OBD Drive Cycle

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you mean just the time on the wheel, it's pretty straightforward. They load up the dyno, run you at around 1500 RPM for 30 seconds, then run you at around 3500 RPM for another 30 seconds. The key to passing is go in there with your cats hotter than heck. Put the best possible gas in the car, run the car on the highway between second and third gear at around 50-70 mph for at least ten minutes to burn out any residue in the cats and on the sensors, and drive straight onto the dyno. If the casts are hot enough, they'll burn anything off that might otherwise fail you.

If you left your car sitting for too long with a dead battery, you'll fail just because of that. What you have to do is drive for about 40 miles at a constant 50 mph to allow the PCM to re-learn what it is supposed to re-learn.

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dave is right. What I'm being told is that my new PCM (replaced to correct check engine lights after putting on aftermarket headers and exhaust) is not ready with respect to the O2 heaters. I've driven it several times since the OBD test but it's still showing as not ready. Just trying to figure out what more I need to do to try and get this to pass the OBD test.

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. My research and conversations all seem to say the same thing...who the hell knows!!! lol I've put more miles on my car in the last several days and still the O2 heater and catalyst are reading as not ready. Not sure what I can do but continue to drive and hope they'll reset soon.

Earl

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Took my 03 SRT to the Schaumburg, Illinois emissions testing facility. After shutting off the engine for the test to begin, it would not restart. After receiving a push start from the friendly folks at the facility, I got a new battery installed at a local auto parts store. They hooked up a charging unit to my cigarette lighter to maintain the computers memory while they installed the new battery. This procedure did not work as I returned to the emissions testing facility and did not pass the test due to the PCM not resetting. Kind of frustrating.

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's very frustrating. I have no issue with emissions testing but can't understand how a part can be designed with such a complex formula for functioning as it's supposed to! Just beyond me how it can take so long and be so beyond one's control to get it to do what it's supposed to do. I have to say I'm glad to know that it's not just me and my car though I feel bad for anyone else having to deal with it.