Okay, okay, more #277 pics and comments

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it snowed today - a lot. So no driving. Well, ALMOST no driving: I took my boys to school early this morning before the snow started. As each went at a different time, they asked if I could take them in the Viper. Gosh, twist my arm why don't you! First one gets dropped off at the high school and lots of rubbernecking going on. Still fairly dark out, but those HID's and the exhaust note woke up more than a few teenagers.

Next up is my younger son and uh-oh, we may have a problem: Seems today is band day (no, not Band-Aide) and my son needs to bring his baritone. For those that are not musically inclined, the baritone is a large brass instrument that, when in it's case, is roughly the size of a Mini Cooper. So our challenge is to find room for that AND his backpack (BTW, why is it when we were young we might have a book or two to bring, but kids these days look like Tibetan Sherpa guides bent over under the weight of a refrigerator?). It only took two moves and I had that baritone tucked in the trunk with no problem. Even managed to squeeze his backpack in as well. While the trunk isn't huge, it does seem to do okay!

Anyway, so it snowed, I was busy and I didn't get any pictures until tonight. That said, I remembered some of the earlier requests. So without further delay, here are a few (a lot) of pictures for you to check out. We will start with the requested pictures of the exhaust:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

Note that the exhaust actually comes up from BEHIND the port on the side. I haven't been under the car yet, so I don't know exactly how it routes (must pass through the sidesills somehow).

<center>
</center>

Notice that the tip does seem to be cut at an angle to match the opening. Looks very good, in my opinion. I am not sure if that is a dead hamster behind it, but will check tomorrow. Next up we have a few engine pictures. In this picture we see that the car has the "long lasting" red coolant instead of the green:

<center>
</center>

Haven't read that part of the manual yet, but could it really be this simple to check your coolant level? Hope so! (Probably just an overflow tank and not the reservoir) You may also notice that the washer fluid now has the "window" to see what the fluid level is (on the lower left). Much rather have that window on the washer fluid than the coolant. Cool!

Now, can anybody tell me what the "speed control" hose is? The car doesn't have cruise control, yet this hose is labeled "SPEED CONTROL". Heck, maybe that is just the part maker:

<center>
</center>

You might also note the serpentine belt and all the other goodies down below, as well as the rather unexciting cross support (unlike the pretty sporty looking earlier cars). And look Ma, we have a genuine steel-braided hose!

<center>
</center>

Okay, maybe the other Vipers have that - I am old, tired, and only have one Viper.
supergrin.gif
Okay, what have we here... Hey, my car doesn't have a rear seat video display. Heck, I don't even have rear seats! Navigation system? Nope, not in here. Ahhh, the HID lights, that is what qualifies me for this wonderful sticker on the door jamb:

<center>
</center>

<FONT size="1">(continued...)</FONT s>

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of door jambs, please heed this warning: Your seatbelt can be very easily wedged between the door and the seat, possibly causing damage to both:

<center>
</center>

You will notice that the buckle is over the padded part of the jamb - which the inner door seems to end up covering. I even had it fail to retract once and end up outside of the seal, which could really mess up your car if you slammed your door on it. This is especially true of passengers, as they could do this without thinking twice. I am now trying to remember to drop the belt over the top of the seat at the shoulder before I close the door:

<center>
</center>

Of course, that could also cause a problem if you plop right down in your seat and have the buckle gouge the seat, you, or both. Just something to keep an eye on. Oh, and in case you wondered what that other "CAUTION" sticker is above the heat warning on the door jamb, it reads: "CAUTION - Top Support Behind Seats is Not a Roll Bar. This is an Open Vehicle - Drive Carefully" In other words, be SURE to keep the shiny side up or you may be shopping for a lot more than a new toupee (like a stepladder to mow your lawn).

Say, has anybody talked about the steering wheel yet? Well, for the same reason the gas cap guy should be slapped (and we will assume a woman would not have been so thoughtless), the person that designed the steering wheel should be praised:

<center>
</center>

It has what appears to almost be carbon-fiber on the top and bottom, and thick leather on the sides. The inside wheel has a little of a "bump" at around 10:00 and 2:00 (okay, 9:30 and 2:30) which makes it feel like a better grip. Don't know if it is the materials, but the wheel seems ever so slightly smaller than my previous GTS. You will also notice two other things here: There is an actual air vent to the left of the steering wheel (HALLELUJAH!) and the light controls are gone. Nope, not gone. They are now on the left stalk, including the rheostat for the dash lights and the switch for the driving lights (like the switch of old, you simply pull it out to turn on the driving lights).

Next up we have one of the biggest aftermarket opportunities out there:

<center>
</center>

EVERYBODY loves the look of this car with the top down. And EVERYBODY asks, "What are those big holes behind the outside seats? Shouldn't there be a cover for those?" They are referring to where you can see the convertible top frame and braces. Not exactly ugly (gives it that classic ragtop look), but a little out of place on an otherwise streamlined car.

And hey, here is another picture of that GORGEOUS speedometer, with a few more miles since the last picture of it!

<center>
</center>

Oh yeah, and those pedals! Here we have the adjustable dead pedal and neighbors:

<center>
</center>

So you say "Dang, that clutch pedal and dead pedal are awfully close together!" You are correct. I have gone for the clutch a couple times only to get stopped by the dead pedal. Mind you, the angle of the photo may be a little misleading, but I do think it is much closer to the dead pedal than the brake. You can bring all the pedals forward electronically except the dead pedal, which can be moved manually (see the slot it moves in).

<FONT size="1">(continued...)</FONT s>

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And next we have a very valid concern posted by those that have driven at night:

<center>
</center>

See that spot up top? That is the reflection of the oil pressure gauge in the windshield from the driver's position. Ignore that amber glow off to the sides, as those are just my parking lights on the garage door - too dang cold out to open it. As I did drive the car last night, I noticed that the reflection of the oil gauge is indeed a pretty bright distraction...

Okay, one of the neat little tricks this car does (and it is very minor) is this:

<center>
</center>

See that little "patch" to the upper right of the shift boot? Most people think it is a "dead spot" for some switch to be added later - typical of many cars these days. However in this case, it is actually something you can use today. A power outlet!

<center>
</center>

Just a gentle push down and it pops right up for use. Remember that there is already another outlet inside the center console glovebox, so this once can be used for your radar detector while the other one charges your cell phone. Pretty slick!

Now we come to one of the more controversial bits on the SRT: The ashtray/cupholder. First, the ashtray:

<center>
</center>

It is "wedged in" with three thick black foam pads with two more on the bottom. This is probably to make sure that it doesn't rattle at all. And it doesn't. A quick tug and it is out, exposing what apparently is referred to on page 52 of the manual as a "cupholder":

<center>
</center>

(sorry the pictures are dark) This cupholder is too shallow and wide for any practical use. Maybe it wedged a Snapple bottle at the auto show, but it seems like anything else would fall over and out on the slightest turn. Some cupholder!

So, there you have it. Once again I am up past my bedtime but thought I would post some of the requested photos. If anybody wants any of these in a very large format (2240 x 1680), let me know. That applies to any SRT-10 pictures I have posted this week as well. Just be sure to tell me which picture you want and please limit it to one or two. I have other things I need to do, like figuring out the best way to pay for this baby!
supergrin.gif

Chris

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for all year pics and details......heck it would make a great second car to back up the GTS on those bad weather days
smile.gif
The speed control hose looks like may be going to the Idle air control housing (IAC).

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

The reflection in the windshield is what us Corvette owners know
as HUD or Heads Up Display. I guess it's new to the Viper for
smile.gif
No Extra Charge either!

Thanks for the additional pics!

2charmed

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris.....My Red SRT-10 leaves Woodhouse Friday morning and should arrive in Houston Saturday. Thanks to all of your pictures and commentary, I feel like I already know the car frontwards and backwards. No need to consult the owner's manual this time......Great job and thanks for all of the informative posts. David

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank 01GTS:
Come on Norman. You know you just GOTTA have one. You're hooked!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang you too Frank. hahaha I want to come over and check out your ride also. I checked out Mike's two nights ago. When are you free? I want to come see it.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Performin':

I should be in the garage all day tomorrow working on the plastic encapsulation, IF the stinkin' clearbra arrives today. Come on down!

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank 01GTS:
Mr. Performin':

I should be in the garage all day tomorrow working on the plastic encapsulation, IF the stinkin' clearbra arrives today. Come on down!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll call you tonight and set some plans. Oh man, I think I am hooked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4