Oil and tans fluid

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question I pose to you all ... A car guy was telling me that a couple hunderd miles before your oil change put in a qt of trans fluid in with your oil to clean up the engine and quiet any lifter tapping there might be. Is this True? wont it hurt the engine? He said its a great detergent.I would never try it unless experts say its ok.:dunno:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id never try it unless TOM approves it.

why consider it unless you are having issues ?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the day, (the 60's) it was pretty common as the the oil wasn't as good, lifter design wasn't as it is now and things sludged up alot.

Steve A.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to hear Tom's word on this, bt as long as the car has been running Synth. oil, there really should not be any sludge and as such, no need to put a quart of trans fluid in. I used to do this on my old Buick, but can't see doing it on the Viper. I don't think it would do any damage(1 quart out of 10), but just no need to do it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my engine at 48K had no sludge at all. oil changed every 3k miles and always used 10/30 mobil one

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not do this. An ATF is about like an SAE 20 and maybe people thought it would help loosen or thin the heavy sludge; I really can't think of a good reason. ATF is simply a very good hydraulic oil and does not have any protection against the things that cause sludge, like blowby, the acids that form with water, and water itself.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Tom, remember the "shade-tree" bunch's solution to"carbon deposits"?? I believe that they drained all of the oil from the engine, filled it with kerosene, then ran the engine at 3000 rpm til it started to warm up, intermittently letting it idle a few seconds (FREQUENTLY)...shutting it down when it "started to bind up" as judged by dying instead of idling !!!

Had a friend try this on a 3 series Bimmer...the subsequent build was extensive...in spite of all of his pre-procedure assurances !!! :(

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, remember the "shade-tree" bunch's solution to"carbon deposits"?? I believe that they drained all of the oil from the engine, filled it with kerosene, then ran the engine at 3000 rpm til it started to warm up, intermittently letting it idle a few seconds (FREQUENTLY)...shutting it down when it "started to bind up" as judged by dying instead of idling !!!

Had a friend try this on a 3 series Bimmer...the subsequent build was extensive...in spite of all of his pre-procedure assurances !!! :(

That sounds similar to this guy: http://forums.viperclub.org/sneaky-petes-place/622455-can-anyone-dumb.html

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not do this. An ATF is about like an SAE 20 and maybe people thought it would help loosen or thin the heavy sludge; I really can't think of a good reason. ATF is simply a very good hydraulic oil and does not have any protection against the things that cause sludge, like blowby, the acids that form with water, and water itself.

Thanks for the info. It did not sound like a good idea to me but wanted to run it by some pros. I will print the post and show it to the car guy.

V

Venomiss

My question I pose to you all ... A car guy was telling me that a couple hunderd miles before your oil change put in a qt of trans fluid in with your oil to clean up the engine and quiet any lifter tapping there might be. Is this True? wont it hurt the engine? He said its a great detergent.I would never try it unless experts say its ok.:dunno:

This would be a good question to ask the SRT engineers tomorrow night to see what they say too.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid idea.
wonder if he pours water into the engine while draining the oil to clean it . . .

Nick

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
stupid idea.
wonder if he pours water into the engine while draining the oil to clean it . . .

Nick

:lmao: Maybe you can hook up a compressor to the dipstick tube. Crank that bad boy up to 125 psi and blow all the old oil out. But I do love the water idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang