O2 sensors going out

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have had Belanger headers and exhaust since my snake was new, and i had them on my 2003. Never had any check engine light on the 03. about 6-8 weeks ago, I got a check engine light on my 06. Took it in and they replaced the O2 sensor (1 was bad). At the same time, Lou Belanger provided a heat shield for the sensor wires for both sides [this is now standard with all Belanger systems, but I got mine before it was available] and these were installed.

Now, 6 weeks later, i get another check engine light. Viper tech says that both O2 sensors are now bad (including the brand new one) and are being replaced again.

Has anyone else had issues with O2 sensors? It doesn't seem like this should be related to headers and exhaust since it has taken so long. I have a single hi-flow cat with this system, same as I had on my 03. I put 12000 miles on the 03 with this set up and never had an issue.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one go bad last year and the replacement (OEM) is now having a similar issue (takes 2-3 minutes to warm up and start giving a good reading). I have watched it on a DRB and once it heats up fully it startes responding.

OP
OP
D

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is my imagination, but the 2 times they have gone out, I had already been driving a while, and both times extremely hot days here (110+).

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this exact problem, along with many others. In talking with Lou Belanger, he blamed my car, saying that he's sold many of these systems with no problem. A year or two later, it's a common complaint now that more of his exhausts are actually out there on this car.

I've done the sensor ******, played with insulating better, replaced o2's, etc... No avail. I also track my car, so it get hotter than a street car. But even on street driving it would happen to me at times.

O2 sims, ordered from Parts Rack. Solves the problem. Give Jon B a call.

I actually LOVE the sound and performance. Everyone's always asking what setup I have. Yes it's lound, but I love it. The throatiest sound I've heard on an SRT, moreso than the corsa. And at power, there's nothing I've heard better. But it was just a headache getting there. Also, they used some cheap cats for a while (Carsound or something like that). They held up a LOT of heat because they seemed pretty restrictive. Put in some random cats and WOW, what a difference.

In the end I'm happy, thanks to my own labor and the help of Parts Rack and Roanoke Motors. Although I was respectiful in dealing with Lou, he was terribly unsupportive when I notified him of this, and very arrogant right off the bat. I was shocked. And after talking with a couple folks, I found they had similar experiences with him.

At least it's working and I'm very happy. Downstream o2 sims. They're cheap, won't effect the car, and solves the problem permanently. 1 hour to install.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run Belanger headers with a Paxton setup. I went thru (2) O2 sensors in the past 5 months (3000 miles). Opposite sides. One was brand new and lasted only 100 miles. I noticed there is two places on the GenII Belanger headers to put a O2 sensor in. I used the hole closest to the collector figuring it would pick up more cylinders. The other hole is in one of the down tubes near the head. That sensor would only monitor one cylinder. I tore the first sensor appart and I foune it was a pinched wire (my fault). The second sensor could be a factor defective one. I did not tear this one appart yet. So in my case I do not think it was from the headers or my supercharger.

Sims are for the rear O2 sensors replacements only. There is nothing availabe for replacing the front O2 sensors. This is what Jon B told me. I have two which I don't entend to use.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bolt: How did you make out with your gasket leak issue? What did you end up doing to resolve your leak by the Y collector? If I recall correctly, I believe you fabricated your own gaskets? I ask this because now after 1000 miles I have leak in the same spot. Nice build pics BTW. I also noticed you have flex conectors before the cats and was curious as to why?

Thanks
- Tony

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bolt: How did you make out with your gasket leak issue? What did you end up doing to resolve your leak by the Y collector? If I recall correctly, I believe you fabricated your own gaskets? I ask this because now after 1000 miles I have leak in the same spot. Nice build pics BTW. I also noticed you have flex conectors before the cats and was curious as to why?

Thanks
- Tony

Not to hijack this post but my home made gaskets did not work. I found some steel ones with a boss on them which work great. I'm having a hard time identifing these steel gaskets to share this information with others. This is the ticket.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have had Belanger headers and exhaust since my snake was new, and i had them on my 2003. Never had any check engine light on the 03. about 6-8 weeks ago, I got a check engine light on my 06. Took it in and they replaced the O2 sensor (1 was bad). At the same time, Lou Belanger provided a heat shield for the sensor wires for both sides [this is now standard with all Belanger systems, but I got mine before it was available] and these were installed.

Now, 6 weeks later, i get another check engine light. Viper tech says that both O2 sensors are now bad (including the brand new one) and are being replaced again.

Has anyone else had issues with O2 sensors? It doesn't seem like this should be related to headers and exhaust since it has taken so long. I have a single hi-flow cat with this system, same as I had on my 03. I put 12000 miles on the 03 with this set up and never had an issue.

No disrespect to Lou and the Belanger guys but the position of the secondary 02 sensor is a bad design. Placed right under the heat shield there is nothing you can do from melting the 02 wiring. I love the belanger sound and peformace improvement, although modest, but they really need to reposition the secondary sensors.

I concur buy the 02 simms and this will solve the problem. Make sure you change the fuse as well since its probably blown.

Patrick

OP
OP
D

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disrespect to Lou and the Belanger guys but the position of the secondary 02 sensor is a bad design. Placed right under the heat shield there is nothing you can do from melting the 02 wiring. I love the belanger sound and peformace improvement, although modest, but they really need to reposition the secondary sensors.

I concur buy the 02 simms and this will solve the problem. Make sure you change the fuse as well since its probably blown.

Patrick

Not to be ignorant, but can one of you explain what O2 sensor Simms are, where they are placed, how to install them, and what do they actually do?

Would I install them now, or wait until my O2 sensors go out again (if they do)? Again, not sure why I have this problem now, when it never happened on my 03 with Belanger...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had this exact problem, along with many others. In talking with Lou Belanger, he blamed my car, saying that he's sold many of these systems with no problem. A year or two later, it's a common complaint now that more of his exhausts are actually out there on this car.

No disrespect to Lou at Belanger but it is getting ridiculous when an aftermarket manufacture uses the above excuse when there is an obvious problem with their product. I believe there is a placement issue in where the O2 sensor is located. The above excuse has also been used by others including RT Cats which have had problems with the front hanger mounts ripping off and tearing a hole in the front pipe. Manufactures should be stand up people, do the right thing, and do whatever is necessary to correct obvious defects in their product.
Robbie

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In our club we have had a Viper who was having the same issue with the O2 sensors.
It seems that the wires were cooked by the Belanger headers several times.
Since the installation of a new heat shield the problem seems to be gone.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have a set of newer Belanger headers on my 06 and they were trouble free for the first 2000 or so miles. These came with the insulator "sleeve".

Just a couple of days ago I got a check engine light. The code was PO 161 - Bank 2, 02 Sensor heater circuit malfunction. I cleared the code and it hasn't returned yet, but there seems to be more than a few of us with Belanger headers and 02 sensor issues.

I'll take a closer look the O2 sensor this weekend and see if any wires are dangling or ? I have a couple of 02 sims, so if this is the fix, I'll pop them in.

Dan

OP
OP
D

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of newer Belanger headers on my 06 and they were trouble free for the first 2000 or so miles. These came with the insulator "sleeve".

Just a couple of days ago I got a check engine light. The code was PO 161 - Bank 2, 02 Sensor heater circuit malfunction. I cleared the code and it hasn't returned yet, but there seems to be more than a few of us with Belanger headers and 02 sensor issues.

I'll take a closer look the O2 sensor this weekend and see if any wires are dangling or ? I have a couple of 02 sims, so if this is the fix, I'll pop them in.

Dan

How did you clear the codes yourself? I am very interested to know what you find out, so please post again with an update.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just replaced my right front O2 sensor Saturday. Runs good again. This time I bought the aftermarket universal sensor ($60). We'll see how it lasts. Never failed the left sensor so I wonder ...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Dawg2Snake,

You can pick up a code reader at Pep Boys here in so Cal and likely some auto parts stores in AZ. These little devices can read the code, give a description of the problem and will allow you to clear the code.

I'm not sure why having that check engine light on bothers me so much, but it does. The 02 Sensor that threw the code was bank 2 or the passenger side and sensor 2, the one after the cat.

Hopefully it won't come back, but not likely. Dan at DC says it's likely a faulty 02 sensor. I think he changes a bunch of these.

Funny thing is that I have the AEM wide band sensors in my SRT-10 with the Paxton on it. This car makes gobs of power and throws tons of fuel / exhaust and heat past the AEM O2 sensors and has for over 15,000 miles with no issues.

My SRTC has only 5,000 miles on it (code thrower). So, I wonder why the stock units seem to fail so frequently in the Belanger set up?

Dan

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there seems to be more than a few of us with Belanger headers and 02 sensor issues.

Dan

I moved my sensors from the collector to the one down pipe closer to the engine. The car runs great. Let's see how long these sensors last. Something tells me I should order an extra one just in case.

Oh, yea, my engine is running 10 degrees hotter now. This could be cause it may be running richer.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the problem for quite awhile, clearing works for a short time but then comes back. So far there seem to be no ill effects. As long as it's a downstream problem the computer should do its job.