Dale Jr. I was just approaching the 16km marker on the track and thought I was really pushing it when Andreas came flying-by with the Zakspeed Viper GTS like I was standing still... :drive::dunno::2tu:

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic, make sure you tell them that you learned from the best, the legend....PMUM :headbang:

As I was reading that sentence, I thought you were going to mention yourself! :)
Wouldnt it be glorious if PMUM could take the 2010 ACR around the Ring? Sadly, it was not to be...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I was reading that sentence, I thought you were going to mention yourself! :)
Wouldnt it be glorious if PMUM could take the 2010 ACR around the Ring? Sadly, it was not to be...
No....I personally saw you turn your most extraordinary lap time at WSIR, with PMUM as your co-pilot many years ago :2tu:

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I did 1:38 w/PMUM. He only ran with me for like 6 laps, but I learned a lot. At that point, I only had about 2 or 3 hours total track experience. I did 1:36 by myself after that. Haven't been back for a while. Too rich for my blood.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Vic,
It was great seeing and visiting with you this morning.
You need to come out and play with us at one of our track events. I think you'll enjoy it. Our group is pretty tame compared to what you used to run with, but we have a lot of FUN.

See you soon,
Lance

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Vic,
It was great seeing and visiting with you this morning.
You need to come out and play with us at one of our track events. I think you'll enjoy it. Our group is pretty tame compared to what you used to run with, but we have a lot of FUN.

See you soon,
Lance
Likewise! Most fun I've had on a Saturday morning in quite a while. Good to be with other Viper owners, makes you appreciate your car more.
Our group is pretty tame compared to what you used to run with, but we have a lot of FUN.
Ok, I'll bring my Big Wheel! A-huhr huhr! :rolaugh: :spin::)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang