One complaint from the Dodge dealer...

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been tooling around to various dealerships looking for a Luxo SUV (don't worry, this isn't really off topic).

I found something that really bugs me. All the dealerships I went to had 1 thing in common. That being if you buy their "top end" brand vehicles (ie, Cadillacs at the GM dealer, Lincolns or Jags at Ford, etc...) they will give you, free of charge, a vehicle from the same line to drive during the time that yours is in for service.

Ie, you drop off the SeVille and they give you a DeVille or CTS to drive around (FREE). Even the lower end cars (ie chevy) will give you a curtosey car (***** mind you) after day 2 of in-service.

I dropped my Viper off at one of the better dealers in my neck of the woods and they didn't even offer to loan me a Neon, much less something closer in value to my car like a top end durango or something.

And my Viper cost more than any Caddy ever made...

One of the fun things to live with I suppose.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett, it's got to be the dealership. I do most of my own work, but when I took it in last Summer for the flywheel install the Service Mgr. Gave me the keys to his personal new Durango, and just said stop back in a few hours. I think if they had a Viper to loan they would have given it to me, but of course that's a whole different story. I believe Sean and I use the same dealer and the service manager is an MCVO member.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,
I second what Richard stated. I would not hesitate to take my car to a dealership where the Service manager is a Viper Owner and an involved MCVO member (Dick Scott Dodge in Canton/Plymouth).

However, a free 'same class' rental is usually a condition of buying the car from the dealer you are taking it in for service at. I notice that with my other cars. Not only free loaners, but priority in service scheduling, pick-up of my car from my driveway or place of work and leaving a rental. Advantage of buying locally.

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dropped it at Dick Scott actually (yesterday).

I mentioned what a pain it was to have to drop it off twice (they wanted 1 day to look it over and buy parts and another to actually do the work and since it's my daily driver, I needed it back in between).

I didn't buy from them, so maybe that's why??

If not I'll bring up the issue next time I'm there. It seems like something they would bring up if they offered it though (especially to a Viper owner).

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
I must be going to the wrong dealers with my Viper then.

I have never been offered one, I have been told I can RENT a car if I needed, but one has never been pro-offered for free.

Must be a New England thing......

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it isnt a new england thing. Its a DC thing. When I had my C5 and dropped it off at Chevy. They offered me a loaner car (which was a rental) if it ever needed to stay overnight. Usually wanst anything bad either. Had a trailblazer, and a malibu. Its no caddy, but it keeps you from needing to get a ride.

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, just confirmed w/Dick Scott. Other than a manager or someone going out on their own to lend you a car, you get-a no car-o.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dunno.gif
It depends on the size of the Dealership.
yesnod.gif