Outside Door Handle Works Sporadically

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question, but are you sure the door is unlocked when the outside handle isn't working?
My car tends to lock itself alot and the passenger door won't open from the outside (obviously).
I would assume there is some kind electrical connection in there that's going bad. As many parts as I've had my in doing different things, I haven't looked inside the door handle area.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wire going bad on the wire loom between the door and the body frame, mine did the same thing. Would work with door slightly open but nothing with the door full open, common problem on our cars, easy fix. Jeff

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wire going bad on the wire loom between the door and the body frame, mine did the same thing. Would work with door slightly open but nothing with the door full open, common problem on our cars, easy fix. Jeff

Jeff
Just wondering can you post the fix or best to PM you. Thanks

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a bad micro switch at the handle itself. There is a sweet spot where it works but nowhere else. Dealer wants $330, LOL. I'm going to clean it up or call Don Scharf for a new/used one.

Thanks for the responses.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a bad micro switch at the handle itself.
That's actually the first thing I thought of. Had the same problem when I first bought my car. It was a bit tricky to fix. Led to me breaking the infamous inner plastic window trim. Be careful!

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moon, glad your was just a sticky switch, I had to go the whole route of removing the Gil panel, moving the rubber moulded conduit between the door and body and pulling on the wires to see which one had let go or was right on the verge, found six broken wired while I was in there! After I was finished the handle worked, the key chime worked, which I hadn't noticed was inop, the drivers door open chime worked, the interior map light worked. All good now. :) take care. Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NachoViper