OK - what's the real difference?

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - what\'s the real difference?

All the advice has been great. I realize that I am stepping out here to ask this question (but honestly - I've searched the archives and read all the opinions - maybe that's why I'm a little confused here). I realize that I am probably opening myself up for some real interesting responses - here's a few more questions concerning (Yes - I know!!) cat-back systems. :crazy:

What is the "real" difference in the systems such as Corsa, Borla, Mopar, etc..?

I'm seeing a lot of different prices, but nothing that really tells me - What's the difference?

I'm going to go with a bolt-on 3" cat-back system(I'm going to install it myself) - so no welding. I believe that leaves me Mopar, Corsa, and Borla. I followed the Corsa installation - no problem - I can do that.

But what's the "real" difference other than price? There seems to be a real difference in price, nothing else?

Thanks

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: OK - what\'s the real difference?

You can also do the TNT system, a DIY. They are quite proud of the unit ($), I just happened to get mine used. On the TNT there are a lot of welds at the bends verses the Borla which is mostly a mandrel bent system. I would guess the biggest difference is the price, but some do have more drone than others, don't know why for sure.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can also do the TNT system, a DIY. They are quite proud of the unit ($), I just happened to get mine used. On the TNT there are a lot of welds at the bends verses the Borla which is mostly a mandrel bent system. I would guess the biggest difference is the price, but some do have more drone than others, don't know why for sure.

See - that's really my question. It looks like the $$$ is only real difference. So why pay for the higher price cat-back?

Is it just the tips? The drone?

I don't want to go cheap and learn "the difference" later. But I don't want to spend extra "just for a name"

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Material is another factor. Most are stainless steel, but one, you did not mention, is Belanger which is made of aluminized steel (more flexibility and less discoloration).

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The real difference between the two are the mufflers. Borla has the traditional straight through "glass pack" type muffler (It has wool-like metal shavings not fiberglass) but you get the idea. The Corsa is a chambered muffler. Both seem to perform equally well and are straight through 3" mufflers. It comes down to your personal preference as they do sound different.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Vipersrule
I'm sure you'll get as many ansewer's as post's,but heres mine.The difference between the cat-back's are matairail used and fit and finish.The different matels make different sounds,also different cost,stainless vs galvenised.Last but not leset the tips are another thing to look at. I just put in a Corsa system,HI-Flow Cats,and 3:55 Gears this winter,I've had it out twice so far on good days.I love the Corsa sound,lets people know you there but not to loud in the cab tell you jump on it or down-shift.For the fit and finish Corsa did great on there's.I'm very happy with mine and insallation was easy.
OH YA about those tips,I get wood every time I look at them.IF you go Cat-back think adout Hi-Flow Cat's,I welded mine but you could run that part down to a local shop or use (clamps)not my choice.Why you have her tore down you should throw some 3:55 in it.Give JonB a call he'll set you up.

PS I spent more time thinking about the Cat-Back then I did on buying the car. :cool:

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

lots. tips, mufflers, resonators, balance tubes, materials..... are how the cat back system differ

• Borla mufflers in the side after the cats and then straight pipes to the rear. no balance tube. Stainless
  • Mopar is the Borla cat-back with different tips. Made by Borla for Mopar
  • Ballanger has more mufflers than Borla. There is one after the cat and another one near the rear. Also has a balance tube. Not stainless steel
  • Corsa also has mufflers in the side and near the rear with a balance tube. Stainless
  • B&B has side mufflers and an "X" pipe balance tube near the back. stainless
  • Snake-oyl (collectors Choice) system deletes the rear muffler with straight pipes. stainless
  • TNT and HMS have side mufflers and then straight pipes to the rear(optional "tunable" mufflers in the rear). no balance tubes. stainless
  • SuperTrapp. I've even seen supertrapp used out the rear.

go to club events and check out the range of sounds and styles and get what YOU like.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

S O U N D

The Belanger has a deeper sound. More like a muscle car, but it will be louder in the cab than any other cat back system. (but that's what I want!)

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lots. tips, mufflers, resonators, balance tubes, materials..... are how the cat back system differ

• Borla mufflers in the side after the cats and then straight pipes to the rear. no balance tube. Stainless
  • Mopar is the Borla cat-back with different tips. Made by Borla for Mopar
  • Ballanger has more mufflers than Borla. There is one after the cat and another one near the rear. Also has a balance tube. Not stainless steel
  • Corsa also has mufflers in the side and near the rear with a balance tube. Stainless

• B&B has side mufflers and an "X" pipe balance tube near the back. stainless
  • Snake-oyl (collectors Choice) system deletes the rear muffler with straight pipes. stainless
  • TNT and HMS have side mufflers and then straight pipes to the rear(optional "tunable" mufflers in the rear). no balance tubes. stainless
  • SuperTrapp. I've even seen supertrapp used out the rear.

go to club events and check out the range of sounds and styles and get what YOU like.

• Bellanger only has mufflers in the rear, there are no resonators in the sills.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Bellanger only has mufflers in the rear, there are no resonators in the sills.

:confused: Do you have a Balanger exhaust that does not have side sill mufflers or where did that statement come from? That statement is incorrect unless there has been a change. Since Balanger does not have a web site let me point you to the BTR site - the jedi pilot who has been selling their exhausts for a while:

http://www.btrviper.com/exhaust.html

From the description:
Our (Ballanger) cat-back system is constructed of 3" aluminized steel for flexibility and long life and incorporates such features as; a balance (crossover tube) 4 Dynomax 3" Race Bullet mufflers , chrome tips, and easy installation using your car's factory "J" hook hangers. The sound is incredible but doesn't have that resonance between 1500 and 3000 RPM's like most other systems do.

2 of those dynomax mufflers are in the side sills and 2 are near the rear of the car........ BTR sometimes removes the cats (for racing purposes....)so maybe that's why you are thinking there was no side sill muffler....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog