OEM Exhaust vs. Belangers w/ sound clip

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Belangers w/ high flow cats installed and am VERY HAPPY with the outcome. The sound now is raspier, a little louder and crispier without any drone whatsoever. I heard the full Belanger system and the Belanger headers, HFC with Corsa exhaust but they both sounded a little too agressive to me so I chose to retain the factory mufflers and not only this is the most economical way to go, it also gives me the sound, the power that I'm after w/o the headache.

Here's a short video of the factory OEM system:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bDHTv4ITI[/media]

Here's the Belanger headers, HFC, OEM mufflers:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nK6bYVotU[/media]

BTW, this tunnel is only a few blocks from my house and this is where I go for exhaust testing. :rolaugh: Hopefully none of my neighbors are reading this post.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in CA, how do you get past the smog issues with the headers? I really want to put a set on my new ACR, but I hate the idea of the smog Nazis forcing me to remove it all just to pass the test. If you have any info on whether the new Belanger headers are smog legal, let me know!

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know just the headers make a that big of difference.
I'm thinking full Belanger exhaust system on my 09 vert and I wish
I can hear and feel the system before I pull the trigger.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Belangers w/ high flow cats installed and am VERY HAPPY with the outcome. The sound now is raspier, a little louder and crispier without any drone whatsoever. I heard the full Belanger system and the Belanger headers, HFC with Corsa exhaust but they both sounded a little too agressive to me so I chose to retain the factory mufflers and not only this is the most economical way to go, it also gives me the sound, the power that I'm after w/o the headache.

Here's a short video of the factory OEM system:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bDHTv4ITI[/media]

Here's the Belanger headers, HFC, OEM mufflers:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nK6bYVotU[/media]

BTW, this tunnel is only a few blocks from my house and this is where I go for exhaust testing. :rolaugh: Hopefully none of my neighbors are reading this post.

Dude...we need to here longer clips!!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know just the headers make a that big of difference.
I'm thinking full Belanger exhaust system on my 09 vert and I wish
I can hear and feel the system before I pull the trigger.

hesitating to install the full belanger system on a generation 4 could be the single biggest mistake of your life

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR BRUCE: Did you install the Mopar PCM?? does it cut out the burbles when de-throttling??

I too am going with the Belangers and HFs with the stock muffler.... I am adding the woodhouse engine and transmission mounts while they're at it...Did you use the "crush" Mopar header gaskets or the ones provided by Belanger??? I was advised to use the "crush gaskets"....

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hesitating to install the full belanger system on a generation 4 could be the single biggest mistake of your life
If you have a full belanger system (headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust) on your vert,
is drone noise bearable with the top down?

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what is the hp difference between the full belanger system compared to headers, hfc, and leaving just the stock catback?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a full belanger system (headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust) on your vert,
is drone noise bearable with the top down?
..yes i do

With this system there is no drone with the top down and virtually none with the top up...Seriously there is no drone just a great sound especially at WOT....On my generation 3 i had a corsa with hf cats and after an hour trip my head was spinning and my ears ringing from the drone....The belanger setup has no vibrating ear drum drone , just a sweet sound even cruising on long trips

However , as always exhaust note/drone is subjective and some say there is drone...Maybe the woodhouse install is better..lol

Here is a recent thread with imput from members and plenty of vendors/installers

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/624183-downside-headers-08-coupe.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in CA, how do you get past the smog issues with the headers? I really want to put a set on my new ACR, but I hate the idea of the smog Nazis forcing me to remove it all just to pass the test. If you have any info on whether the new Belanger headers are smog legal, let me know!
System may pass the sniffer test but not the visual. So I'll need to bring some hot looking Import model to distract the smog guy when it is time to do smog 5 1/2 yrs. from now.

How much did it cost you - material and install?
Please check w/ Jon B at Partsrack and labor s/b way less than a grand.

ACR BRUCE: Did you install the Mopar PCM?? does it cut out the burbles when de-throttling??
I too am going with the Belangers and HFs with the stock muffler.... I am adding the woodhouse engine and transmission mounts while they're at it...Did you use the "crush" Mopar header gaskets or the ones provided by Belanger??? I was advised to use the "crush gaskets"....

I had Mopar ECU installed a few weeks prior to the header install and the ECU took out the burbles, probably due to a leaner running engine.
DC Performance used a pari of OEM gaskets (not sure if they are from Mopar though) and since I have absolute trust in Dan at DC's decision, that is maybe the way to go especially considering the cost of only $9. Edit: It is more like $90, not $9.
I also had the trans mount bushings done but double check to see if installing both the trans and engine mount would restrict the driveline's movement too much before taking the plunge. Search this forum for more info.

what is the hp difference between the full belanger system compared to headers, hfc, and leaving just the stock catback?
Search the DC Performance Dyno Day thread for HP figures but I'm down only a few HP, especially considering I have the 3:55 gears while the other two Gen IV's didn't. And 3:55 gear is suppose to make the dyno show 2% less power. So my adjusted power should be around 550. I did have a 50-50 mix of 91 and 100 octance gas in the tank but I believe the other two cars also had a mix of 100 octance also.

Last edited:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right, I forgot. I had Kooks headers/hi-flo cats with my 05 system. A little bit of drone but not objectionable. Removed the crossovers and the drone was unbearable, not just to me. I don't believe headers by themselves cause drone; I blamed it on the hi-flo cats but this post tells me otherwise. I'm trying to figure out the problem and how to solve it; it's already an expensive problem because I removed the Kooks/cats and put back the stocker except crossovers. I was going after the heat issue. This post is puzzling because basically there's little difference between headers/hi-flo cats. I would like to be able to put the Kooks back on without the drone. As it is now, I have a little bit of drone running without the crossovers - again, not objectionable. I was always using the factory mufflers. So ACRBruce, you don't hear any drone at the 1400-1700 rpm cruising range?

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... So ACRBruce, you don't hear any drone at the 1400-1700 rpm cruising range?

No drone whatsoever and I'm can't stand low frequency vibrations that get to my ear drums and chest. Went through 3 exhausts on Lotus and 3 on EVO to find the right sound recently. And even had to retune the custom tune to rid of drone on another car. However, w/ the ACR, I'm very happy w/ the setup and did I day there's no drone whatsoever?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235