Offset spacer for stock rims??????

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard of anyone putting an offset spacer for mounting the stock rims. I want to get the appearance of the after market rims but do it with the stock ones I have, because I like them just as much as any other. It looks as if you could make a spacer plate to the bolt pattern and then just put bigger stud bolts in, to accommodate for the thickness of the plate. I'm not talking anything crazy, just getting the rims flush or a little outside of the wheel wells. Can this be done? and are there parts already out there to do this? Any comments?

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that. John Purner cut me a .5" spacer out of billet to fit the set of his wheels I use at the track. He did a great job. The reason was I tried moving my front stockcalipers to the rear. Unknown/undisclosed to me was the fact that there is not enough clearance for those calipers when using a 17 " rear wheel. Consequently, I had to go with longer studs, but the knurl size of the 97 Viper studs was a size that I could not duplicate (and I looked a lot of places). Finally, I had to use something like 3" studs, which were too long and which had to be ground off a half inch or so to get the stock center caps on. Moreover,we had to hog out the hubs a bit to accept the off-size studs and last summer they wanted to back out when we were putting the rear wheels on and trying to torque up the lugs.

All in all it was a supreme hassle (though they are still on my rears). Moreover, many stud makers warn against using spacers. Mine were so well done and customized to my application, that I didn't worry about it. I would advise, however, that you do something else to make your car look unique (and probably ricey anyway).

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Archer Racing (site sponsor look for there banner) located in Duluth. They have them for sale at the Viper Days events. They can give you all the details you need if any.

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to clear a 15inch rotor and a Brembo 8piston caliper with a 3/8 spacer in my front 19inch HRE wheels. We machined the spacer to fit tight in the center to the hub (like the wheels would normally). Then we bolted the spacers to the back side of the wheel, to make the wheel and spacer as one load. That is how the Fiske Wheels do some of there applications. I also did the front to back caliper conversion with ARP studs and have not had any problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang