Oil catch tank

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
google " JLT oil catch can " and or lethal performance ...

if you go this route I can help you further with how you hook it up...just let me know..

ps I track my car and this has worked excellent Ds

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes. I love it but its overkill for a relatively stock setup. Boost, I think this is absolutely a must. The price is up there but the quality design is worth it in my opinion. I firmly believe that any catch can system should not only catch the valve covers but also the CCV orifice that tees into the intake. For me, this is where the oil was coming from and I have a seperate write up for this in the DIY. http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/641305-My-GenII-CCV-Air-Oil-Seperator A couple to tee fittings and some braided hose and one can modify my CCV solution to catch everything. IMO, BigBrakeDave and AC Performance got it right by also catching the CCV.

joemcmillen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fabricated my own. Put AN-10 fittings on valve covers, ran braided hose to twin catch cans that are mounted just behind the radiator, off the frame rail. Ran draft tubes from catch can vent to ground. Works excellent. Fabricated frame mounting brackets to catch cans. Used Summit and bought the 1 pint Stef's (pn#STF-5115). The Stef's cans are the perfect size and fit well. Others are too large to fit in the place I put mine.

Only possible downside is elbows on valve covers will loosen over time and require re-fitting. Used the nylon sealing disc that came with the AN bulkhead fitting and they will wear and become loose. Will consider the better system for the V/C

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds a neat job! Out of interest, what diameter of breather pipe are you using from valve covers? Trying to sort that out now...

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without getting into which catch tank is the best - oh what the hell, I have the same one as ViperTony - I checked mine today and drained just over 1/2 pint of oil. :omg:
I wasn't really expecting quite that much but I guess after a season of spirited driving - two trackdays and a weekend at Nurburgring - that's what I should expect in the future.
Ade.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On any high compression or blower engine I like to use -12AN breather line fittings on both valve covers, these have a 0.609" (15mm) ID size, and the 2 add upto a -16AN size for your small filter breather on the can top. Any less and you will really put a strain on the rear main seal for starters with high crankcase pressures (I know from experience years ago! but that was with no PCV vent either).

Hamish did I hear right you were using a temp coke can and had spillage? I'd have thought you'd have at least used a Scrumpy, Blackthorn, Strongbow or good Scottish Ale can :rolleyes:

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes ***, you heard right! Although, in my defense, it was Hugh's coke bottle. I'd obviously have used a Glenmorangie bottle! ;-)

Regarding hose sizes, the largest input nozzles on any catch can that I can find online fit max 15mm hoses. Hopefully that's big enough.

Also need that valve cover baffle design... :confused:

joemcmillen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Scot - 10-AN about 5/8", plenty of cross sectional area. I am checking into Viper Tony's claim on the CCV system (he's probably right)