Oil Problems Even Worse

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I placed the message below about my new SRT-10 haveing oil problems a few days ago and I might need some urgent help!!! My situation has changed

(Has anyone had a problem with their Viper using oil? I have a 2004 SRT-10 with only 1800 miles. At 800 miles the oil light came on and when the dealer checked it, it was 4 to 5 quarts low. They said it must not have been filled correctly at the factory. The same problem occured at 1800 miles with it being 4 quarts low on oil. There is no signs of an oil leak and the car does not smoke. WHATS GOING ON?????????? Can anyone help me)

As of today the dealer and Dodge is saying I have a defective engine. Dodge wants the dealer to remove the engine, send the engine back to Dodge, Dodge will rebuild it, send it back to the dealer and the dealer will reinstalled the rebuilt engine.

Does anyone have an opinion on allowing them to do this? Should I be asking for a replacement car since the car is so new? Will the car be good as new if I let them tear it apart and then rebuild it? What problems could I have down the road if I do let them go this route? Will the cars value be lowered becouse this has been done? Does anyone know a higher up at Dodge that I can speak with about getting a replacement car?

Anyones help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will get a more powerful engine back. Arrow Racing does the warranty work most times the engine comes back stronger. I would let them do it but stall them till winter when you may not be driving your car. It will take minimum 4 to 6 weeks

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least Dodge is willing to fix the problem! If it were a GM it would be "normal"!

moltrs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have already been thru this with my 2004 SRT 10. The reasons for the rebuild were different. I was also concerned about what the car would be like once it was returned and even considered trading it in on another new 2004. It took about 7 weeks to complete the process and I was given a Altima as a rental car for free. Since I got it back I have been very pleased with the results. It sounds better (no more squeaking idle noise etc.) and yes, it seems to be a bit faster but have not been able to test it yet (though my driving is not constant enough to be relied upon). The rebuild was at 7200 miles and I now have 9700 miles. I have used a 1/2 quart of oil so far. Let them do it and enjoy the results!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the problem with the engine? If it's in the head, I would insist they fix it there. This is the easiest car in the world to pull the head. Very simple and quick. I would hate the idea of my car being down for 7 weeks. The rebuild process is not a problem, as the co. doing this is very good at this . Even if the car has a broken ring, I would insist they fix it there. What's with having to ship the motor off to fix some simple problem. Most good mechanics could fix this very easy to work on engine with one hand tied behind there back in three days total. I would also only fix the problem and not overhaul the motor, since it's nearly a new engine.

Let us know what they told you was wrong with the car. Did you pull the plugs as someone suggested? This won't tell if it's a ring or valve seal, but it will tell you something. I think it's wrong of them to want to put you through this. They do valve jobs, and timing chains on 4 valve engines all day long at dealerships. The Cadilac dealer done the head work on my Cad Catera, right on the premises. They said they don't ever send out heads to have work on. That was a 4 valve per cyl. german built engine. It jumped time and bent most all the valves. They did the complete job in two days. Is Viper harder to work on than on of those, I think not....

I would probably want to take the car to my own mechanic and see what he could do.A valve seal is only going to take 2 days tops to fix. If they send this head to a good machine shop, it's a piece of cake to fix perfectly. You may even do a little trick work on the heads, and pay the difference, but they may not let you have this done, but it sure would be a good time to do it, as the gaskets alone on this engine are very expensive, do both heads of course.

Now if you could get a Ram SRT loaner, well go for it, tell them to take there time. That would be a great loner.

As far as how it turns out, it will be as good as new. This motor is simple to build, and simple to install. Not much can go wrong if the people doing it are good at what they do.

Skip White

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not much can go wrong if the people doing it are good at what they do.

Skip White

That's the reason I would go with arrow. Unless it is some of the Viper techs on this board,ie Chuck, most Dodge dealers have no clue!!!!!