NYC Visit

STL RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey...St. Louis member heading to NYC in November. 1st time. Any points of interest I should be sure to hit? Staying in Times Square. Thanks!

Matt

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you could go to the top of the Empire State Building because it is a famous tourist attraction and everybody is supposed to do it when they visit Manhattan, but I prefer the observation deck on top of the Rockefeller Center (TopOfTheRockNYC.com). It is a great place to look down over Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Jersey. The reason I like it better than the Empire State Building is that it is much closer to Central Park. I think seeing the park from up high is cool.

The New York Public Library on 42nd street has some fantastic architecture, especially the main reading room. Don't miss it.

There are many dozens of museums in Manhattan (I would guess 80 to 100) covering every interest you might have. Just Google "manhattan museums" and see what they have.

I can kill a day just walking around Central Park. It's especially beautiful now that the trees are changing colors.

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Statue Of Liberty and The Intrepid Museum., just visited both last week!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Statue Of Liberty and The Intrepid Museum., just visited both last week!

+1, and be sure to do the entire Statue Of Liberty Museum which includes Ellis Island as you may find names of family ancestors in the books at the end of the main hall. You really do need one full day for each because there is SO much to see... including "made in China" marks on replica Liberty statues :confused::mad:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
search this out here. there were a few threads on it. city posted a few places in one of the threads i believe.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I prefer the observation deck on top of the Rockefeller Center (TopOfTheRockNYC.com). It is a great place to look down over Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Jersey.

I agree, good choice especially from midtown where you'll be staying.

oh... and Blue Note Jazz Club New York

And keep an eye on our NY/CT events schedule to see if there's anything going on... the trains out of the city are easy to deal with.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STL, this is a BIG place with a ridiculous amount of things to experience. It would be helpful if you expressed some of your specific interests. You didn't say how long you're planning to be here, but you could easily keep entertained for 48 hours straight just hanging within a single block of your Times Square hotel.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 places you will definitly want to eat at:

Carmines - Family Style Itilian

Virgil's - Texas BBQ

Both places are Killer !!!!

And Jeckyll & Hyde!! The animated stuff on the wall is hilarious, especially when the gargoyle tells you to be the referree in a deathmatch between two women and 1 man :rolaugh:

OP
OP
S

STL RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm in Wednesday through Sunday. Wife and I with another couple. No kids. I enjoy the typical sightseeing, historical sites, etc. Plan to catch a Letterman taping. Any way around the response that the crown visits to the Statue of Liberty are completely booked up while I'm there? Thought I might be able to get on a standby list, but evidently there are background checks required in advance, so I doubt that will work. Thanks again...just trying to make the most of my time there!

Matt

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Italian try Il Mulino or La Scalinatella
For steaks: Peter Luger's can't be beat in brooklyn but if you want to stay in Manhattan the Striphouse is great.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few items:
  1. Make sure you spend some time (walking) in SoHo
  2. Same for Chinatown (stop to eat at Hop Kee downstairs at the corner of Mott and Mosco).
  3. The Wollman Rink (Ice Skating) will be open in Central Park. They're open in the evening which adds a beautiful view.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire