OMG-it happened, in the DITCH

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can't believe it, but last night while taking a good ol friend for a ride in my 96 RT/10, I fish taled on the on ramp to the freeway, lost control and slide off the ramp onto a landscaped area (nice and soft, all that tan bark stuff) so
was hopefull until the rear end (pass side 1/4 panel behind
rear wheel) hit a metal fence post...Man, that was a tough
fence post...I guess it was better to be the opposite side from
the battery...

As you can imagine, I am totally depressed...I was obviously going to fast, but I think the original tires didn't help, they don't seem to grip real well...

Now I know you can't see the car, but the pass rear 1/4 is bent particularly underneath, and the trunk is toast and rear bumber, but I did drive her home...

Any general advice as I proceed into the repair phase??

thanks
Tomer
(totally depressed and still wondering what really happened)

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - seems to be a rash of accidents lately. Might have something to do with the cooler weather and less traction.

At least no one got hurt. I would give Jon B. at PartsRack a call - he can give you tips and advice on how to handle things with your insurance carrier.

Good luck,

Anthony

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe crashee's club can well do without more members. And I personally suspect that the cooler weather definetely has a factor in the spate of accidents.

I lost traction as well, and I wasnt even trying to speed.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

You're lucky that both you and your passenger were unharmed..
and the car is still driveable.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm glad you're OK and I know the Viper can be fixed.

Give Ted May a call at 408-448-8811. He'll fix you right up. He and his wife recently purchased a White '96 RT/10 and he and a body shop near his place have done some amazing work on it.

Hope you're back in action soon.

-Matt

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
As you can imagine, I am totally depressed...I was obviously going to fast, but I think the original tires didn't help, they don't seem to grip real well...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sad to hear about your accident but replace those 96 original tires. You would be surprised how much better it is with newer tires. Hopefully you will get it back as good as new.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! Condolences. This is, however, the most classic form of entry into the viper crasher's club. The elements are:
1.) Gen 1. (They LOVE to oversteer).
2.) On old sh*tty original tires.
3.) On COLD old sh*tty original tires.
4.) While giving a friend a ride. (a wee bit of showing off perhaps?)

More vipers have been crashed under these circumstances than all others combined. Now when a passenger urges me to race or open it up I say "forget it ... bad juju". I save that for me by myself all alone.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are REALLY starting to freak out the Viper renters......

Jon, I got 4 matching tires, just not on the car....... Still waiting for the proof.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
You guys are REALLY starting to freak out the Viper renters...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries....As long as you have 4, matching, well-treaded Pilot Sports aboard..... they are MUCH MORE FORGIVING that MXX3s or XGT-Zs ever were. The transitional response signals to buttocks, etc are much more noticable.

Their grip in traction-compromised conditions is amazing.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt:
.......Give Ted May a call at 408-448-8811. He'll fix you right up. He and his wife recently purchased a White '96 RT/10 and he and a body shop near his place have done some amazing work on it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that ! I'll be happy to work w/ Ted to get you sssssslitherin' sssssoon

OP
OP
T

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I need the support right now...I think the combo listed of Gen I, old cold tires, and taking a friend for a ride is exactly what got me...

Will let you-all know about the damage, should get a rough feel for it tomorrow.

Now JonB, pls e-mail me privately with a price on 4 new Pilot sports...I think this is the first order of bus assuming they don't total out the car...

Tomer

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom, I hadn't heard from you since I last e mailed you back to call me so we could meet up. I can't believe all the accidents happening-but at least you're okay. If you still want to hook up, give me a call or e mail
Kevin in Pleasanton 97GTS

vinman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to the Viper.. (Sept 01) but I noticed a big difference when the cooler weather hit Chicago... the tires break loose all too easy if I jump on the throttle even at 20-25 mph... no clutch I'm thinkin the engine likes the cold air a bunch and the traction is worse when the road and tires are not at the right temp...

just my 40% of a nickel...