Open aluminum trailer needed.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have for sale or know where the best place to get an all aluminum (no paint) open car trailer in the Houston area. Is Big Tex the best place? Im needing a new or almost new all aluminum open LOW clearance entry/exit trailer that does not need boards added to drive on. I also need the front air dam that has the tire rack behind it or similar set up. Trailex or Featherlite possibly. Thanks

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trailer you seek doesn't exist. I looked for a long time to find an all-aluminum tilt back or rollback, but nobody makes one that is all aluminum. The rollbacks are all steel with just an aluminum deck.

My Aluma 20' tilt can be modified easily with aluminum fold-out ramps from Pitpal, to get the lowest of vehicles on it. Member RCC did that to his. Basically reduced the approach angle a lot, and added the extension ramps to the end. I bought the stuff, just haven't installed it. Big Tex on I45 North sells the Aluma trailers.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like my Sloan but as Tony mentioned the only thing aluminum is the deck. Our gas expedition towed it with a full set of slicks and four 5 gallon jugs just fine. My F350 tows it like it's not even back there. I just used it last weekend to go to MSR-H since I took the Green ACR (with windows).

If you have a track alignment with ride height around 3 inches on the front (My black car) you will need a board on each side to clear with the track extension on. If you are 4 inches or taller at the front (like K's Green car) you can pull on without a board.

I would assume you will need a board with a Sloan though. Good luck Mark and let us know what you go with.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also like my 20' sloan, not sure there is a tilt back you can get on without some help. Just bought race ramps 5.5" trailer ramps and these seem to work great. Just used them the first time this weekend with our enclosed trailer and were great. Sloan's are made up in Sherman and he can build to your specifications. Built a custom front end for hauling a set of slicks, a winch and room for tools/gas cans/etc for the three of us.

Richard

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trailer you seek doesn't exist. I looked for a long time to find an all-aluminum tilt back or rollback, but nobody makes one that is all aluminum. The rollbacks are all steel with just an aluminum deck.

My Aluma 20' tilt can be modified easily with aluminum fold-out ramps from Pitpal, to get the lowest of vehicles on it. Member RCC did that to his. Basically reduced the approach angle a lot, and added the extension ramps to the end. I bought the stuff, just haven't installed it. Big Tex on I45 North sells the Aluma trailers.
Thanks to all who responded. Good info from all and I will go by Big Tex as no shipping involved and the Aluma with hinged pit pal ramps may be the ticket but hope he has the options I need too. Is the 18 foot unit long enough or is the 20 really necessary? What length pit pal ramps to assure no rubbing on splitter? They have multiple sizes, or maybe Tom at Big Tex can make up some that are hinged on? Does the Aluma require electric operation or is it manual like the Sloan? I like the manual idea so no battery problems and extra maintenance. Thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Aluma require electric operation or is it manual like the Sloan? I like the manual idea so no battery problems and extra maintenance.
I have a Sloan; but, the Aluma looks like a good lightweight alternative.

I saw one this past weekend and did some research to learn some more about it. Looks like no electricity involved.

This is funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rIfFGY26lY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JL5ljQVMXpY#!