opened the drivers door & something went POP

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
00' rt/10 if that matters, I just opened it & heard a loud pop. Now the door won't stay open (passenger door when opened will stay open until I close it). Any suggestions, Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thassit. Common Prob...part not serviced without entire hinge assy.

[[I once looked into making that part in a kit...about $9 material cost, instructions. Would sell for $20-$30....but it was a $3000 R+D + minimum buy. Sorry]]]

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, it felt like there was a loose bolt down there but I couldn't quite get to it. Do you think I will need to take the sill off (I know its got to be down in there somewhere). Will I have to take the door off to replace it. I'm taking it to the body shop this week anyway to have the carpet replaced on the bottom of my doors. Not to hi-jack my own thread BUT what seems to be the best looking option (to put carpet back on it (black) or to put leather or vinyl, I'm thinking black either way). Looking for suggestions, Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hinge cover is the panel that's located right in front of your door. I don't have a picture handy. The hinge cover is secured by some screws. You can take it off but beware there are washers that sit behind some of those screws that may fall out as you loosen the panel. Keep a note of where they go for reassembly. The washers help with adjusting the hinge covers' spacing between the sill and door. I'll try to take a picture of the area tonight and post it.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lost the spring due to lack of lubrication.

You must be registered for see images attach

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful. If the piece of broken spring gets caught in the door it has been known to chip a piece of the door off.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys (Great pic Ron, now I know what to look for) 00' Model & it's probably Never been lubricated. I will lube the passenger door, any certain kind or will the regular type stuff do.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tony is correct,
The spring for the door stop has broken off and wedged itself in the door, this can brake the fiberglass at the door edge.

Remove hinge closeout panel and you will see what the issue is.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHITE Lithium Grease it is! Nobody still hasn't said what would look better (I'm changing out the cognac carpet on doors probably to black) would it look better to change it with a leather, vinyl or a better grade carpet? Thanks

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Drivers door sprung opener broke too, Horrid noise! I ended up drilling out the rivet and removing both pieces of sprung steel. I removed the plastic cover in front of the door and drilled out the rivet head with the hinge still in place on the car. OK my door now swings shut all the time now but its better than that cracking noise.

It would be good if we could get that sprung steel plate as a replacement part rather than replacing the whole hinge!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I've kept up with this thread and I also probably need to do this as maintenance issue. I found two versions of the white lithium grease...tube and spray can. I see that Ron uses the tube type...are there any cons to using the spray type, other than overspray (which I can keep minimized).

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
real original chad

:D

I hit the "reply with quote" button and then went blank on what it was called for a minute. By the time I remembered and posted...Jason had stolen my response :D

Okay, I've kept up with this thread and I also probably need to do this as maintenance issue. I found two versions of the white lithium grease...tube and spray can. I see that Ron uses the tube type...are there any cons to using the spray type, other than overspray (which I can keep minimized).

I use the spray type and haven't had any problems. I coat all moving parts real good and wipe off the excess.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably figured it out by now but here's the panel:

Hinge-Cover.jpg

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the lubricated spring intact on my driver's door and the door still self-closes . . . what's up with that?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the lubricated spring intact on my driver's door and the door still self-closes . . . what's up with that?

Most likely the spring has sprung. Meaning there is not enough spring tension and contact friction to hold the detent in place. The could be because the spring has already cracked,

Generally, with repeated flexing, metal becomes work hardened and brittle. The next flex causes it to break. You can see this for yourself if you have ever broken a metal coat hanger by flexing it back and forth until it snaps.

This is why proper spring steel and tempering is so important!

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel like the lone ranger. I had the same exact problem along with a lot of other members. The grease will help but I believe that the problem is more likely cause by poor tempering of the spring metal or even the spring material quality.

You want to get the broken spring piece out of the ASAP so that you don't damage the door skin.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/645697-Not-a-happy-Camper....?highlight=happy+camper
Damn, Radical that could have very well happened to me cause I didn't know what the hell that noise was & just kept opening & looking. Sorry about that, did you just do the touch up or get the whole door repainted. I definitely need to go find that loose piece before it does something similar. Thanks Again!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, Radical that could have very well happened to me cause I didn't know what the hell that noise was & just kept opening & looking. Sorry about that, did you just do the touch up or get the whole door repainted. I definitely need to go find that loose piece before it does something similar. Thanks Again!

I just did the touch up for now. I glued the pieces in to place and touched up the area. It is a temporary fix until I get the car into the body shop this winter. Does not look fantastic, but it doesn't draw you eye to it like it did when it was un-repaired.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably figured it out by now but here's the panel:

Hinge-Cover.jpg
OK Tony, Thanks to your pics I actually took that piece off & without it I probably wouldn't have attempted it because I didn't have a clue what to look for. But sure enough it looks almost identical to the one in Radicals pic. After I took that piece off it was laying right there!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad that you found it! Now, you might want to check the condition and lube the spring on the other side.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad that you found it! Now, you might want to check the condition and lube the spring on the other side.
Thanks Radical, Did all that Last Night! You know of all the tips in the different sections I don't recall ever seeing one about this particular problem, maybe it needs to be added. If I had known I definitely would have lubed it, but like you said earlier it seems like this piece just gets brittle & all the lube in the world might not help it. jmo

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thassit. Common Prob...part not serviced without entire hinge assy.

[[I once looked into making that part in a kit...about $9 material cost, instructions. Would sell for $20-$30....but it was a $3000 R+D + minimum buy. Sorry]]]

For 3K a guy could buy a lathe and a mill to do the job and still have money left over for material and R&D. Send me the plans.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Radical, Did all that Last Night! You know of all the tips in the different sections I don't recall ever seeing one about this particular problem, maybe it needs to be added. If I had known I definitely would have lubed it, but like you said earlier it seems like this piece just gets brittle & all the lube in the world might not help it. jmo

This exact thing happened to me not long ago. Big pop, door swings like a pantry door. A used one was a little pricey as I recall, 100 ish, but in good condition. Was a bit of a pain to remove the hinge, but I actually left the door 'connected' via the door wiring, and supported it on several towels atop the rocker cover.

Be sure to mark your current hinge to body to door locations to give good reference on reassembly. I did this and adjusting the door STILL took me over an hour. Someone with more skill probably could've done it in a few minutes. You'll find out the door is nearly infinitely adjust able, which is of course the trick to proper realignment.

But now the well lubed hinge (yes, on both sides) actually holds the door open.

Once you're in there, you'll see how it all works.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235