On Jack Stands for a week in "Shakey Town"....Advice?

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Jack Stands for a week in \"Shakey Town\"....Advice?

Going to get my wheels chromed and car will be on jack stands for about 10 days. My concern is, that if we get an earthquake.....just a "shaker" not a "catastrophic" one...what other precautions could I take? Ideally, having three more "skinny" spares, would be a solution (great "poser" pics, too), or maybe additional "wood blocking". Any other suggestions? (Yeah, I know..move)

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: On Jack Stands for a week in

did you send them your wheels and tires? how did that work.....?

OP
OP
M

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Haven't done it yet. They will come over, remove wheels and tires, provide jack stands, take wheels & tires with them, chrome, and come back with tires mounted to the wheels, and remount on the car. California Chrome.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got mine in the air now.........jack stands holding up the frame, but two floor jacks also in position - one front, one rear - just in case the car comes off the stands.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine has been up on four jack stands for the past two weeks. I also have two floor jacks on either side just in case and I live in Illinois. Just don't want anything happening ya know :laugh:

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you have a tremor enough to knock it off of properly placed jack stands your shaking Viper will be the least of your worries.You got the right guys doing the job.John and his people wont take short cuts including securing your car

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I recomend snugging the lug nuts up on the brake rotors while its in the air, and putting a few peices of 2x8 under them. The rotors should be strong enough to support the car should it fall on them, and the 2x8's will keep the car off the ground. After all, brake rotors are cheaper than suspension, side sills, and jack stands through the floor.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just curious, where is the correct location for using
jackstands? The only place I saw in the manual recommended for support were those metal loops that you use the jack on; can't put the jack and jackstand on at the same point... LOL I saw where they recommend jacking up the entire front and/or rear at the center of some frame
crossmembers, but I'm a bit leary of that...

OP
OP
M

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are several "threads" citing the "y" and "k"? locations on the frame as the best supporting points. The frame (as I gather) is so stiff, that it would be difficult to cause any real damage. When you "look" under the car for a good "support" area....things become pretty obvious. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc