Oil Filters and Spark Plugs...

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious what oil filters everyone is using for their Vipers? I used a MObil 1 oil filter but cannot get them anywhere - and I mean everywhere! Called about a half dozen auto stores. Tried Kmart, Walmart, etc. No luck. So I said the hell with it and went with an extraguard type Purolator that was like $6.00...Frams **** period and I won't put one of them on my garden tractor - quality control is piss poor. I was looking for a WIX but couldn't get one of those either for the Viper.

Spark plugs. I decide to stay a purist and go with factory Champions. Can't get them anywhere either. Nobody carries them period except for the Dodge dealer. Hit the dealer and buy 10. He says "that will be $27.45" and I was like "huh?" I ask how much they are and he replies $2.50. I tell him it is a disgrace to charge $2.50 for a Champion plug...I was figuring maximun $1.50 for a lowly Champion...then the wacker tells me that "those plugs are special" Special? A stock Champion plug is special? I bet a Champion for a Neon is also $2.50 each...I wonder if they are special too...lol...So what is the best plug available that people are using these days?

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auto Zone stocks all Mobil One filters, I get mine there. Kmart is hit and miss.

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Autozones near me...at all. Kmart went strictly to Fram - spoke with two automotive department guys at two different stores and that was the deal with Kmart...that is where I used to buy the filters originally... :(

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the Champion plugs at Murray's. They also carry Mobil 1 filters. Funny this should come up as I bought my "spring" oil today. 4 cases of Mobil 1 and a pair of filters. Ready for some warmer weather so I can get the cars out of the garage.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 filter @ Auto Zone. If I want the Platinum Champions I have to order then at the independent local auto parts store- around $30.00 for the 10 plugs, next day delivery.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get filters M1-204 from autobarn.com $11.99 each free shipping over $150 and no tax :laugh: The stock Viper Champions are standard plugs used on many other cars should be $1 each at any parts store.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I paid about $14.00 for 10 Champions, at my local auto parts store. Seems like a fair price.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Performance sells the Mobil One filter. It's part # P5007550. Same list price as Auto Zone. Try Chuck Tator (he offers a discount) or the Parts Rack. Buy 3 or 4 and you're set for a couple of years. I got tired of screwing around with Auto Zone -- they seem to have lots of accessories for ricers, but never have the right Mobil One filter in stock.

(On a side note, the same oil filter fits all three of my Mopars: 01 Viper, 00 300M, 94 Ram 5.9L.)

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my Champion plugs from NAPA for about $1 each. Try buying them online.

As for Mobil 1, I used to get them from my local Autozone and Pep Boys. Then, I actually tore one apart and looked at it compared to several other filters. The Mobil 1 filter did NOT impress me. Pretty crappy construction. I did a few searches on the net where people actually did lab tests on them. The results were less than stellar, to say the least.

So, I switched to the K&N oil filters. They seem to work great so far.

As for Mobil 1 oil, did anyone see that they were no longer a TRUE synthetic? Some lawsuit or another... came up on one of the other boards. I switched to Amsoil over a year ago, and couldn't be happier. A little more expensive than Mobil 1, but no one has anything but good things to say about them.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 oil is 100% synthetic with the exception of trivial amount in the additive carrier. Achilles, I think you're confusing Mobil 1 with the Castrol brand which lost a law suit regarding their claim on being "fully" synthetic.

Not that the quote below (lifted from another board) is any more valid than anyone else's without the supporting data, however I post it to show that who makes the best filter is not clear cut at this point....

"Dr. Lee Swanger performed a very thorough oil filter comparison a while back and as I recall the K&N oil filter came out on the bottom right next to Fram in terms of filtration. Lee used a fairly comprehensive test methodology. The Mobil 1 oil filter came at the top, closely rated with several others."

I will try to find that data to support this quote.

:usa:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 oil is 100% synthetic with the exception of trivial amount in the additive carrier. Achilles, I think you're confusing Mobil 1 with the Castrol brand which lost a law suit regarding their claim on being "fully" synthetic.

Not that the quote below (lifted from another board) is any more valid than anyone else's without the supporting data, however I post it to show that who makes the best filter is not clear cut at this point....

"Dr. Lee Swanger performed a very thorough oil filter comparison a while back and as I recall the K&N oil filter came out on the bottom right next to Fram in terms of filtration. Lee used a fairly comprehensive test methodology. The Mobil 1 oil filter came at the top, closely rated with several others."

I will try to find that data to support this quote.

:usa:

Very possible that I could be confusing stories... after reading a million car posts, the knowledge gets jumbled up :) However, I remember there being enough of a "stir" to warrant me switching from Mobil 1 to Amsoil. Haven't regretted it since (I've heard Royal Purple is great, but have had no personal experience). The truth is... I've never heard of a motor blowing up because someone used X brand oil. I guess we all have our paranoias to deal with :)

I'd love to see Dr. Swanger's tests. If the K&N is indeed an inferior product, I guess I'll be on another quest for an oil filter :confused: .

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a Mobil 1 consumer for years. Recently, I met an Amsoil rep that claimed that their product tested far superior to Mobil 1 (check out test results on amsoil.com). I e-mailed Mobil 1 and asked them to respond to the Amsoil claims that their product was superior. This was the response from Mobil Oil....."we have no test data on competitors product". I could not believe this lame response from Mobil Oil! I guess I will be switching to Amsoil! :usa:

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Pure One by Purolator. It is rated better than the Mobil 1, I think. (see http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/ ) Lot cheaper than Mobil 1. About $5.

Thats comforting news. That is what I went with. I never heard of anyone having a problem with a regular Purolator so I figured their premium "pure one" would be even better. Since it was Sunday I couldn't get to a dealer to see if they could get me a Mobil 1 filter. Besides, they ***** me for almost $30 for stock Champion plugs last week. From now on, I'll just go to Advanced Auto and buy the Purolator Pure One.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
use the stock mopar oil filter. unless racing, the brand of filter and oil is irrelevant (as long as you change it every 3000 miles that is).

some things are just not worth digging into. this is one of them.

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh great, I live in the Netherlands and just paid 4.25 euro (is about $ 4.50) for the Champion plug each....
Everything for the Viper is here extremely expensive...
But he there are only 30 Vipers here (and 10,000 Porsches), so that is what you pay for exclusivity.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've read, the Mobil filter is a good filter. I use Amsoil filters which are of the same or some say, better quality than the Mobil. I believe they are made by Hastings which is owned by Baldwin, one of the most respected names in the business.
Steve